24 replies to this topic

#1 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Within the last week my desktop computer doesn't always want to shut down after clicking Start>Clicking on Turn Off Computer> Turn Off.  It stops at the closing window indicating that it is saving my settings.  Under Computer Management and then System Viewer, the error message is 7009 related to Service Control Manager.  The Symbolic Name is: Event_Connection_Timeout.  The timeout indicates a 30000 milisecond, waiting for the Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 service to connect.  Looked up all of the postings on the Roxio Forum regarding this event.  Entered System configuration and unchecked Roxio HD Watcher 12 under the Startup tab in services.  Despite having performed this operation the problem of shutdown continues to occur periodically.  Anything else causing the problem, or a different step to take to prevent this from occurring?

Thanks.
System Specs:
Win 7 Pro & Win XP Pro SP3
Intel Core i5-760, 2.8GHz CPU
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD
ATI Radeon HD 5670 Video Card, 1024MB Memory
Acer S201HL LED 20" Monitor
Seagate 1GB External Hard Drive
802.11 b/g/n Wireless Network

HP Pro Book: Intel i5, 2.60 GHz
Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#2 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,691 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

View Postouterbank, on 09 April 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

Within the last week my desktop computer doesn't always want to shut down after clicking Start>Clicking on Turn Off Computer> Turn Off.  It stops at the closing window indicating that it is saving my settings.  Under Computer Management and then System Viewer, the error message is 7009 related to Service Control Manager.  The Symbolic Name is: Event_Connection_Timeout.  The timeout indicates a 30000 milisecond, waiting for the Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 service to connect.  Looked up all of the postings on the Roxio Forum regarding this event.  Entered System configuration and unchecked Roxio HD Watcher 12 under the Startup tab in services.  Despite having performed this operation the problem of shutdown continues to occur periodically.  Anything else causing the problem, or a different step to take to prevent this from occurring?

Thanks.

Just a observation, your PC seems to have its share of problems.

What PC is it, OS your running, and service packs? # 17 in my signature should help.

28.jpg
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#3 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Everything was operating smoothly for quite some time for both the laptop and desktop computer.  The computer that doesn't always want to shut down is the Intel Core i5-760.  This is the first one that I list on my profile.  Checking Computer Management> Services, indicates that Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 is set on automatic, rather than Manual. How does one set it for manual?  Hopefully, this resolves the issue.

Thanks.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#4 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,691 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

View Postouterbank, on 09 April 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

Everything was operating smoothly for quite some time for both the laptop and desktop computer.  The computer that doesn't always want to shut down is the Intel Core i5-760.  This is the first one that I list on my profile.  Checking Computer Management> Services, indicates that Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 is set on automatic, rather than Manual. How does one set it for manual?  Hopefully, this resolves the issue.

Thanks.

Double click the item then click the down arrow and set to manual.

29.jpg
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#5 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Thank you for the information.  Hopefully, this solves the problem.  It's almost diabolical by the fact that the desktop computer has operated for 2 years without this problem.  Then one day it happens.

Edited by outerbank, 09 April 2012 - 03:13 PM.

System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#6 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Unfortunately, setting Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 in the Service panel to Manual did not solve the problem.  So my problem is apparently related to something more than merely setting it to Manual.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#7 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,691 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

View Postouterbank, on 09 April 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Unfortunately, setting Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 in the Service panel to Manual did not solve the problem.  So my problem is apparently related to something more than merely setting it to Manual.

http://www.wiki-erro...r.php?wiki=7009
cd
Spoiler

#8 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the link to Wiki Error repair tool.  Downloaded the error tool and scanned the computer.  Geez!  It found a bunch of errors.  Now I'm concerned about what it might do to the computer if all the errors are fixed.  Is this a safe tool to use?  How much risk is associated with repairing the errors?  The computer tech guy that I use always tells me to be careful what you do in the registry.  Many of these errors are in the registry. Does one do one repair at a time and then determine if theoperation of the computer is affected?  Or does one look for the entry that addresses the shut down problem, if it can be isolated to one error?  Any guidance would be helpful to me.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#9 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,691 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

View Postouterbank, on 10 April 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Thanks for the link to Wiki Error repair tool.  Downloaded the error tool and scanned the computer.  Geez!  It found a bunch of errors.  Now I'm concerned about what it might do to the computer if all the errors are fixed.  Is this a safe tool to use?  How much risk is associated with repairing the errors?  The computer tech guy that I use always tells me to be careful what you do in the registry.  Many of these errors are in the registry. Does one do one repair at a time and then determine if theoperation of the computer is affected?  Or does one look for the entry that addresses the shut down problem, if it can be isolated to one error?  Any guidance would be helpful to me.

