kankichi

Video Compression When Burning To Dvd

Question

I have very large and very very clear mov files that I would like to burn to DVD.

In this particular example, I have two 80sec MOV files both at around 2GB. When I play them on my 24in computer screen they are very clear. I am using toast to burn them to DVD. I would like two keep the clarity as much as possible. Without tweaking the settings, I tried two things.

1. Adding both files in the Video DVD section and just clicking burn, straight into a DVD disk. Burning worked fine

-This resulted in a disk with BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders. inside BDMV > Stream, there are the files. The video quality is not good and it doesn't play on all computers.

2. Adding both files in the Video DVD section and then burning Disk Image. Then I burnt the .toast file (158MB) as data to a DVD disk.

-This resulted in the DVD disk having a .toast file first, then opening and then seeing Video_TS. The quality was not nearly as good as the original MOV.

So, I want to make a DVD with the highest quality video that would also play on most all devices including normal DVD players.

How would I accomplish this?

Thank you very much.

8 answers to this question

Your first test must have using the Blu-ray disc setting rather than the DVD video setting. A video DVD has a VIDEO_TS folder and a Blu-ray disc has a BDMV folder. That disc can only play on a Blu-ray player or with a computer application that plays Blu-ray discs. The Roxio Video Player that's opened via the Toast Extras menu can play Blu-ray discs that Toast creates. But this doesn't meet your goal of universal playback.

The problem with video DVD is that it is standard definition. It's 720x480 pixels don't look good when expanded to much higher-resolution computer screens. It's best to view a video DVD at normal or actual size where it takes up maybe a quarter to a third of the screen. But while video DVDs don't look great on computer screens they do look good on TVs. Many HDTVs will upscale the SD video DVD picture to HD resolution so that it looks better than it otherwise would.

As for the best settings in Toast. Click the Customize... button in the Toast Video window and then click the Encoder tab and the Custom button in the window that appears. Move the average and maximum bit rate sliders to the right, but I don't recommend more than an 8.5 mbps maximum and a 7.5 mbps average. More than that won't do any noticeable good and it could cause some DVD players to stutter on playback. Put a check mark next to Half-Pel and close the window. This will get you as good a picture quality as Toast's mpeg encoder can create.

You'll have lots of space remaining on the disc. If you wanted to you could include the source video as full-resolution h.264 videos on the disc so that people can play those on their computers in HD or watch the video DVD on their TV in SD.

You are always so helpful Tsanti. Thank you so much.

I understand. I didn't have a chance to test it on a TV yet but what you are saying makes perfect sense. So then I have two follow up questions. 

1. What is the way I should burn the disk to make it most universally playable? The second method I took of burning to a disk image first then burning to blank disk? I assume there is an easier and more efficient way?

2. How do I add the H.264 video as well do that computers can see it in HD? That would solve my problem. And in this case, if I were to put it into a Bluray player, it would read the HD too right? Not the SD?

Thank you very much!

Your first test must have using the Blu-ray disc setting rather than the DVD video setting. A video DVD has a VIDEO_TS folder and a Blu-ray disc has a BDMV folder. That disc can only play on a Blu-ray player or with a computer application that plays Blu-ray discs. The Roxio Video Player that's opened via the Toast Extras menu can play Blu-ray discs that Toast creates. But this doesn't meet your goal of universal playback.

The problem with video DVD is that it is standard definition. It's 720x480 pixels don't look good when expanded to much higher-resolution computer screens. It's best to view a video DVD at normal or actual size where it takes up maybe a quarter to a third of the screen. But while video DVDs don't look great on computer screens they do look good on TVs. Many HDTVs will upscale the SD video DVD picture to HD resolution so that it looks better than it otherwise would.

As for the best settings in Toast. Click the Customize... button in the Toast Video window and then click the Encoder tab and the Custom button in the window that appears. Move the average and maximum bit rate sliders to the right, but I don't recommend more than an 8.5 mbps maximum and a 7.5 mbps average. More than that won't do any noticeable good and it could cause some DVD players to stutter on playback. Put a check mark next to Half-Pel and close the window. This will get you as good a picture quality as Toast's mpeg encoder can create.

You'll have lots of space remaining on the disc. If you wanted to you could include the source video as full-resolution h.264 videos on the disc so that people can play those on their computers in HD or watch the video DVD on their TV in SD.

You are always so helpful Tsanti. Thank you so much.

I understand. I didn't have a chance to test it on a TV yet but what you are saying makes perfect sense. So then I have two follow up questions. 

1. What is the way I should burn the disk to make it most universally playable? The second method I took of burning to a disk image first then burning to blank disk? I assume there is an easier and more efficient way?

Choose the DVD video format. It doesn't matter if you first save as a disc image unless you are going to include additional "data" content in which it is either something you either must do or must not do as I'll explain below.

2. How do I add the H.264 video as well do that computers can see it in HD? That would solve my problem. And in this case, if I were to put it into a Bluray player, it would read the HD too right? Not the SD?

