Sign in to follow this  
JeffNewton

Can't Even Get Past Setup Assistant

Question

Anyone else not even able to get past the Setup Assistant? I installed from my original Toast 11 DMG then ran the update it prompted me to install and now it's a piece of useless rubbish. Tried emailing Roxio but their eMail page is very helpfully "Under Construction". The Finish button on the Setup Assistant is greyed out and all I can do is Quit.

EDIT BY PATRICK:

Solution 1 (Works for some users but definitely not all):

1. Quit the Toast.app Setup Assistant

2. Hold the CTRL key down on your keyboard or right-click on the Toast Titanium icon and select open

3. Proceed through the Setup Assistant as normal

Solution 2:

1. Quit the Toast.app Setup Assistant

2. In Finder, click the pulldown GO menu and click GO TO FOLDER (or press SHIFT+COMMAND+G)

3. In the Go To Folder window, type (or paste) in: ~/Library/Preferences

4. Locate the "com.roxio.toast.plist" file and delete or move to the Trash

5. Close the window and launch Toast Titanium again

6. Proceed through the Setup Assistant as normal

post-106085-0-03499600-1346454674_thumb.png

Edited by patatrox
Putting solution at the top
  • Like 3

55 answers to this question

DITO. So lame to go from a fully functional application, then do a simple update and lose all access to the program because of a greyed out FINISH button. FYI - I am the administor account...

Same problem here, posting this to beef up the numbers of unhappy customers. Tried everything but am stuck in the same place. Bad form, Roxio. I hope someone is looking at this over the long holiday weekend and working on a fix.

I was able to downgrade to the last version by copying it from a B/U drive wile started in safe mode. This at least gives me partial function ability. Right now I am just using it to convert/merge some video files. I haven't tried to burn with it yet.

I guess we need to wait until tuesday to get any support unless Roxio/Corel monitor these forums and start to work on the issue. If they correct the issue before then I hope they post.

Hey Guys,

I found a solution to this update problem. You need to go into Roxio website and sign in and get the download from there instead and everything should work just fine from there. You will be able to get past the greyed out finish.

The update posted on line says it is 11.0.4. The version being pushed in the update is more current than 11.0.6 which I was running when the update was prompted. I have 11.0.6 running but I haven't tried burning with it under Mountain Lion. I will try after my video conversion/merge completes.

Thank you--this worked! Also, their message as to why it won't install (with the new download) is typically un-helpful. You need to install it by holding down control and selecting it. That gives you a contextual message that works.

• Like 1

ok i am having the same problem but when exactly do I hold the cntrl button down? i am confused as to when to do that if someone could possibly help me. thanks

I was able to contact their customer service via their online form/email. They responded with requesting a screen shot. I replied with one similar to the author of this thread. They have yet to respond. I don't think they check these forums regularly.

I recommend everyone request technical assistance via their online form/email. That way they know that it is a common problem and you will have a record of the technical assistance. this can help limit repetitive futile suggestions about possible corrective measures.

Thank you for the tip about downgrading to an earlier version - I had the same problem, trying to get a job out the door and make DVD for the client. The 'upgrade' caused me serious heartache but thanks to this forum and especially pmittca's post above I have been able to get the work done.

No thanks to Roxio - still waiting for a reply from them.

well i'm on mountain lion 10.8.2 and need to burn disks as well.

i tried to update to toast 11.1 and had this problem too.

so i downgraded back to toast 11.0.6.

but i saw that toast 10.0.9 works better so i installed that just in case.

i think we need a toast 11.1.1 soon.

Edited by tywebb13

Add me to the list as well. It's nice to know I'm not alone but it doesn't stop me feeling very frustrated. I hadn't been able to Toast to work under Snow leopard as it just kept quitting when I started the app. Had given up on it for the last 6 months or so on my machine and used it on another machine. Thought I'd just finished all the upgrading process from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and this was the last software update I thought I'd need to do having done a clean install which worked fine. Guess I just have to wait another 6 months.

It doesn't work for me either. (Mountain Lion, iMac i7) Unbelievably poorly thought out. I have to go back to original install with all its original flaws if I want to use the program. We paid for this!!!!! Roxio, hang your heads in shame.

Guest ivanatrox

Hi All,

I understand some users are encountering this issue and have informed the development team about it. However, the turn around time might be delayed since it's a long weekend.

In the meantime, I want to confirm that the issue happens on not only on 10.8.2 but also previous version of Mac OS (i.e. 10.7.4, 10.6.8 etc).

Thanks!

Ivan

Kevin's suggestion worked for me ... hold down the Control key. Thank you!

You need to install it by holding down control and selecting it. That gives you a contextual message that works.

Edited by zlatkob

Kevin's suggestion worked for me ... hold down the Control key. Thank you!

What version of Toast (if you recall) were you upgrading from?

Which OS version?

Hey Guys,

I found a solution to this update problem. You need to go into Roxio website and sign in and get the download from there instead and everything should work just fine from there. You will be able to get past the greyed out finish.

What version were you upgrading from when the button was greyed out?

Add another to the list. The final button to finish is greyed out so I have a non-functional version of Toast! I know I can downgrade, did that and that get's me working again, but come on, how can you push out an update that doesn't fully install? Ler's get this fixed ASAP.

I'm on 10.8.1 if that makes any difference.

Add another to the list. The final button to finish is greyed out so I have a non-functional version of Toast! I know I can downgrade, did that and that get's me working again, but come on, how can you push out an update that doesn't fully install? Ler's get this fixed ASAP.

I'm on 10.8.1 if that makes any difference.

Holding down the control key does nothing for me on Mountain Lion 10.8.1. -.- This is sad indeed.

I find your lack of faith disturbing. ;)

Since we can't see the problem here (yet), would anyone experiencing this issue subject themselves to a brief phone call with me and possible a webex session?

EDIT: Got what I needed thanks to finelld