Good advice, can you ask his opinion?
cd
Spoiler

#10 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

From best I can tell, downloading the error repair tool doesn't do much good for the novice computer person.  Reviewing the errors details did not help as to which error (or errors) is/are causing the computer shutdown problem.  The errors that have a high severity ranking according to this tool are 3 Activex/COM objects; 18 Shared DLLs; 7 Windows Startups.  The description is that they all have file references that don't exist.  There are a number of "File/Path References" errors.  These are described as "Medium" severity.  The reference to Service Control Manager error 7009 indicates a "User Action" of determining why the service is not connecting.  To do this it indicates "do the following: Verify that the service is configured correctly; and verify that the system is in a healthy state, for example, it is not running low on resources.  Curiously, the recommendations are made in the context of connecting or starting a new service, not shutting down.  I don't know if this makes a difference.  It also states that the service might be stuck in a loop or waiting on a system resource. I guess I'll have to cart this computer off to the tech service guy.

Additionally frustrating is that the problem with computer shut down doesn't always happen.  It does, however, happen often enough to be annoying.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#11 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,203 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

View Postouterbank, on 10 April 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

From best I can tell, downloading the error repair tool doesn't do much good for the novice computer person.  Reviewing the errors details did not help as to which error (or errors) is/are causing the computer shutdown problem.  The errors that have a high severity ranking according to this tool are 3 Activex/COM objects; 18 Shared DLLs; 7 Windows Startups.  The description is that they all have file references that don't exist.  There are a number of "File/Path References" errors.  These are described as "Medium" severity.  The reference to Service Control Manager error 7009 indicates a "User Action" of determining why the service is not connecting.  To do this it indicates "do the following: Verify that the service is configured correctly; and verify that the system is in a healthy state, for example, it is not running low on resources.  Curiously, the recommendations are made in the context of connecting or starting a new service, not shutting down.  I don't know if this makes a difference.  It also states that the service might be stuck in a loop or waiting on a system resource. I guess I'll have to cart this computer off to the tech service guy.

Additionally frustrating is that the problem with computer shut down doesn't always happen.  It does, however, happen often enough to be annoying.

Just a quick question, do you have Roxio's Media Manager scanning your computer for new files?  I'm not sure I saw that  in your earlier posts.  If you do, did you try turning that off or to limit what it catelogs?
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#12 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Are you describing Roxio Media DB13?  If so, it is running.  Roxio Media DBVHS is Stopped.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#13 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

I think there is something amiss with Roxio 2011.  Cannot find Roxio Media Manager under Roxio Applications, presuming it should be listed here.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#14 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

I definitely do not have Roxio Media Manager on my Computer.  Should it have been included with Roxio Creator 2011 Special?
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#15 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

I find that I do have Media Manager.  After opening Roxio Creator 2011 Special and clicking on Music/Audio button, and then clicking on Browse and Manage Media, Media Manager finally opened.  It was a little bulky in operating at first, but then settled down.  I went to Tools and stopped scanning for new files.  We'll see if that cures the problem. here's additional info.  Going to Start/Programs/Roxio Creator 2012 Special/Applications, Media Manager is not shown with on the list of Applications.  It does on my oldest computer which has Roxio Creator 2011.  How do I get it to show on the Applications list?

Edited by outerbank, 10 April 2012 - 01:56 PM.

System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#16 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Solved the computer won't shut down problem.  Unchecked everything that was checked to Start in the msconfig file and then chose only rthdcpl, apsdaemon, netsession_win, ctfmon to start.  Computer now shuts down without any problems.
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#17 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,691 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

View Postouterbank, on 12 April 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Solved the computer won't shut down problem.  Unchecked everything that was checked to Start in the msconfig file and then chose only rthdcpl, apsdaemon, netsession_win, ctfmon to start.  Computer now shuts down without any problems.

