• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mark_ABQ

Mark_ABQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

I know this subject has come up in a few other threads, so (moderators) please move this post to a more appropriate thread if needed.

I am using Verbatim media, but I tossed the wrapper so I don't know if it is from Singapore. My capture went fine and after making a few trims, I burned a 1:24:06 movie to a DVD+R DL disc (I de-selected the "fit to disc" option, presuming that it would tell me before beginning if there was insufficient space). The burn itself seemed to take an appropriate length of time, but it sat on "finalizing" for 30+ minutes. I finally decided to click the "close" button to stop the task, and about 30 seconds after I did that, the application kicked out the disc with the "successful burn" message. The disc plays OK in my PC and DVD player...

Maybe my clicking the close button was coincidental with the actual ending of the finalization process, but maybe not. If the application turned over the finalization to the hardware and it was waiting for a signal that the burner was finished, I can see where it would wait forever if the hardware was simultaneously waiting for something from the software. With so many different brands of hardware, it is very difficult to write code that is compatible with everything. On the other hand, I would expect that the codes required to get a hardware status ("burning", "finalizing", "waiting for input", etc) shouldn't change TOO much between hardware vendors.

Ultimately, I guess this post is just to say that I've had a problem, too, and perhaps Roxio's programmers can add my hardware to the list for possible future updates.
Software: Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3, build 301B37A, VH3
System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz (1st gen. CPU), 6GB memory, >1TB free drive sapce (>20GB free on system partition), ATI Radeon HD5800
Optical drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE UH10LS20 ATA Device by LG
Audio: Creative SB X-Fi
Capture Device: USB 2861 Device (USB VHS capture dongle), supports RGB & S-VHS
Windows Updates run dailiy at 3AM, but I normally update manually every few days...just to be sure.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hi Mark!

I think I did do some DL testing but can't remember what the results were :lol:

Let me try one based on your Project time and see what happens :glare:
Posted Image

#3 Mark_ABQ

Mark_ABQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

OK, thank you for taking the time to experiment. If it matters, the source capture file is a single capture of a VHS movie, and I also did not mention that I didn't include a menu. I figured that it would be good enough to put the disc in the player and just jump right into the movie without having to select something from a menu with only one option. :)
Software: Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3, build 301B37A, VH3
System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz (1st gen. CPU), 6GB memory, >1TB free drive sapce (>20GB free on system partition), ATI Radeon HD5800
Optical drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE UH10LS20 ATA Device by LG
Audio: Creative SB X-Fi
Capture Device: USB 2861 Device (USB VHS capture dongle), supports RGB & S-VHS
Windows Updates run dailiy at 3AM, but I normally update manually every few days...just to be sure.

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

Thanks for the extra info ~ 7% complete...

Well it completed and of course ran OK! (doesn't it always work out that way ;) )

I created a project similar to yours:

Attached File  Image1.jpg   113.54K   0 downloads

note settings

Attached File  Image2.jpg   109.27K   0 downloads

starting out

Attached File  Image3.jpg   87.85K   0 downloads

I expected it to hang here

Attached File  Image4.jpg   114.38K   0 downloads

But it completed

Attached File  Image5.jpg   105.68K   0 downloads

And Plays

Attached File  Image6.jpg   111.56K   1 downloads

My DVD's were some junk DL's (40¢ each) I picked up for cheap testing...

I realize this places you in a perplexing situation... Waste another DL by trying it again? Give up and use 2, 4.7GB discs in conjunction with 'Span Discs' or just beat your head on the wall... :lol:

Double check those settings.

Go into File - Preferences - Render using Software. That will eliminate problems from your Video Card.

Then use a DVD-RW with the Span turned on and see what happens...

Defrag your HDD.

Based on that, try it again :mellow:

Edited by Jim_Hardin, 19 July 2012 - 04:45 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users