• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 joca

joca

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Video making, playing music (piano & organ) walking my dog, working with graphics

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

I have a mega too big file to burn to a 4.7 or Dual Layer disk. Can I splt the project whilst keeping the integrity of all the files like audio/ effects etc in place so as to end up with two complete project files intact ????
Served in HM forces 1958-1960
Running windows 7 pro 64bit
Printer:- Canon Pixmia MG6250
Canon MFS200 Vixia HD camcorder

1 x Kingston 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Memory Kit CL9 1.65V
1 x AMD Phenom II1 X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
1 x Asus M5A88-M EVO Socket AM3+ onboard Graphics 8 channel Audio mATX Motherboard
1 x Powercool Modular 550W PSU 80+ Dual 12V V2.2 High Efficiency  

1 x    Samsung 128GB 830 series SSD SATA 6Gb/s  
1 x Crucial 64GB M4 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read 415MB/s Write 95MB/s -

1 x Asus 24x DVD±RW with DL and RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
1 x Sapphire HD 6570 1GB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

Also
MacBookPro7,1
  Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
  Number Of Processors: 1
  Total Number Of Cores: 2
  L2 Cache: 3 MB
  Memory: 4 GB
  Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
  SMC Version (system): 1.62f6
  Sudden Motion Sensor:

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,132 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Yes.

Assume you call your entire project, Big.

Split Big and save as LEFT. Delete everything to the Left of where you split it...

Save as RIGHT.

Now open LEFT and delete everything to the Right of where you split it.

Save the file.

Edited by Jim_Hardin, 01 April 2012 - 12:43 PM.

Posted Image

#3 joca

joca

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Video making, playing music (piano & organ) walking my dog, working with graphics

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 01 April 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

Yes.

Assume you call your entire project, Big.

Split Big and save as LEFT. Delete everything to the Left of where you split it...

Save as RIGHT.

Now open LEFT and delete everything to the Right of where you split it.

Save the file.

Jim it does not work with files intact. When it is split into 2 parts left and right part one/left is fine it comes as is everything is fine and insitu but when you come to part two/right it just moves up to the start to claim the zero spot but all the bits don't move with it and there are mega lot to re-edit. I am looking for a way to split.and save each half so they will both load back into VW complete with each half intact if it can be done.

1 x AMD Phenom II1 X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
1 x Asus M5A88-M EVO Socket AM3+ onboard Graphics 8 channel Audio mATX Motherboard

Also
MacBookPro7,1
  Sudden Motion Sensor:

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

View Postjoca, on 02 April 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

Jim it does not work with files intact. When it is split into 2 parts left and right part one/left is fine it comes as is everything is fine and insitu but when you come to part two/right it just moves up to the start to claim the zero spot but all the bits don't move with it and there are mega lot to re-edit. I am looking for a way to split.and save each half so they will both load back into VW complete with each half intact if it can be done.

You made the cardinal mistake of not using Internal tracks for the video/images additions.

Take the project you have edited and, in Video Wave, select to output the file to "mpg2 for DVD best quality"  (for standard definition).  Remember where you place the file.  Once it completes, (long time for your long video), close the project and start a new one add only the mpg2 video.  Split that and follow the directions to save both halves. Proceed as you would with two DVD projects.

Here is the place where you need to decide where to split the two half.  Make sure they are very close to being equal.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#5 joca

joca

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

View Postsknis, on 02 April 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

You made the cardinal mistake of not using Internal tracks for the video/images additions.

Take the project you have edited and, in Video Wave, select to output the file to "mpg2 for DVD best quality"  (for standard definition).  Remember where you place the file.  Once it completes, (long time for your long video), close the project and start a new one add only the mpg2 video.  Split that and follow the directions to save both halves. Proceed as you would with two DVD projects.

Here is the place where you need to decide where to split the two half.  Make sure they are very close to being equal.
Thanks Dave I will have a go at that.

