2 replies to this topic

#1 stufarris

stufarris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hello all,

I would appreciate some help on this topic.  Let me apologize in advance for being a computer idiot, but please bear with me.  I used a panasonic device that records old VHS tapes to DVD.  I took the easy way out and just recorded the whole tape to dvd.  This was accomplished without a problem.  when I put the dvd into a player, a menu shows up with all the "chapters" displayed, and it plays just fine like a dvd should.  I think each chapter was stated when the tape stopped recording and event and was started again for a new event.  What is on the tape is just family stuff - kids birthday, day in the park, piano recital, etc etc.  When I try to record the DVD onto my computer using Popcorn 4, I drag the "video_ts"  file to popcorn and the computer converts it into a movie.  The problem is that not all of the chapters are recorded to the new project, or movie.  I've tried opening up the "video_ts" file and just dragging ins various combinations of file, thinking maybe each file is a different chapter, but that did not work.  I really don't want to go back and record each "chapter" to dvd and then load each dvd separately.  I currently have over 55 full dvd's I'm trying to sort out.  Some of these dvd's have 10 or so "chapters".  I really don't want to have 500 some odd partially filled dvd's to convert.  I am using a iMac (newer) with 2.8 GHz Intel core i5, with 4 GB Memory and 1333 MHz DDR3, running under system 10.7.3. The Popcorn 4 I just recently bought and is version 4.0.2.  My purpose is to edit the movies and combine some of them into a single work, for example, all the piano recitals over the years on one disc, edit out the pictures of the ground with someone (wife) forgot to turn off the carmera during different parts of the birthday party, and things such as these.  

Also, on the movies that did transfer into the computer, there seems to be a fraction of a second glitch, or hiccup that occurs several times when I play back the movie, before I edit it.  Is this just a memory issue (though 4 gigabytes would be enough), or is something else going on.  THis is not the end of the world, since I have the original pieces on VHS and DVD (copied from VHS) without the glitches, but I was a little disappointed that the hiccup does occur.

Thanks in advance.

Stu Farris

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,471 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Because of the Panasonic recorder that created the DVDs you're going to need to use MPEG Streamclip to fix timecode breaks in those videos. MPEG Streamclip is freeware but it requires Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component that sells for $20. Just Google for MPEG Streamclip and you'll get all the info from their site.

What you can easily do is open any of the titles on the DVD with MPEG Streamclip, choose Fix Timecode Breaks from the Edit menu (if Streamclip doesn't automatically ask you if you want them fixed) and then choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu to save them as MPEG 2 files on the hard drive. This all is done quickly and doesn't affect quality in any way. You can also use Streamclip to trim out sections of the videos to save as smaller files if you like. If you want to edit with iMovie you'll need to convert them to h.264 MPEG 4 videos which can be done with either Popcorn or MPEG Streamclip.

If all you want to do is reorganize the clips then save them as MPEG 2 files and add those to the Popcorn window using the settings for making a new video DVD. Then you can customize your menu (see Popcorn Help for info) and burn a new DVD with the titles (clips) you've selected. When using MPEG 2 files as your source Popcorn should multiplex rather than encode the videos when making the new video DVD so that also goes quickly.

I've covered a lot without much detailed description. Please feel free to ask for more explanation regarding anything that remains confusing.

Edited by tsantee, 15 April 2012 - 04:41 PM.

I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 stufarris

stufarris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

View Posttsantee, on 15 April 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Because of the Panasonic recorder that created the DVDs you're going to need to use MPEG Streamclip to fix timecode breaks in those videos. MPEG Streamclip is freeware but it requires Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component that sells for $20. Just Google for MPEG Streamclip and you'll get all the info from their site.

What you can easily do is open any of the titles on the DVD with MPEG Streamclip, choose Fix Timecode Breaks from the Edit menu (if Streamclip doesn't automatically ask you if you want them fixed) and then choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu to save them as MPEG 2 files on the hard drive. This all is done quickly and doesn't affect quality in any way. You can also use Streamclip to trim out sections of the videos to save as smaller files if you like. If you want to edit with iMovie you'll need to convert them to h.264 MPEG 4 videos which can be done with either Popcorn or MPEG Streamclip.

If all you want to do is reorganize the clips then save them as MPEG 2 files and add those to the Popcorn window using the settings for making a new video DVD. Then you can customize your menu (see Popcorn Help for info) and burn a new DVD with the titles (clips) you've selected. When using MPEG 2 files as your source Popcorn should multiplex rather than encode the videos when making the new video DVD so that also goes quickly.

I've covered a lot without much detailed description. Please feel free to ask for more explanation regarding anything that remains confusing.

Wow, thanks tsantee!  I'll have to try and digest all that and will give it a try.  I appreciate your offer for more advice.  I'm lost as to multiplexing versus encoding videos, but I'll give it a try once I gather the new software and familiarize myself with it.  Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users