Sign in to follow this  
Edd1E O

Toast 11 Pro Blu Ray Discs Just Don't Work In Some Players

Question

I've come to the sad but apparently true conclusion that Toast 11 cannot properly create BluRay disks with menu that will generally play on set top players. Pioneer Elite BDP-05 (1.73 Firmware, the latest), Denon play at Mom's place; just give me a black menu screen with a red dot where the menu items are supposed to be - no back ground, no text. If I remember the menu structure, I can sort of navigate and press play.

On a fully updated PS 3, the menus show up and seems to work. But if you have many chapters (which clever generated names like 1, 2, 3 ... and you can't change them in Toast!), navigation is a bear: to get from page 2 of chapters to page 3, you have to got through all of them to get to the forward button. Since you have no control over button navigation, that's not nice.

On the Pioneer 05, my first disk actually crashed the player: it froze up, after playing the last chapter of the video (used chapter advance to get to chapter 25). Required power cycle of the pioneer. No commercial BRD has ever done that!

My conclusion is that Toast is now actually its namesake: toast. I've been a toast user since back in the old Nubus days with ProTools to burn CDs. I think my options now are DVD Studio Pro for DVDs on Mac, and to use Bootcamp or Parallels to run Windows 7 and DVD Architect Studio from Sony for BR authoring and burning.

(wish I had either a rotten tomato or rotten apple icon to display here)

3 answers to this question

I export my project using Quicktime MPEG 4 1280x720. Viewing the video works fine on the computer, but when Toasting it with the latest version and export to a DVD, than viewing it on my Samsung blue ray player some movies will not play. I'm using the blue ray plugin with toast. Some movies with will play but some won't. What could be wrong. Or is their another way to get good quality movies. Or maybe I'm thinking the, I have to many movies on one disk. I add four movies to a DVD, but still have space left on disk though. Everything is updated to firmware and Toast.

• Like 1

I burned a blu ray with a menu (two movies), everything works fine on my Philips 9600 BD player but not a my Denon 2500 blu ray drive.

I burned a blu ray with a menu (two movies), everything works fine on my Philips 9600 BD player but not a my Denon 2500 blu ray drive.

From what I've read in some other posts it seems that Denon players have more difficulty with burned discs. That seems strange because they are higher-end players overall.