Sign in to follow this  
KBrock

Removing Spotlight Comments In Burned Data

Question

Hello,

...the Title may be misleading when you see what I'm really hoping to accomplish.

I have a scenario where I store valuable information in the Spotlight Comments for many files that we deliver. I thought I had researched this before and determined that the Spotlight Comment data does not get burned in with the files. Upon double-checking this again this morning—I am wrong. These Comments do indeed get brought over into the burned versions.

I don't want anyone to see these Spotlight Comments as they are somewhat sensitive and confidential. Is there an easy way to NOT have this info. carried along into the burned versions of the files in question? Or do I need to do something like duplicate the data then remove Comments from this new set and burn it? This extra step would not be ideal, but potentially our only choice if we can't have Toast disregard these comments.

Please advise...

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

This is beyond my expertise. However, since the Spotlight Comments are in the .DS stores it may work for you to use BlueHarvest to remove those before adding to Toast. This, of course, is what you're considering because it involves needing to duplicate the files so that you don't remove the .DS stores from the originals.

Thanks for the input. Though, I don't think this will work necessarily. Apple changed where the Spotlight Comments live. In 10.4 and earlier it was in the .DS store, but as of 10.5 they were moved to the extended file attributes. Eradicating the .DS store will likely still leave Spotlight Comments intact I would think. (All machines in question are on 10.6.8)

...just another little hiccup in the workflow. I feel like I'm going to end up duplicating the folder in question, running an Automator workflow to empty out all Comments and then burn these files, then delete them after burning. Sometimes one step forward is two steps back.