Roxio Community

When making a backup spanning multiple CDs...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mja616

mja616

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

EDITED for clarity:When trying to use Roxio to back up 3.2 Gig of data, on 700MB CDR's it says it will need five CDRs.
Everytime I try to make a backup that uses more than one disc (Maxell 700MB) after it completes the first disk it tells me that:

"Disc 2 was completed sucessfully. Please insert a blank disc for the next."   (HUH)?  Can't this program count?

Then after I insert the real disc 2 (disc 3 in Roxio's eyes), when it's done it give me a pop-up message: Disc 3 was completed sucessfully. Please insert a blank disc for the next.

Is it TRYING to mess up my count on purpose?

Does that happen to anybody else?

Things you might want to know:
Roxio Creator Classic  6.1.1.7
Driver Version: 5.0.2183.1  (I've updated the driver before my last harddrive crash this past January, and still had the same problem)
Format: Data Disk
Method Track-At-Once
Finalize Disc: Yes
Test and Record: Yes
Buffer Level: 100%
Buffer Underrun Protection: Yes
Hardware: Plextor CD-R  Premium USB Device

Thanks,
Monica

Edited by mja616, 18 August 2006 - 02:03 PM.

#2 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:32 AM

The only thing I really know about disc spanning is I've read numerous frantic posts on the boards from people who used disc spanning and desperately need to retreive the information.

So, if you expect to be able to get the informatin back without paying for a recovery program, I'd suggest you DON'T use disc spanning - ever.  (And even a recovery program can't recover whichever file was split across the two discs in the spanning operation.)

If the idea is to make a backup of your computer (from which you can do a system restore), then I'd suggest you get a backup program, such as Norton Ghost, or Acronis True Image.   Even if you were to make a successful "backup" with Roxio using disc spanning (and the disc spanning worked), you'd have to have the computer up and running, with the Operating System and Roxio 6 already installed, before you could open the discs.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109, 17 August 2006 - 03:34 AM.

#3 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

I too am not to keen on the voodoo of disc spanning…

From your version number it appears you have Basic and there is one update since yours: 6.1.1.48 (4/16/04)

Also set your Method to Disc at Once. You may also need to switch the File System to UDF – No Bridge depending on your filepath size.
Dell 8300 3.0ghz 1.5gb RAM 300gb & 200gb HDs
XP Pro/SP2
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X

#4 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

View Postmja616, on Aug 16 2006, 09:35 PM, said:

Roxio Creator Classic  6.1.1.7
Driver Version: 5.0.2183.1  (I've updated the driver before my last harddrive crash this past January, and still had the same problem)

Monica

View Postjames_hardin, on Aug 17 2006, 12:22 PM, said:

I too am not to keen on the voodoo of disc spanning…

From your version number it appears you have Basic and there is one update since yours: 6.1.1.48 (4/16/04)

Also set your Method to Disc at Once. You may also need to switch the File System to UDF – No Bridge depending on your filepath size.
I think probably
Roxio Creator Classic 6.1.1.7
was subsequent to
Roxio Creator Classic 6.1.1.48 -
Probably an OEM Version.

However, that doesn't change the unreliability of disc spanning.

Lynn

#5 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

The 6.1.1.48 (4/16/04) is the latest on the site despite the 'dot' sequence…

The 6.1.1.7 is dated (8/5/03) and is clearly not the latest.

I agree that none of this will change the disc spanning gremlins but the update may act as a repair to their installed version.
XP Pro/SP2

#6 mja616

mja616

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:01 PM

Okay.  I don't think I made myself clear in my original post.

I think I used a term "disc spanning" that means something else.

I looked up "disc spanning" or "spanning" in Roxio's help file and found nothing.

When I have used Roxio Creator Classic before they told me that the only time I would have to use Roxio's Retrieve software is when a single FILE spans more than one disc.  Personally, I would LOVE to avoid that but it seems to be something that I cannot control, and something that I find out has been done AFTER I burn five discs!  I wish there was some kind of a toggle that allows one file to span two discs or not.

