22 replies to this topic

#1 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

When I start a recording, I'm trying to get my settings; then rewind my VHS and start after setting are made.
My very first screen I get is "Record Video"; then I get what is showing on my VHS tape.  To the right are my settings options (see attached).
I can give it a title; change the quality etc.
However, I CANNOT change the recording duration.   It won't even let me put a check in the box.  Other times, I can put a check in the box, but it still won't let me change the time.

One time I wrote to Roxio tech and they said that screen (attached) was an old version, however, it is what I have and is the only ROXIO program on this computer.

On another video, I did get a different screen that allowed me to change the time, but have no idea how I got that screen. Would love to be able to get it again.

Sure will appreciate any help you can offer.

I can select a menu (don't know what to do after I do that either, but not as important as the time)

Thank you, k

#2 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,682 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

View Postkaychan2, on 31 March 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

When I start a recording, I'm trying to get my settings; then rewind my VHS and start after setting are made.
My very first screen I get is "Record Video"; then I get what is showing on my VHS tape.  To the right are my settings options (see attached).
I can give it a title; change the quality etc.
However, I CANNOT change the recording duration.   It won't even let me put a check in the box.  Other times, I can put a check in the box, but it still won't let me change the time.

One time I wrote to Roxio tech and they said that screen (attached) was an old version, however, it is what I have and is the only ROXIO program on this computer.

On another video, I did get a different screen that allowed me to change the time, but have no idea how I got that screen. Would love to be able to get it again.

Sure will appreciate any help you can offer.

I can select a menu (don't know what to do after I do that either, but not as important as the time)

Thank you, k

You posted in the General Chat Forum. I moved it to the  Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus "How-to" and Usability Forum.

What option are you choosing from the start screen? You never attached anything read here> http://forums.suppor...n-cap-on-roxio/

Attached File  6.jpg   112.91K   3 downloads
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#3 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 31 March 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

You posted in the General Chat Forum. I moved it to the  Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus "How-to" and Usability Forum.

What option are you choosing from the start screen? You never attached anything read here> http://forums.suppor...n-cap-on-roxio/

Attachment 6.jpg

CORRECT, just as you show.  Then I get the screen I attached earlier.

Edited to get reply out of the quote.

Edited by grandpabruce, 31 March 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#4 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 31 March 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

Attachment 6.jpg

Hopefully I've attached the file this time.

Attached Files

#5 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,564 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

For that option, you have to insert a recordable DVD... Didn't you notice the yellow triangle showing you the error and solution? :huh:

It is impossible to set a recording time until it knows how big the disc is...

This is refereed to as 'Plug & Burn' and is considered the most high risk method of capture and burning ever devised!

None of us use it in real life, preferring the Record-Edit-Save instead ;)
Posted Image

#6 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

First, no I did not notice that triangle, HOWEVER, I DO have a recordable DVD in the burner. Been using from the same stack and they do record.

Maybe now you can see why I am having such problems getting things done.  

I did choose the record DVD option over the  record/edit/save option because I tried that once and ended up with nothing.

I just started another one, beginning with the record/edit/save option.  It is recording and I was able to set the recording time.
Hopefully I'll end up with something recorded.

Here is hoping.

#7 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

View Postkaychan2, on 31 March 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

First, no I did not notice that triangle, HOWEVER, I DO have a recordable DVD in the burner. Been using from the same stack and they do record.

Maybe now you can see why I am having such problems getting things done.  

I did choose the record DVD option over the  record/edit/save option because I tried that once and ended up with nothing.

I just started another one, beginning with the record/edit/save option.  It is recording and I was able to set the recording time.
Hopefully I'll end up with something recorded.

Here is hoping.

Tried the "record/edit/save" option.  Did save it, but now can't figure out how to actually burn it.  I don't know why this is so difficult for me.

#8 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Update

Started over with "Record/Edit/Save. (everything appeared to be working)
Clicked on record and when done, Saved
closed and opened again (only way to get it to do anything)

Had to start over to get the option to open the file I just saved and I actually had a button show up that said to burn, so I clicked on that.  Had a bar showing activity that  went for a VERY long time, so I assumed it was burning.  When the bar was full the DVD ejected.

When done, I put it in the computer to play. Nothing!!  All I had was the title screen.  The ONLY time I ever actually get anything recorded is when I click on BURN DVD at the beginning, which you recommend I NOT do.  However, with that option I NEVER get the option to change recording time, it is always grayed out.

Using the record/edit/save, I get the option to change recording time and it appears to be working, but this is not the first time it has NOT worked.

So frustrating.

#9 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,564 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

It could stand to be a little more intuitive :(

Your disc was not recognized, for whatever reason... When that happens eject and reaload the disc or swap it out with a new one! (disc brands... if it doesn't say Verbatim (Singapore) or Taiyo Yuden (JVC), don't even bring it home! ;) )

When you click on the Record, Edit and Save tab and you already have a clip recorded simply click on Import Video to add it to your Project. (they made it better but the button still looks grayed out - click it, it works!)