Also
MacBookPro7,1
  Sudden Motion Sensor:

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

It is Steve; not Dave -- unless you are talking to someone else.  Posted Image
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#7 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,132 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

He could be consulting the 'voices in his head' :lol:  :P  :lol:

If you are through with your edits there is another way to do this and keep everything intact...

You output to a video file (Export As).

Then load that file and split it. Do the Left/Right Exports as I indicated above ;)

Once you Export As, there are no more transitions, overlays or tracks! Everything is combined into a single video clip.

For future projects you want to try to use Steve's advice about internal tracks... However, that will fail if you have a music clip, for example, and need it to span 2 or more video clips! Cant' do it on internal tracks.
Posted Image

#8 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Confusing having two thread going isn't it.  I did mention exporting to a mpg2 file in post #4 above.  (I used output rather than export though.

Two of us have made the same recommendation so we must be right ! Posted ImagePosted Image
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#9 joca

joca

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 02 April 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

He could be consulting the 'voices in his head' :lol:  :P  :lol:

If you are through with your edits there is another way to do this and keep everything intact...

You output to a video file (Export As).

Then load that file and split it. Do the Left/Right Exports as I indicated above ;)

Once you Export As, there are no more transitions, overlays or tracks! Everything is combined into a single video clip.

For future projects you want to try to use Steve's advice about internal tracks... However, that will fail if you have a music clip, for example, and need it to span 2 or more video clips! Cant' do it on internal tracks.

Jim there are a couple of points that you make 1. quote" he could be consulting the voices in his head. I find this comment quite unnecessary in fact it is quite rude
2. the audio tracks are quite long and cannot go on the internal track or else they would. I have a problem to which I am trying to find a solution, I appreciate all the advice given here even the bits that don't work. I have or will try everything that has been advised from which I will take the best solution that works for me.
In reality what I should have done is to have made two files in the first place but at the time I thought I could get them on a dual layer disk which I now know I can't

Also
MacBookPro7,1
  Sudden Motion Sensor:

#10 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,465 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

View Postjoca, on 02 April 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Jim there are a couple of points that you make 1. quote" he could be consulting the voices in his head. I find this comment quite unnecessary in fact it is quite rude
2. the audio tracks are quite long and cannot go on the internal track or else they would. I have a problem to which I am trying to find a solution, I appreciate all the advice given here even the bits that don't work. I have or will try everything that has been advised from which I will take the best solution that works for me.
In reality what I should have done is to have made two files in the first place but at the time I thought I could get them on a dual layer disk which I now know I can't

Jim was making light about sknis post "It is Steve; not Dave -- unless you are talking to someone else."

I'm sure Jim meant no disrespect.

Now that you recognize your mistake I doubt you will make it again..
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#11 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,132 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

Don't be silly, we joke all the time! :lol:
Posted Image

#12 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

View Postjoca, on 02 April 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

How can the audio track be too long for a video's internal track.  Are you saying that you wwant the audio to be extended over more than one video file that is added?  In that case, you are correct.  Do it the other way.
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#13 joca

joca

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

View Postsknis, on 03 April 2012 - 02:07 AM, said:

How can the audio track be too long for a video's internal track.  Are you saying that you wwant the audio to be extended over more than one video file that is added?  In that case, you are correct.  Do it the other way.

Steve that is exactly the situation more than one edited audio ALSO some overlays spread between two files ALSO effects that is why it has been important to me to try and find a way to split a project into complete  two parts because I spent many hours editing. OK I know now that I should have made provision to make two dvd's but I really thought with a small amount of compression I could get it onto a dual layer disk, because I have been told previously that a 1hr 14min project would go onto a single disk and the quality would not fall that much SO my logic was telling me that I could get a 2hr 13min project onto a dual layer disk. but alas I'm wrong. However we have to move on but out of this perhaps you guys might be able to suggest to roxio that such an application to split lumps of projects complete could be very useful. My opinion

Also
MacBookPro7,1
  Sudden Motion Sensor:

