MikeInIdaho

Basic Connections

Question

I have a USB video capture dongle I purchased along with Creator 2009. I have now upgraded to Creator 2012 to video capture VHS tape to DVD. Is the dongle still usable with the new version? Do I need to update any drivers?

Even more basically, I need to know if I must connect BOTH the S-video cable as well as the red and white cables to the VCR? Roxio instructions ("after you have made the necessary connection...")assume that you know what you're doing instead of being very specific. I need help!

11 answers to this question

I have a USB video capture dongle I purchased along with Creator 2009. I have now upgraded to Creator 2012 to video capture VHS tape to DVD. Is the dongle still usable with the new version? Do I need to update any drivers?

Even more basically, I need to know if I must connect BOTH the S-video cable as well as the red and white cables to the VCR? Roxio instructions ("after you have made the necessary connection...")assume that you know what you're doing instead of being very specific. I need help!

Post a link to the exact product you bought?

Red/White are for the Sound, so yes they should be connected.

I don't think that the Creator 2009 USB device is compatible with Creator 2012.

The device currently sold is compatible with only :

• Only compatible with Roxio Creator 2010, Roxio Creator 2010 Pro, Roxio Creator 2011 and Roxio Creator 2011 Pro, Roxio Creator 2012 and Roxio Creator 2012 Pro

I would surmise from that there may have been a significant changes in those versions so that the 2009 device would not work with them. It is sort of a backward compatible issue. I do not have the earlier device to try.

Edited by sknis

ONE Device fits ALL Versions!

Best of all, the drivers all installed with both the 2011 as well as the 2012 Suite ;)

So you should be ready to try it :huh:

Thanks, Jim; I checked the driver for the USB device and it shows as up-to-date. I've got the device connected to the VCR (S-video to S-video out port plus red/white audio cables in the audio-out ports), but I still get a "No signal" message on the Media Import screen. True when the VCR is powered up and no change once I press "Play". I don't know why I'm so dense about this...don't have this problem in other areas of my life!!

Thanks, Jim; I checked the driver for the USB device and it shows as up-to-date. I've got the device connected to the VCR (S-video to S-video out port plus red/white audio cables in the audio-out ports), but I still get a "No signal" message on the Media Import screen. True when the VCR is powered up and no change once I press "Play". I don't know why I'm so dense about this...don't have this problem in other areas of my life!!

Go into your Device Manager and see if you show this:

post-68-031078700 1333139942.png

That's exactly what I see...

Good news..... know you need to prove that you have a good signal (video & audio) coming out of your VCR. Hook up the same cables into your TV and see if it works there.

Also make sure your VCR is set right for S-Video out (read your user manual) . If you need help with that give us the make and model #.

Edited by ogdens

Got it figured out and made my first capture; thanks for your help!

What did you do to fix it? It might help someone else.