Attached File  Import Video Button.jpg   68.59K   10 downloads

Keep in mind the Default location for captured files is My Videos\Easy VHS to DVD\Captured Videos... That is where they live unless you change the default. It will always open to the LAST location you pointed it to ;)

Once you add one, you can do trims etc. When ready to Bun, click the Right Arrow at the bottom right corner to move on.

Attached File  Multiple Trims & Ends.jpg   91.81K   15 downloads

Pick the DVD by scrolling so it is in the center or clicking on it. Then click Export:

Attached File  Image27.jpg   115.23K   9 downloads
(I have Android Tablet selected in this pic - you want DVD)

Then it should burn, if not get back to us! ;)
Posted Image

#10 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 01 April 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

It could stand to be a little more intuitive :(

Your disc was not recognized, for whatever reason... When that happens eject and reaload the disc or swap it out with a new one! (disc brands... if it doesn't say Verbatim (Singapore) or Taiyo Yuden (JVC), don't even bring it home! ;) )

When you click on the Record, Edit and Save tab and you already have a clip recorded simply click on Import Video to add it to your Project. (they made it better but the button still looks grayed out - click it, it works!)

Attachment Import Video Button.jpg

Keep in mind the Default location for captured files is My Videos\Easy VHS to DVD\Captured Videos... That is where they live unless you change the default. It will always open to the LAST location you pointed it to ;)

Once you add one, you can do trims etc. When ready to Bun, click the Right Arrow at the bottom right corner to move on.

Attachment Multiple Trims &amp; Ends.jpg

Pick the DVD by scrolling so it is in the center or clicking on it. Then click Export:

Attachment Image27.jpg
(I have Android Tablet selected in this pic - you want DVD)

Then it should burn, if not get back to us! ;)

#11 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

You are such a blessing.  The instructions and pictures are SO GREAT.  Trust me, I am printing!!

Love your statement "it could be a little more intuitive" is an understatement.

This morning I looked at the DVD I thought I burned last night, but didn't play.  When I clicked properties it was full, but other than the intro screen with music, absolutely nothing happened.  Could not advance play or anything. Just like it was a blank disk.

My disks are Sony DVD+R.

Both times I've tried the  Record, Edit, Save, it seems to work until I get to the play part.  Dare I try it again?  I've thrown away several disks already.  The option of just recording seems to get the job done, EXCEPT I can't change the time duration, which, according to the booklet, it should. Am I missing a step here?

I love how you explain things with pictures.  Could you please write a manual for Roxio? ;)

In looking at your picture of the trims (no way I'm that far along), are the black space- video that you have cut out?  Can't even think that far ahead yet.  Would love to be able to change things, add titles etc., but guess the first thing is to actually end up with a video I can play.

I was ready to try with the record this morning, when I got your answer, so will try one more with the record-edit-save option.

I can't thank you enough for trying to help me.

Dare I even ask about the picture in your video? lol

#12 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,682 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

View Postkaychan2, on 01 April 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

You are such a blessing.  The instructions and pictures are SO GREAT.  Trust me, I am printing!!

Love your statement "it could be a little more intuitive" is an understatement.

This morning I looked at the DVD I thought I burned last night, but didn't play.  When I clicked properties it was full, but other than the intro screen with music, absolutely nothing happened.  Could not advance play or anything. Just like it was a blank disk.

My disks are Sony DVD+R.

Both times I've tried the  Record, Edit, Save, it seems to work until I get to the play part.  Dare I try it again?  I've thrown away several disks already.  The option of just recording seems to get the job done, EXCEPT I can't change the time duration, which, according to the booklet, it should. Am I missing a step here?

I love how you explain things with pictures.  Could you please write a manual for Roxio? ;)

In looking at your picture of the trims (no way I'm that far along), are the black space- video that you have cut out?  Can't even think that far ahead yet.  Would love to be able to change things, add titles etc., but guess the first thing is to actually end up with a video I can play.

I was ready to try with the record this morning, when I got your answer, so will try one more with the record-edit-save option.

I can't thank you enough for trying to help me.

Dare I even ask about the picture in your video? lol

I see your still having trouble quoting a post and adding text.

Since pics help here you go.

Attached File  Q.jpg   231.91K   2 downloads
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#13 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 01 April 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

I see your still having trouble quoting a post and adding text.

Since pics help here you go.

Attachment Q.jpg

Oh dear.  Trying again.  Is this correct; I hope?  Yes, I DO like the pictures.  Just the kind of brain I have.

#14 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,682 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

View Postkaychan2, on 01 April 2012 - 06:03 AM, said:

Oh dear.  Trying again.  Is this correct; I hope?  Yes, I DO like the pictures.  Just the kind of brain I have.

Yes you did good the quote and the reply outside of the quote.