#14 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

View Postjoca, on 03 April 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

Steve that is exactly the situation more than one edited audio ALSO some overlays spread between two files ALSO effects that is why it has been important to me to try and find a way to split a project into complete  two parts because I spent many hours editing. OK I know now that I should have made provision to make two dvd's but I really thought with a small amount of compression I could get it onto a dual layer disk, because I have been told previously that a 1hr 14min project would go onto a single disk and the quality would not fall that much SO my logic was telling me that I could get a 2hr 13min project onto a dual layer disk. but alas I'm wrong. However we have to move on but out of this perhaps you guys might be able to suggest to roxio that such an application to split lumps of projects complete could be very useful. My opinion

Are you even reading your other thread?  Encode the project to an mpg2 file and then split it into as many parts as you want.  You shoulod be able to get the project onto 2 discs with some (minor) reduction in quality.

I'm not sue what else to say or of there are any other suggestions that can be made.  Perhaps it is time to close this thread?
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#15 joca

joca

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

View Postsknis, on 04 April 2012 - 03:53 AM, said:

Are you even reading your other thread?  Encode the project to an mpg2 file and then split it into as many parts as you want.  You shoulod be able to get the project onto 2 discs with some (minor) reduction in quality.

I'm not sue what else to say or of there are any other suggestions that can be made.  Perhaps it is time to close this thread?

Yes Steve I do read all threads and I think I already said that I would give it a try and I will. I sat up most of last night re editing the second split and it took a long time and I fear that with all my chasing about trying to burn the whole file etc and trying Jims splits I have messed up my settings now so have to sort that out so let me ask you this and I apologise if I am repeating myself I am going to burn to mpg2 just so I know how to do it. I export the file select play back dvd. select mpg2 best and burn. What steps do I take to split the file i.e. where is it done? do I edit in mydvd? I do appriciate the time you guys put in here but please remember you have probably done it loads of times for me it's a first and the manual is not a lot of use with the technical multi tasking stuff. Cheers

Also
MacBookPro7,1
  Sudden Motion Sensor:

#16 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

View Postjoca, on 04 April 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Yes Steve I do read all threads and I think I already said that I would give it a try and I will. I sat up most of last night re editing the second split and it took a long time and I fear that with all my chasing about trying to burn the whole file etc and trying Jims splits I have messed up my settings now so have to sort that out so let me ask you this and I apologise if I am repeating myself I am going to burn to mpg2 just so I know how to do it. I export the file select play back dvd. select mpg2 best and burn. What steps do I take to split the file i.e. where is it done? do I edit in mydvd? I do appriciate the time you guys put in here but please remember you have probably done it loads of times for me it's a first and the manual is not a lot of use with the technical multi tasking stuff. Cheers

As I said oin the other thread, once you have output (encoded) the whole file (2 plus hours)   to the mpg2 file, bring that mpg2 into a new Video Wave project.  Split it about half way where it is convenient and doesn't do too much damage to the continuity.  Delete everything after the split..  Save it as a new project.  

Start a new project and add the original 2 plus hour mpg2 file.  Split it near where you did it before for the first half ,  Delete  the first half.  If you put the split  a little earlier, then the DVD will have a few seconds or minutes of the first section.  Now save that as another file name.   Close Video Wave.

Go to Create DVD, -  you may want to not use a menu to save space on the final DVD.  Add the first file and burn to a DVD or ISO file or folder set (your preference and put that on a DVD.  Repeat for the second half.   In Create DVD, make sure you are encoding to best quality.  When you burn to an ISO file or folder set, it will be encoded to the best quality that will fit on the DVD.

I think I got all that right.  let me know if there is something you don't understand.

I know that you are making this for your family.  Do you know what kind of files they can play on their DVD player.  If you intend to do a lot of longer project, consider something like DivX.  You can but it as a stand alone or it comes with Creator 2012 Pro.  DivX produces DVD with good quality and you can put more than about 5 hours on a disc.