Display Name :rthdcpl.exe
is a process belonging to the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel and is bundled alongside Realtek sound cards and audio hardware.

Display Name : APSDaemon
Path : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Akama…
it appears that the Akamai NetSession Interface is some sort of download accelerator/caching tool, but it is not clear how the user got that particular tool on their system. It does have an entry in the Windows control panel with some administrative tools?

ctfmon.exe can also be a virus or malware.

ctfmon.exe is a Windows generic process for managing information entry using alternative text input software such as voice recognition, electronic recognition and braille keyboards.

The ctfmon.exe process is only necessary when dealing with other languages or when information in inputted using a device other than a standard keyboard.

The ctfmon.exe file starts the component of the "Language Bar" (via the system tray), and launches every time Windows starts. It continues to run in the background, whether an Office XP program was started or not.

If you have no need for ctfmon.exe to be running, you can safely disable it from launching automatically without it affecting your computer.
If you have a legitimate install of this program, and don't want it on your machine, there is a simple uninstaller (as well as a README.txt that explains what the program is) in the same folder it is installed in.
cd
Spoiler

#18 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

Thank you cdanteek for the definitions.  Right now I have 4 items checked in the Startup tab; rthDCPL, APSDaemon, netsession_win, and ctfmon.  It thought that with just these 4 items checked as starting the computer shutdown problem was solved.  The computer successfully shutdown several times thereafter, but yesterday after my wife was on the computer for quite awhile and then attempted shutdown, it hung on the "saving your settings" window.  Evidently, there is either another program that continues to run in the background, or is related to some other thing on the computer.  I read one reference on the web that describes this as a BIOS problem.  This XP shutdown problem also appears to be prevalent and difficult to sort out.  At least from what I have read on the web.

You describe that cftmon.exe could also be a virus or malware.  How is this determined?  Should the Norton anti-virus software catch and remove this?  Or even Norton's Power Eraser program?
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram
1TB HDD

#19 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,691 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

View Postouterbank, on 14 April 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

Thank you cdanteek for the definitions.  Right now I have 4 items checked in the Startup tab; rthDCPL, APSDaemon, netsession_win, and ctfmon.  It thought that with just these 4 items checked as starting the computer shutdown problem was solved.  The computer successfully shutdown several times thereafter, but yesterday after my wife was on the computer for quite awhile and then attempted shutdown, it hung on the "saving your settings" window.  Evidently, there is either another program that continues to run in the background, or is related to some other thing on the computer.  I read one reference on the web that describes this as a BIOS problem.  This XP shutdown problem also appears to be prevalent and difficult to sort out.  At least from what I have read on the web.

You describe that cftmon.exe could also be a virus or malware.  How is this determined?  Should the Norton anti-virus software catch and remove this?  Or even Norton's Power Eraser program?

Yes, it should.

Be careful using Norton's registry fix program, it breaks Roxio software.

"Norton's Power Eraser program" sounds worse than the Norton's registry program, be careful!
cd
Spoiler

#20 outerbank

outerbank

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

I don't have Norton's registry fix program on the computer.  As far as Norton Eraser, thus far I've scanned the computer with it and nothing has been found that is concerning.  Besides, it doesn't automatically delete.  Rather it advises you when it finds something that is "bad" (using their nomenclature), and then asks if you want to fix it.  Thus far today, I've shut down the computer two times and restarted once.  All three times it shut down or restarted without any problem.  So it seems to be a hit or miss problem, which would appear to make it that much more difficult to resolve. The Akamai program was installed on a date that is unrelated to any other installation on the computer, or a particular software program.  Consequently, I have no idea of how it got on the computer.  According to references on the web, it supposedly facilitates the loading of some websites and deleteing it or disabling it might make some websites unresponsive. Anyone else more familiar with it?
System Specs:
4GB RAM
1TB Serial ATA HD

Win 7 Pro
4GB Ram