outerbank

Computer Doesn't Always Shut Down

Question

Within the last week my desktop computer doesn't always want to shut down after clicking Start>Clicking on Turn Off Computer> Turn Off. It stops at the closing window indicating that it is saving my settings. Under Computer Management and then System Viewer, the error message is 7009 related to Service Control Manager. The Symbolic Name is: Event_Connection_Timeout. The timeout indicates a 30000 milisecond, waiting for the Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 service to connect. Looked up all of the postings on the Roxio Forum regarding this event. Entered System configuration and unchecked Roxio HD Watcher 12 under the Startup tab in services. Despite having performed this operation the problem of shutdown continues to occur periodically. Anything else causing the problem, or a different step to take to prevent this from occurring?

Thanks.

24 answers to this question

Within the last week my desktop computer doesn't always want to shut down after clicking Start>Clicking on Turn Off Computer> Turn Off. It stops at the closing window indicating that it is saving my settings. Under Computer Management and then System Viewer, the error message is 7009 related to Service Control Manager. The Symbolic Name is: Event_Connection_Timeout. The timeout indicates a 30000 milisecond, waiting for the Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 service to connect. Looked up all of the postings on the Roxio Forum regarding this event. Entered System configuration and unchecked Roxio HD Watcher 12 under the Startup tab in services. Despite having performed this operation the problem of shutdown continues to occur periodically. Anything else causing the problem, or a different step to take to prevent this from occurring?

Thanks.

Just a observation, your PC seems to have its share of problems.

What PC is it, OS your running, and service packs? # 17 in my signature should help.

post-97-023360600 1334001691.jpg

Everything was operating smoothly for quite some time for both the laptop and desktop computer. The computer that doesn't always want to shut down is the Intel Core i5-760. This is the first one that I list on my profile. Checking Computer Management> Services, indicates that Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 is set on automatic, rather than Manual. How does one set it for manual? Hopefully, this resolves the issue.

Thanks.

Everything was operating smoothly for quite some time for both the laptop and desktop computer. The computer that doesn't always want to shut down is the Intel Core i5-760. This is the first one that I list on my profile. Checking Computer Management> Services, indicates that Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 is set on automatic, rather than Manual. How does one set it for manual? Hopefully, this resolves the issue.

Thanks.

Double click the item then click the down arrow and set to manual.

post-97-052635700 1334006721.jpg

Thank you for the information. Hopefully, this solves the problem. It's almost diabolical by the fact that the desktop computer has operated for 2 years without this problem. Then one day it happens.

Edited by outerbank

Unfortunately, setting Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 in the Service panel to Manual did not solve the problem. So my problem is apparently related to something more than merely setting it to Manual.

Thanks for the link to Wiki Error repair tool. Downloaded the error tool and scanned the computer. Geez! It found a bunch of errors. Now I'm concerned about what it might do to the computer if all the errors are fixed. Is this a safe tool to use? How much risk is associated with repairing the errors? The computer tech guy that I use always tells me to be careful what you do in the registry. Many of these errors are in the registry. Does one do one repair at a time and then determine if theoperation of the computer is affected? Or does one look for the entry that addresses the shut down problem, if it can be isolated to one error? Any guidance would be helpful to me.

Thanks for the link to Wiki Error repair tool. Downloaded the error tool and scanned the computer. Geez! It found a bunch of errors. Now I'm concerned about what it might do to the computer if all the errors are fixed. Is this a safe tool to use? How much risk is associated with repairing the errors? The computer tech guy that I use always tells me to be careful what you do in the registry. Many of these errors are in the registry. Does one do one repair at a time and then determine if theoperation of the computer is affected? Or does one look for the entry that addresses the shut down problem, if it can be isolated to one error? Any guidance would be helpful to me.

Good advice, can you ask his opinion?

