• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Buntus Cainte

Buntus Cainte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Sorry to expand this topic a little bit but...I have video tapes from two old analog video cameras; one in PAL (I'm originally from Ireland) and the other in NTSC. Before I buy Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus (currently discounted on Buy.com) is there an option that allows you to select either format as the input ? I've searched the Roxio knowledge base and the forums and this topic seems to be the only one that touches on the subject of PAL/NTSC ?

Kind Regards,
B.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,456 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

Sorry to expand this topic a little bit but...I have video tapes from two old analog video cameras; one in PAL (I'm originally from Ireland) and the other in NTSC. Before I buy Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus (currently discounted on Buy.com) is there an option that allows you to select either format as the input ? I've searched the Roxio knowledge base and the forums and this topic seems to be the only one that touches on the subject of PAL/NTSC ?

Kind Regards,
B.

That is a really good question!

Up front, I don't know!

However, there is only ONE device, so I would assume that it makes no difference to the A/D Converter!

The OUTPUT (DVD) would be based on the your Windows installed language. It uses that to decide if you live in a PAL country...

Up top, Store - How to Buy, is a phone number and you could give them a call and ask.

Keep in mind that if you buy through the Roxio Store, you do have a 30 day, No Questions Asked, return policy! That is something most retail stores do not allow with computer software/hardware ;)

#3 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

The other question is does you VHS player play BOTH PAL and NTSC properly?

If you have a European VHS to play thos PAL tapes, you must have a SCART adapter. (accoriding to the help files).

Edited by sknis, 13 July 2012 - 04:22 AM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#4 Buntus Cainte

Buntus Cainte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

Thanks guys for getting back to me so quickly. I should have elaborated a little. I actually have both video cameras (PAL and NTSC), so playing the tapes won't be an issue. My question is whether the Roxio software defaults to NTSC for its version sold in the US, or does it give the option to select PAL or NTSC as the input format (or does it even need to differentiate) to successfully capture both types of video streams.

Kind Regards,
B.

#5 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Since there is no more information in the help files about PAL vs NTSC except for the SCART connector, I don't think it matters. If you buy directly from Roxio, you have a 30 day, no questions asked $$ money back warranty. Perhaps someone from outside the US will chime in here.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#6 Buntus Cainte

Buntus Cainte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Ok thanks SKnis..The 30 day return option sounds good to me. I'll keep you posted.
Kind Regards,
B.

#7 winds70

winds70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hi,
I just received the VHS to DVD plus 3, US version.
DOESN't capture at all with PAL video.
The installation went smooth on two computers, both are windows 7 but 32 & 64.
I tried on the 64 bit first but since i couldn't see video using the video in "yellow" jack i re-installed it on the 32 bit.
same thing.
i tried using 2 scart adapters i got but still couldn't see video, although it might be because they're "in" adapters and not "out" adapters.
As mentioned above, this is supposed to be the "proper" way to capture video.
also see below:
http://vhs-to-dvd-co...dvd-review.html
although i own quite a lot of roxio products, because they're simple and usually they provide patches long after the product is out.
they're like microsoft in that sense. crappy software first and then alot of patches.
i will look to buy another adapter.
Thx.

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,456 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

If you hear the Audio but do not see the Video it is your SCART adapter in 99.999% of the cases :wacko:

Here are some that our UK users have recommended:

HERE

AmazonUK

maplin

#9 TheBillABCTV

TheBillABCTV

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Guys i have an older version of Roxio VHS to DVD converter, I'm from Australia. Now when I connect my VCR/DVD player to the Roxio VHS to DVD converter the Roxio converter doesn't read the NTSC tapes, however my VCR plays NTSC tapes. Also if I connect my multi region bluray player to the Roxio VHS to DVD converter, the Roxio VHS to DVD converter only reads Pal. I bought my Roxio VHS to DVD converter about 3 years ago. I want to find out if the new version Roxio VHS to DVD Converter 3 Plus will read both NTSC and PAL. I have VHS tapes in both PAL and NTSC. So I want to know if the new vertion reads both. If no one knows here would it be best for me to ring Roxio up? My Multi region bluray player plays all regions and it plays both PAL and NTSC. I just need to know if the converter reads both PAL and NTSC.

Edited by TheBillABCTV, 08 November 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,456 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

I don't have anything here that can play PAL so I cannot do any testing for you...