This is going to take some explaining. The normal way of adding data content is to choose that option in the Toast Video window. Then go to the Data window and choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format. Click New Disc and give the disc the same name as you've named the DVD video. Now add your HD video files. Go back to the Video window to burn the DVD. If you choose Save as Disc Image the data content won't be included when you burn the disc image to disc. The workaround to that is to mount the disc image and start a new project in the Data window with DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format. Click New Disc and then add the VIDEO_TS folder and the video files to the Data window and burn your DVD.

The videos you add as data content can be played on a computer. I doubt if they will play on a Blu-ray player because they are not authored as a Blu-ray video. However, some Blu-ray players can play video files via USB or streaming so maybe they can play them from the disc. You also can try something I don't know will work. You can save a DVD video disc image to get a VIDEO_TS folder and you can also save a Blu-Ray video disc to create the BDMV folder. Mount both disc images and go to the Data window (with DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format and drag in both the VIDEO_TS folder and the BDMV folder. You also can drag in the video files. Now burn your disc. I don't know what will happen when the disc is inserted in a Blu-ray player and in a DVD player but it is worth a look.

It sounds from your description that the videos have not yet been saved as h.264 MPEG 4. You can do this via the Toast Convert window.

Help.. thanks for all you do to help us idiots..

I am new to toast 11. I have a 5.7gb video in mpeg 4 format.. When i save it as an image to burn on a regular dvd.. it generates an extension of .toast. When I try to drag the file into the burn dvd toast 11 says it does not recognize the file as supported. My short question is:

How do i burn a file on a 4.7gb dvd to get the highest quality? These files came of a VHS.. I also tried to find the copy file once i had the image burned but could not locate that menu item..

I very much appreciate your direction..

thank again

Help.. thanks for all you do to help us idiots..

I am new to toast 11. I have a 5.7gb video in mpeg 4 format.. When i save it as an image to burn on a regular dvd.. it generates an extension of .toast. When I try to drag the file into the burn dvd toast 11 says it does not recognize the file as supported. My short question is:

How do i burn a file on a 4.7gb dvd to get the highest quality? These files came of a VHS.. I also tried to find the copy file once i had the image burned but could not locate that menu item..

I very much appreciate your direction..

thank again

The .toast file is a disc image. You burn those to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window. I'm assuming you were in the Toast Video window with DVD Video as the setting when you created the disc image in the first place. If so the encoding is already complete. From your description this is a very long video or it was high definition. You may need to use a dual-layer disc.

I simply want to create a DVD of a quicktime that I made in Final Cut Pro (XDCAM HD 1080p24) in the best possible quality.

I would very much appreciate a step by step explanation,. I have only had Toast11 Pro for 5 days and have been using this program for the last 3 nights and know that I tried almost everything. Instead of listing everything that I've tried, I thought it might be easier to ask the correct process I should be doing and if and when I get an error message I can at least know that I am doing it properly and I can go from there. I'm hoping that there is a simple explanation, right?

Thank you very much ahead of time for your time and energy!

I simply want to create a DVD of a quicktime that I made in Final Cut Pro (XDCAM HD 1080p24) in the best possible quality.

I would very much appreciate a step by step explanation,. I have only had Toast11 Pro for 5 days and have been using this program for the last 3 nights and know that I tried almost everything. Instead of listing everything that I've tried, I thought it might be easier to ask the correct process I should be doing and if and when I get an error message I can at least know that I am doing it properly and I can go from there. I'm hoping that there is a simple explanation, right?

Thank you very much ahead of time for your time and energy!

Be aware that a standard-definition video DVD won't look nearly as good as your original high-definition video. The best quality is achieved by doing the following steps. If you still have your Final Cut project available then you need to export the video using my suggested QuickTime settings. If you already have exported the movie from Final Cut you can alternatively use the Toast Convert window to convert the video to these QuickTime settings. I'm attaching an image that shows how those settings should look in the QuickTime custom settings window. (Note that I chose NTSC. If you're in a PAL area you should use PAL instead).

1. Click Settings in the Video area and select DVCPRO50 (either NTSC or PAL depending on your country) as the Compression Type. Choose Progressive as the Scan Mode. Set the aspect ratio either as 4:3 or 16:9 depending on what you're wanting. Slide the quality slider to High and click OK.

4. Click Size in the Video area and choose the same size as you did in the Settings window.

5. Click Settings in the Audio area and choose Linear PCM and 48000 kHz as the rate and click OK.

6. Click OK to close the custom settings window.

7. Click Save to begin saving the QuickTime Movie.

When the export is done add it to the Toast video window with DVD video selected as the format. Click Customize... and then Encoder and then Custom to enter the custom encoder settings window.

If your video is less than about one hour in length move the average bit rate slider up to 7.5 and the maximum to 8.5. Put a check mark next to Half-pel. Be sure to use Dolby Digital audio when the video bit rate is this high.

Those settings will make it look as good as it can.

post-120-0-54057900-1338990916_thumb.png