laura9669

Videowave Created Dvd Won't Play On Any Dvd Player

I have a DVD that was created with videowave along time ago. I recently got it back and no matter where I try to play it, it won't play. It doesn't even want to show me the directories on the dvd. Can anyone tell me how I can get the video back that is on the dvd? It contains a very special clip that my daughter would like to get back badly. Any help is appreciated!

I have a DVD that was created with videowave along time ago. I recently got it back and no matter where I try to play it, it won't play. It doesn't even want to show me the directories on the dvd. Can anyone tell me how I can get the video back that is on the dvd? It contains a very special clip that my daughter would like to get back badly. Any help is appreciated!

If Windows Explorer cannot "see" the files on the DVD then it appears that the DVD has been corrupted.

When was the DVD created and with what program? Videowave as far as I know never could burn DVDs but only "create" the video files and another program was needed to burn the DVD.

Edited by myguggi

If the disc was only sligthly corrupted, you MAY be able to get the files back by using a file recovery piece of software. First get a CD/DVD and use it to make sure that all surface dirt and minor scratches are removed. There are several manual or automatiic ones on the market (examples).. Then go to cnet.com and look for file recovery software (link).. I have used only one to recover files off a screwed up memory card and it worked (except for one bad file).

Note: If the disc was an re-writable disc, there will probably be nothing on it; they cannot be used for long term storage.

I would never recommend someone use a " manual or automatic disc cleaner " 'resurfacing machine' on a burned DVD! Those were intended for commercial produced disc's not home burned DVD's

Only some newer BD DVD's you burn have a hard coating over the burned side. Cleaning older and regular DVD's the cleaner / resurfacing machine would probably cause more harm than good to the disc.

I would first try,

1.Wipe the DVD off with a lint-free or microfiber cloth.

2.Always wipe from the middle of the DVD towards the outer edge to prevent further scratching. Do not wipe in circles or wipe along the DVD circle.

3.Try playing the DVD. If it still does not work, go to the next step.

4.Rinse the DVD with room temperature water.

5.Add a little mild soap to the water if sticky substances are stuck onto the DVD.

6.Rinse with plain water.

7. Air-dry the DVD. Do not use a hair dryer, compressed air or other extreme temperature forced air system.

If that doesn't work a file recovery software like IsoBuster. Free to see if there are files to recover, buy to actually recover the files.

http://www.isobuster.com/