From best I can tell, downloading the error repair tool doesn't do much good for the novice computer person. Reviewing the errors details did not help as to which error (or errors) is/are causing the computer shutdown problem. The errors that have a high severity ranking according to this tool are 3 Activex/COM objects; 18 Shared DLLs; 7 Windows Startups. The description is that they all have file references that don't exist. There are a number of "File/Path References" errors. These are described as "Medium" severity. The reference to Service Control Manager error 7009 indicates a "User Action" of determining why the service is not connecting. To do this it indicates "do the following: Verify that the service is configured correctly; and verify that the system is in a healthy state, for example, it is not running low on resources. Curiously, the recommendations are made in the context of connecting or starting a new service, not shutting down. I don't know if this makes a difference. It also states that the service might be stuck in a loop or waiting on a system resource. I guess I'll have to cart this computer off to the tech service guy.

Additionally frustrating is that the problem with computer shut down doesn't always happen. It does, however, happen often enough to be annoying.

From best I can tell, downloading the error repair tool doesn't do much good for the novice computer person. Reviewing the errors details did not help as to which error (or errors) is/are causing the computer shutdown problem. The errors that have a high severity ranking according to this tool are 3 Activex/COM objects; 18 Shared DLLs; 7 Windows Startups. The description is that they all have file references that don't exist. There are a number of "File/Path References" errors. These are described as "Medium" severity. The reference to Service Control Manager error 7009 indicates a "User Action" of determining why the service is not connecting. To do this it indicates "do the following: Verify that the service is configured correctly; and verify that the system is in a healthy state, for example, it is not running low on resources. Curiously, the recommendations are made in the context of connecting or starting a new service, not shutting down. I don't know if this makes a difference. It also states that the service might be stuck in a loop or waiting on a system resource. I guess I'll have to cart this computer off to the tech service guy.

Additionally frustrating is that the problem with computer shut down doesn't always happen. It does, however, happen often enough to be annoying.

Just a quick question, do you have Roxio's Media Manager scanning your computer for new files? I'm not sure I saw that in your earlier posts. If you do, did you try turning that off or to limit what it catelogs?

I think there is something amiss with Roxio 2011. Cannot find Roxio Media Manager under Roxio Applications, presuming it should be listed here.

I definitely do not have Roxio Media Manager on my Computer. Should it have been included with Roxio Creator 2011 Special?

I find that I do have Media Manager. After opening Roxio Creator 2011 Special and clicking on Music/Audio button, and then clicking on Browse and Manage Media, Media Manager finally opened. It was a little bulky in operating at first, but then settled down. I went to Tools and stopped scanning for new files. We'll see if that cures the problem. here's additional info. Going to Start/Programs/Roxio Creator 2012 Special/Applications, Media Manager is not shown with on the list of Applications. It does on my oldest computer which has Roxio Creator 2011. How do I get it to show on the Applications list?

Edited by outerbank

Solved the computer won't shut down problem. Unchecked everything that was checked to Start in the msconfig file and then chose only rthdcpl, apsdaemon, netsession_win, ctfmon to start. Computer now shuts down without any problems.

Solved the computer won't shut down problem. Unchecked everything that was checked to Start in the msconfig file and then chose only rthdcpl, apsdaemon, netsession_win, ctfmon to start. Computer now shuts down without any problems.

Display Name :rthdcpl.exe

is a process belonging to the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel and is bundled alongside Realtek sound cards and audio hardware.

Display Name : APSDaemon

Path : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Akama…

it appears that the Akamai NetSession Interface is some sort of download accelerator/caching tool, but it is not clear how the user got that particular tool on their system. It does have an entry in the Windows control panel with some administrative tools?

ctfmon.exe can also be a virus or malware.

ctfmon.exe is a Windows generic process for managing information entry using alternative text input software such as voice recognition, electronic recognition and braille keyboards.

The ctfmon.exe process is only necessary when dealing with other languages or when information in inputted using a device other than a standard keyboard.

The ctfmon.exe file starts the component of the "Language Bar" (via the system tray), and launches every time Windows starts. It continues to run in the background, whether an Office XP program was started or not.

If you have no need for ctfmon.exe to be running, you can safely disable it from launching automatically without it affecting your computer.