Anyway, to use different terminology:  When trying to use Roxio to back up 3.2 Gig of data, on 700MB CDR's it says it will need five CDRs.  My question was, it miscounted and only used 4 discs but thought that it used five.  Does that happen to anybody else?

I will try to find the updates and change the settings as you suggested.  Thank you.

#7 mja616

mja616

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

Thank you Lynn and Mr. Hardin for your replies:

View Postlynn98109, on Aug 17 2006, 03:32 AM, said:

If the idea is to make a backup of your computer (from which you can do a system restore)

No, the idea is NOT to make a system restore backup.  

I just have some very important files that I don't want to lose in case my hard drive crashes:  Internet web pages, Microsoft Word and Excel documents, some jpeg files, ms word templates, macros, favorites folder or internet bookmarks, other personal documents -- that sort of thing.  Once I have nailed down a repeatable and reliable method for backing up those files for archival purposes, I can attack my new problem of backing up enough to do a full system restore.

I also want to use media that is NOT magnetic and subject to destruction.  I think it is called archival media or something else that lasts a long time.  Years ago, I tried the well-received Castlewood ORB 2.2 gig drive and two years later suddenly all my data had gone bad and there was no way to retrieve it!  Now I want something that isn't going to disappoint.   I also am not interested in storing my data online where anybody can packet-sniff during transfer or where the company has too much control over the view and distribution of my data.   The reason I bought the CDR was so I, alone, can make personal backups of data with uncomplicated restore options.  Maybe that is too much to ask?

What does Norton Ghost, or Acronis True Image do that Roxio Creator Classic does not?   Besides storing my data online, which I am NOT interested in.  

Thank you for your keen insight Lynn!

View Postjames_hardin, on Aug 17 2006, 11:22 AM, said:

I will try to find that version and make the change.  Thank you.

View Postjames_hardin, on Aug 17 2006, 11:22 AM, said:

I've looked at wikipedia and http://whatis.com and cannot find out how UDF - No Bridge restricts my options.
For example, is the maximum size for a file name still 64 characters?  Because some of my bookmark titles go on forever (not my choice)  and I cannot go back to 8 characters and a three-character extension.  I just don't think in terms of such short filenames anymore.

Is there a way to create a project that puts files on multiple discs but refrains from splitting a single file over multiple disks?
That would make restoring much, much easier and I don't have to worry about a recovery program, just copy the files back over.  I have done just that when I made backups to one disc for each project.  I had to do some file size juggling.  I wish there were a program that figured that out for you!

Thank you again for all help and wisdom.
Monica

#8 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:37 PM

"backup" means a lot of different things to folks and there is no single definition of what it implies…

Norton & Acronis can do what you have described or can go even farther and produce a disaster recovery type backup.

For what you have described, just a backup limited to irreplaceable or hard to replace data, I would simply use Classic with Spanning turned off. I can add file sizes and keep the project limited to fit a disc. I have always done it this way in the past (before disc spanning) and will continue to do so.

Yes it is a little more tedious this way but I have never lost a 'bit' of data this way.

The whatis.com link and blurb on UDF is so far off the mark, I would class it as rubbish!

All DVD Movie discs utilize the UDF file system. Packet writers (unreliable one and all) also use UDF. So do Norton, Acronis, BUMP and all other backup softwares that write to optical media.

And if you want successful long term backups without file name/filepath restrictions, it is what you will use too.
XP Pro/SP2

#9 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

Another alternative is to use a zip program on the files, which removes the file name problem.

To get the files back, you have to unzip them.

It's not quite the same as a CD-R (or DVD/R) with the files burned on which Windows Explorer will allow you to click on the file and open it, and then you can save it back to the Hard Drive, but it does offer a way around the file name question.

(Or, you could put things like Favorites lists onto Notepad, Wordpad, or (er) Word.)

Lynn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users