Question

Hi,

I just bought Toast 11 and tried to burn a DVD from Final Cut Pro X. I used "Share" to make an MOV file that's about 8Gigs, then imported it into Toast 11. Halfway through burning I get this message:

"The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03"

What does this mean? How do I fix it so I can burn the DVD? I tried locating an explanation of this error message, but no success.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Duncan

10 answers to this question

This error indicates that the DVD media is having problems with the data it is receiving. You might want to try to lower your burn speed in Toast by doing the following.

-Insert a blank disc into the burner.

-Select "Recorder Settings" from the "Recorder" menu.

-Under the "Basic" tab click on the "Write Speed" menu. Select the lowest speed available presented in bold text. At some point you can select higher speeds to accommodate your media type.

Outside of these steps, your media may not be compatible with your burner. Verbatim -R media is my preference.

• Like 1

I'm having this error with the latest version and TDK DVD-R 16x:

Sense Key = ERRORE DEL SUPPORTO

Sense Code = 0x0C

WRITE ERROR

Insert one of those TDK discs and choose Disc Info from the Recorder menu. In the window that appears you should see a hotlink that goes to a Web site where you can read user reports about the burn reliability of those discs. It may be that your disc burner does not work well with those discs or that the discs are poor quality. I suggest using Verbatim discs. The advice to set your burn speed to a lower speed after the blank disc is recognized by Toast may help you get a successful burn with the TDK discs.

I have had this problem only with TDK disks. I normally use Sony ones and have done for many years without any problems but the TDK DVD-R and CD-R fail comprehensively in Toast as well as in iTunes and plan Finder burning. I will go back to Sony now and pass the TDK ones on to someone who might be able to use them. I am on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and the latest version of Toast.

Robin

On an iMac, Toast 11.1, I'm using Sony and TDK discs, and I still get medium error messages constantly. Sometimes dual layer burning works, now it's stopping at 50%. Single layer burns stop at 34% every time. Burning disk images in Disk Utility usually but not always work. Burning discs using DVDSP work. I've used a disc drive cleaner to try and clean the lens.

I just don't know anymore whether it's my disc drive or if it's Toast.

I've used Toast since the mid 90s, FWIW. Never had these sorts of issues so regularly.

Anything else I should try? I'm getting a bit tired of wasting discs, especially dual layer ones.

On an iMac, Toast 11.1, I'm using Sony and TDK discs, and I still get medium error messages constantly. Sometimes dual layer burning works, now it's stopping at 50%. Single layer burns stop at 34% every time. Burning disk images in Disk Utility usually but not always work. Burning discs using DVDSP work. I've used a disc drive cleaner to try and clean the lens.

I just don't know anymore whether it's my disc drive or if it's Toast.

I've used Toast since the mid 90s, FWIW. Never had these sorts of issues so regularly.

Anything else I should try? I'm getting a bit tired of wasting discs, especially dual layer ones.

I know there are burning issues with 11.1 (1067) but those seem fixed with the (1072) update. The only other thing I can suggest is choosing a slower burn speed after the blank disc is recognized. It may be that your drive is failing but that's a very wild guess. I use an external disc burner (LaCie) because Apple's built-in drives and firmware aren't very good.

Just because I'm commenting about the disc burner doesn't mean the problem isn't with Toast. I just don't know.

i've been trying to burn a DVD from the Tivo transfer program. the download works, but when the encoding starts, either toast 11 crashes or an error "Mac OS result code = -39" appears

anybody knows what's happening?

thanks

My guess is there is a problem with the video which is causing this message and crash. A workaround may be to add the video to the Toast Convert window and save it using the Apple TV preset. If that works then use that version for the DVD.

If your TiVo video is standard definition then another approach may be to go to the Toast custom encoder settings window and choose Never re-encode. That way Toast will multiplex rather than encode the video (if it doesn't crash).

Let me know if any of this works. You might also transfer the video again from the TiVo.

i've been trying to burn a DVD from the Tivo transfer program. the download works, but when the encoding starts, either toast 11 crashes or an error "Mac OS result code = -39" appears

anybody knows what's happening?

thanks

Try writing to a different disk. Sometimes write permissions can get corrupted. Also, if you installed an update or plugin, you may need to reboot to get the proper libraries installed.

Recently I switched from a MacPro 1.1 running OS Lion to a Mac Mini running Yosemite. A world of a difference, but not for my Toast 11 .disc files nor disc images, since they will not open anymore. No matter how I approach these files, existing files are grayed out. I try to open them anyway, I get the error message that the file wont open because of an error in OSX, with code 39. Fixing permissions didn't do the trick, unfortunately. After saving a new .disc file, this one will open normally, like you'd expect.

I've worked with Toast for many years, even since Easy CD Creator as of my windows-periode. I never encounterd this issue after updating since Toast 8. It seems Toast 11 is not backwards compatible with it's own files created under OS Lion. Does anyone have a suggestion how to solve this issue?