Of course, there is always blu-ray -- but that is a higher cost alternative.
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#17 joca

joca

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

View Postsknis, on 04 April 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

As I said oin the other thread, once you have output (encoded) the whole file (2 plus hours)   to the mpg2 file, bring that mpg2 into a new Video Wave project.  Split it about half way where it is convenient and doesn't do too much damage to the continuity.  Delete everything after the split..  Save it as a new project.  

Start a new project and add the original 2 plus hour mpg2 file.  Split it near where you did it before for the first half ,  Delete  the first half.  If you put the split  a little earlier, then the DVD will have a few seconds or minutes of the first section.  Now save that as another file name.   Close Video Wave.

Go to Create DVD, -  you may want to not use a menu to save space on the final DVD.  Add the first file and burn to a DVD or ISO file or folder set (your preference and put that on a DVD.  Repeat for the second half.   In Create DVD, make sure you are encoding to best quality.  When you burn to an ISO file or folder set, it will be encoded to the best quality that will fit on the DVD.

I think I got all that right.  let me know if there is something you don't understand.

I know that you are making this for your family.  Do you know what kind of files they can play on their DVD player.  If you intend to do a lot of longer project, consider something like DivX.  You can but it as a stand alone or it comes with Creator 2012 Pro.  DivX produces DVD with good quality and you can put more than about 5 hours on a disc.

Of course, there is always blu-ray -- but that is a higher cost alternative.
The large file is encoding as I write this.My family are 23 actor friends LOL! but most don't have bluray players hence the hassle but hey life would be a bit boring without some hassle it just seems I have had a years supply in the last week. Thanks for posting this how to I will give it my best shot

Also
MacBookPro7,1
  Sudden Motion Sensor:

#18 joca

joca

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Steve now have the large file mpg2 split into two, ready to burn tomorrow. The files are 1hr 3 mins and 1hr 10 mins I put a small intro clip to part two, Will let you know later how I got on.

Also
MacBookPro7,1
  Sudden Motion Sensor:

#19 joca

joca

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Oh dear another problem.
Have encoded the whole file as suggested
have split the whole file into two i.e. part one and part two
have loaded part one as a new project in VW and saved
have loaded saved part one into VW
have sent to my DVD to make image ISO
settings as required HQ 4.7 gig disk
BUT problem
it outputs to two folders
Roxio plasma
VIDEO TS

BUT I am definately not out putting to file folders but image iso

There must be a setting that I am missing but what ???

Adding to this post
I have tried to burn to a dvd and I can't because I am told that there is not enough room on the hard disk to take the ISO image or th FOLDER SET which is strange because I am trying to burn a 4.5g file onto a 4.7g dvd.
ther is something very wrong here with my settings I am resisting saying the programme

either way I would be burning to a blank disk or a 750 Gig external drive

Edited by joca, 05 April 2012 - 01:36 AM.

Also
MacBookPro7,1
  Sudden Motion Sensor:

#20 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,719 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

View Postjoca, on 04 April 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Oh dear another problem.
Have encoded the whole file as suggested
have split the whole file into two i.e. part one and part two
have loaded part one as a new project in VW and saved
have loaded saved part one into VW
have sent to my DVD to make image ISO
settings as required HQ 4.7 gig disk
BUT problem
it outputs to two folders
Roxio plasma
VIDEO TS

BUT I am definately not out putting to file folders but image iso

There must be a setting that I am missing but what ???

Adding to this post
I have tried to burn to a dvd and I can't because I am told that there is not enough room on the hard disk to take the ISO image or th FOLDER SET which is strange because I am trying to burn a 4.5g file onto a 4.7g dvd.
ther is something very wrong here with my settings I am resisting saying the programme

either way I would be burning to a blank disk or a 750 Gig external drive

Burn the folder set to the DVD using Copy and Convert.  You should have no problem with that application.

Attached Files

PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users