#1 tsp1965

tsp1965

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hi

Has anyone solved the long-standing choppy video problem on Lion?

I had everything working fine under SL, but since Lion I have had nothing but trouble with video, and DVDs/mpeg2 especially.

QuicktimeX hates mpeg2, freezes on scrubbing and gives choppy playback, as though it is getting audio and video out of sync and having to resync. Quicktime 7 Pro, on the other hand, plays mpeg2 just fine. (QTX is ok with mp4/h264).

I had Apple Support on to this and we ascertained that QTX under Lion is much more fussy about its mpeg2s than QTX under SL. In particular it was picky about what application had created the mpeg2s and its compliance to the standard. My worst offenders are created by exporting out of EyeTV. Other mpegs edited using VideoRedo for PC in my W7 VM are better. I'm guessing that EyeTV is making low-compliance videos.

And, it seems, anything that uses QT to do its video playback has the same problem - I presume that''s how DVD player works and it is having trouble with mpeg2 videos out of EyeTV burned as dvd-video discs using Toast 10. Presumably it is using QTX for decoding and display and hence the same problem. My assumption is that Toast is not the problem - it is the playback component which is.

So my guess is that QTX mpeg2 codec is primary cuprit, I just can't fix it.any thoughts gratefully received.

TP

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

That's interesting and you've done a lot of troubleshooting. However, I think your conclusion may be mistaken. I'm on the road right now and don't have any MPEG2 videos to check out so I need to assume you're correct that MPEG 2 videos stutter with QuickTime X and DVD Player in Lion. But it doesn't make sense that QuickTime 7 Pro is okay because it is using the same MPEG 2 Playback Component. DVD Player has its own MPEG decoder because it doesn't require the MPEG 2 Playback Component to work. If you play your EyeTV videos using EyeTV's application it also doesn't require the playback component, You might see how the playback looks using the Toast Video Player (Toast Extras menu) and VLC. Neither of them using the Apple playback component.

What I'm suspicious of is the possibility of another audio or video codec that may be causing a conflict. Have you removed non-Apple codecs from your QuickTime Libraries to see if that makes a difference? If you have Perian have you updated to its latest version?
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 tsp1965

tsp1965

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

In case anyone stumbles upon this in the future I have finally got to the bottom of it. I'm in the UK, London region, where we went over from a mixed analogue/digital signal to digital only. When that happened we got lots more channels, but they also seem to have changed the broadcast parameters of the stream. In particular, many channels took to broadcasting with a GOP number well over the DVD spec of 15. The GOP - or Group of Pictures - is basically the frequency with which a key frame is broadcast. My video editor (ViideoRedo for PC) defaults to outputting whatever GOP number the input file has, and it was this that Lion QT and Toast didn't like when the GOP number increased. I now output with a GOP length of 15 from VideoRedo and the problem is fixed. it takes an extra minute to do this, as a minor recode is required, but then the disks or mpegs play just fine. You can edit the cfg files for the preset output styles so that the default is a recode to GOP 15, to save you resetting it every time.

Hope this helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users