If you have a legitimate install of this program, and don't want it on your machine, there is a simple uninstaller (as well as a README.txt that explains what the program is) in the same folder it is installed in.

Thank you cdanteek for the definitions. Right now I have 4 items checked in the Startup tab; rthDCPL, APSDaemon, netsession_win, and ctfmon. It thought that with just these 4 items checked as starting the computer shutdown problem was solved. The computer successfully shutdown several times thereafter, but yesterday after my wife was on the computer for quite awhile and then attempted shutdown, it hung on the "saving your settings" window. Evidently, there is either another program that continues to run in the background, or is related to some other thing on the computer. I read one reference on the web that describes this as a BIOS problem. This XP shutdown problem also appears to be prevalent and difficult to sort out. At least from what I have read on the web.

You describe that cftmon.exe could also be a virus or malware. How is this determined? Should the Norton anti-virus software catch and remove this? Or even Norton's Power Eraser program?

Thank you cdanteek for the definitions. Right now I have 4 items checked in the Startup tab; rthDCPL, APSDaemon, netsession_win, and ctfmon. It thought that with just these 4 items checked as starting the computer shutdown problem was solved. The computer successfully shutdown several times thereafter, but yesterday after my wife was on the computer for quite awhile and then attempted shutdown, it hung on the "saving your settings" window. Evidently, there is either another program that continues to run in the background, or is related to some other thing on the computer. I read one reference on the web that describes this as a BIOS problem. This XP shutdown problem also appears to be prevalent and difficult to sort out. At least from what I have read on the web.

You describe that cftmon.exe could also be a virus or malware. How is this determined? Should the Norton anti-virus software catch and remove this? Or even Norton's Power Eraser program?

Yes, it should.

Be careful using Norton's registry fix program, it breaks Roxio software.

"Norton's Power Eraser program" sounds worse than the Norton's registry program, be careful!

I don't have Norton's registry fix program on the computer. As far as Norton Eraser, thus far I've scanned the computer with it and nothing has been found that is concerning. Besides, it doesn't automatically delete. Rather it advises you when it finds something that is "bad" (using their nomenclature), and then asks if you want to fix it. Thus far today, I've shut down the computer two times and restarted once. All three times it shut down or restarted without any problem. So it seems to be a hit or miss problem, which would appear to make it that much more difficult to resolve. The Akamai program was installed on a date that is unrelated to any other installation on the computer, or a particular software program. Consequently, I have no idea of how it got on the computer. According to references on the web, it supposedly facilitates the loading of some websites and deleteing it or disabling it might make some websites unresponsive. Anyone else more familiar with it?

Akamai is a software to accelerate your web experience. It's possible that when you installed one software, it came along with it.

If this program did download with another program, I'm at a loss in how to determine which program it was because the download date is not near any other recently added software. In any event, it does not appear to be the source of the shut down problem. Although, the computer has been shutting down without any problem for the past few days. Who knows???

Finally determined how the Akamai software got downloaded onto my computer. Used Revo Uninstaller to remove the software after determining that it wasn't needed. It's not on my other two computers. In any event, at the start of uninstall a window opened that indicated what is was used for. It was to download a trial version of Corel Paintshop Pro X4, which I eventualy purchased and the trial version was deleted. This left Akamai behind. It's now gone.

Just FYI. certain web sites will open with a "MEEBO" application. It is part of the web site and there seems to be no way of not letting it happen. You do not have to crerate an account. If you haven't seen it yet, go to the Houston Chronical web site and look to the bottom right. I can't see anything it does other than be there to open adventising and social medica sites.

Uninstalling this software using Revo Uninstaller revealed a large number of log files, many of them indicated as "sent" log files. Presumably, these log files indicate that Akamai was sending info to someone possibly about my activities on the web. Two other benefits seem to have occurred since removing Akamai from the computer. First, the computer has shut down successfully. Second, it seems to start up more quickly.

I did go to the link sknis provided and saw the Meebo notice at the bottom right of the webpage.