If you need anymore help please stop back!
cd
Spoiler

#15 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 01 April 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

Yes you did good the quote and the reply outside of the quote.

If you need anymore help please stop back!

alright! Thank you.

#16 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Just finished recording, again, using record,edit,save.  When it finished I chose to burn. However, it kept telling me to insert a recordable disk.  I had a disk in already. It wouldn't record w/o a disk.  So, I then took out the disk that was in the whole time while the VHS was playing and inserted a NEW disk.  It then gave me the burn icon, which I clicked on.  It says it is recording.  We'll see when it is done.  Last time it took forever.

My questions now is, why two disks?  I just looked at the disk that was in from the beginning and it says it is full, however if I try to play it says insert disk.  I understand that, since it did not burn.

Does it really take two disks for each burn this way?  Does not make sense to me.

#17 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,564 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

View Postkaychan2, on 01 April 2012 - 07:50 AM, said:

Just finished recording, again, using record,edit,save.  When it finished I chose to burn. However, it kept telling me to insert a recordable disk.  I had a disk in already. It wouldn't record w/o a disk.  So, I then took out the disk that was in the whole time while the VHS was playing and inserted a NEW disk.  It then gave me the burn icon, which I clicked on.  It says it is recording.  We'll see when it is done.  Last time it took forever.

My questions now is, why two disks?  I just looked at the disk that was in from the beginning and it says it is full, however if I try to play it says insert disk.  I understand that, since it did not burn.

Does it really take two disks for each burn this way?  Does not make sense to me.
Something got burned to that disc and it was finalized... It only takes a byte (plus header, lead-in & lead-out) to render a disc finished! Disc which are +R or -R can only be used ONCE!

You might want to have a disc or 2 of DVD RW on hand. These are erasable and reusable :o That makes them GREAT for learning and testing things out. DON'T use them for anything permanent as they fade over time and use and become unusable  :(

While I only recommend Verbatim & TY's, I think well of Sony. Just keep in mind that Sony has yet to manufacture a single disc! They all come from the lowest bidder, but Sony seems to set the QC requirements higher than say, "Staples brand" :lol:

I have had some that went bad just sitting on my shelf :angry: I also have some cheap DL discs on hand (0.40) that I will sacrifice for testing without giving it a second thought ;)  

You are learning and moving forward which is good! You can ask about my pics, but I think that one came from the beta testing and I was grabbing whatever was at hand for testing purposes. I wanted something LONG so I created a 2 hour test clip that I could play with...

DVD Capacity is about 1 hour for a 4.7 GB at High Quality or about 2 hours if you have an 8.5 GB... Generally you can't go under HQ with VHS captures because it is lower quality to begin with and will degrade FAST! :huh:
Posted Image

#18 kaychan2

kaychan2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 01 April 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

Something got burned to that disc and it was finalized... It only takes a byte (plus header, lead-in & lead-out) to render a disc finished! Disc which are +R or -R can only be used ONCE!

You might want to have a disc or 2 of DVD RW on hand. These are erasable and reusable :o That makes them GREAT for learning and testing things out. DON'T use them for anything permanent as they fade over time and use and become unusable  :(

While I only recommend Verbatim & TY's, I think well of Sony. Just keep in mind that Sony has yet to manufacture a single disc! They all come from the lowest bidder, but Sony seems to set the QC requirements higher than say, "Staples brand" :lol:

I have had some that went bad just sitting on my shelf :angry: I also have some cheap DL discs on hand (0.40) that I will sacrifice for testing without giving it a second thought ;)  

You are learning and moving forward which is good! You can ask about my pics, but I think that one came from the beta testing and I was grabbing whatever was at hand for testing purposes. I wanted something LONG so I created a 2 hour test clip that I could play with...

DVD Capacity is about 1 hour for a 4.7 GB at High Quality or about 2 hours if you have an 8.5 GB... Generally you can't go under HQ with VHS captures because it is lower quality to begin with and will degrade FAST! :huh:

You are such a wealth of information.  I so appreciate your help.  I'm obviously doing something wrong when I use the record,edit/save button.  I just did the same VHS again using the record only button and got the video with sound.

No idea, why I either get nothing or video w/o sound when I use the other one. (I'd like to use that one since it gives me other options, but have not had it work yet).  It is beyond my expertise for sure.

As usual, I'm printing your info to make my own manual. ;)

Thanks for the picture info on your samples.  You have to admit the picture was, um different, lol.

If you have a brainstorm and figure out why "I" cannot seem to burn a disk with picture and sound using the "record/edit/save" button, please let me know.

Thanks again.  I'd sure be up a creek w/o a paddle without this list.

k

#19 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,564 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'll have to play around a little and see if anything comes to mind.  ;)
Posted Image

#20 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,564 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

OK, go under File - Preferences and set Render to Software!

Attached File  File - Preferences.jpg   115.5K   6 downloads

I have never tried the Audo Normalize, but by default it is OFF, leave it that way ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users