I know that the USB Device converts signals and NTSC or PAL makes NO Difference to it!

I would not think that Input would make any difference either... But you are the only one that has ever raised that question and the software was introduced 4 years ago :huh:

#11 TheBillABCTV

TheBillABCTV

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Cheers Jim. I contacted Roxio on Facebook and they contacted their technicians and got back to me saying the new Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus converter reads both PAL and NTSC. My Bluray Player does play it because I can play Region 1 NTSC DVDS on my Bluray player when connected to my TV. So that means that USB from my old version Converter couldn't read anything NTSC. I have ordered the new version "Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus Converter", I selected Express shipping so I should get it later in the week as it is a Sunday in Sydney and Saturday in the USA. When the new version arrives and once I install the produced, then I will test it by putting in one of my NTSC DVDs, what ever happens I will let you guys know if it works or if it doesn't work.

Edited by TheBillABCTV, 10 November 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#12 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,456 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

OK... Hoping that will do the trick!

#13 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Cheers Jim. I contacted Roxio on Facebook and they contacted their technicians and got back to me saying the new Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus converter reads both PAL and NTSC. My Bluray Player does play it because I can play Region 1 NTSC DVDS on my Bluray player when connected to my TV. So that means that USB from my old version Converter couldn't read anything NTSC. I have ordered the new version "Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus Converter", I selected Express shipping so I should get it later in the week as it is a Sunday in Sydney and Saturday in the USA. When the new version arrives and once I install the produced, then I will test it by putting in one of my NTSC DVDs, what ever happens I will let you guys know if it works or if it doesn't work.

The old VHS2DVD device/version reads PAL and NTSC

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#14 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,456 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

That was my impression, thanks for confirming that Walt!

Bill, please describe your hookup to the Roxio USB Device in detail!

I will then try to replicate it and see what happens ;)

#15 TheBillABCTV

TheBillABCTV

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

The old VHS2DVD device/version reads PAL and NTSC

That means that my old USB was faulty. Thank you for letting me know.

Edited by TheBillABCTV, 11 November 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#16 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,456 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

That means that my old USB was faulty. Thank you for letting me know.

No...

You cut into an existing Topic and asked only part of a question without supplying the details needed...

describe IN DETAIL (don't assume anything) your connections from source to PC!

What does work and what does not!

#17 TheBillABCTV

TheBillABCTV

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

On Thursday Australian time the new product is expected to arrive. I will find out then. If it doesn't work then I will get Andrew from servant computers to have a look. I know nothing about computers.

#18 TheBillABCTV

TheBillABCTV

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

No...

You cut into an existing Topic and asked only part of a question without supplying the details needed...

describe IN DETAIL (don't assume anything) your connections from source to PC!

What does work and what does not!

When I plug in my VCR/DVD player into my TV PAL TV with NTSC Play back my my VHS tapes work both PAL and NTSC. When I plug in my VCR/DVD player into roxio VHS to DVD Converter the pal stuff it reads. Once I have plugged my VCR into the VHS to DVd converter, then I double click the Roxio VHS to DVD converter, then I select record and edit because I want to put the VHS on Video file. It has a signal, once I put in the NTSC VHS tape in the Roxio VHS to DVD converter says No signal. Then other times I connect my multi region bluray player up to the Roxio VHS to DVD converter, when I put on the NTSC DVDs the Roxio VhS to DVD converter says no signal. That could mean my USB from Roxio could only read the PAL stuff. But I would have to get Andrew from Servant to look into it if the new Roxio VHS to DVD 3 Plus converter doesn't read my NTSC Tapes/DVDs. That should arrive on Thursday. With a bit of luck it will work. When I have my multi region bluray player connected to my TV set all my DVDs play, my TV is a PAL TV and has NTSC play back.

#19 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,456 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

OK, sounds like a plan ;)

#20 TheBillABCTV

TheBillABCTV

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I made a mistake. Roxio Easy VHS to DVD upgrade came this afternoon. No USB, so maybe the upgrades don't come with a USB so what I will have to do in a couple of weeks just order a new Roxio Easy VHS to DVD Converter the 3 plus version and hopefully it would include a USB with it. I though the upgrade may have included the USB, but it doesn't I know for next time. In two weeks from now I will order a new one and once it arrives then I will let everyone know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users