Npfilms12

Hdmi--->Dvi No Signal On Monitor

Question

Here is my setup for the roxio hd gamecapture pro:

Xbox to roxio via hdmi (input)

Hdmi (output) to monitor via HDMI-->DVI cable (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189057)

The USB cable is plugged into my laptop doing the recording. Roxio software picks up an image and everything seems fine. So the signal from the xbox through the roxio to the laptop seems fine, I can record without issue.

Problem: Monitor picks up no [digital] signal. So monitor is blank, no picture.

I've looked into multiple threads and these are the only two relevant ones I found:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/83745-hdmi-input-to-hdmi-output-to-hdmi-dvi-cord-for-pc-streaming/

Conclusion: Something is wrong with the roxio firmware/software

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/83513-hdmi-to-dvi-problems/

Conclusion: I have to buy some sort of passive splitter

So WTF, why won't it send a signal via regular HDMI to DVI? Am I missing something?

45 answers to this question

It could also be the cable or the input on your monitor.

Is the cable the correct one and does the monitor accept the input.

There are different kinds of DVI connections.Digital and Analog are 2.If the cable or the monitor input don't match then that could be a problem.

If Jim was able to get a picture then it should work as long as things match.

I'd look to make sure that the input on the monitor is DVI-D and the cable is likewise.

If the monitor is looking for a DVI-A input it won't work.

"YOU DO have to Manually set the Monitor to correct source"

There isnt any other source. Thats the only thing plugged into the monitor and so the menu to select a source is unavailable since, to the monitor, nothing is plugged in.

As for the cable type, did you see the link(http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812189057)? It doesn't specify if it's DVI-D (Edit: After some research it turns out it is a DVI-D cable), the monitor does take DVI-D (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824116054).

I don't think there is anything wrong with the cable personally. Would a HDMI to VGA work you think? If I have to buy another cable I might as well try it out?

Edited by Npfilms12

I have three settings on my monitor HDMI, Digital, and Analog.

If I'm not set for the correct connection my monitor is black!

The only settings I can see on my monitor in input is Digital and Analog. Still doesn't work when it says digital.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? I would really appreciate it.

Edited by Npfilms12

Yep... looks like DVI-D Dual Link...

Now what type of DVI connection is the monitor?

Now what type of DVI connection is the monitor?

D-Sub, DVI-D. Is that what you're looking for?

So do you think a HDMI to VGA work?

Edited by Npfilms12

D-Sub, DVI-D. Is that what you're looking for?

So do you think a HDMI to VGA work?

Don't know?

Try different cables if they are available and re-check all connections.

Don't know?

Try different cables if they are available and re-check all connections.

I already did all of that.

Oh and one more note. my monitor has nothing else plugged in and no menu is available if nothing is plugged in. It automatically tries to pick something up and if it can't it either pops up with "No Signal: Analog" or "No signal: Digital". If you try bringing up the monitor menu via the buttons on the side, nothing pops up if nothing is plugged in. So I can't really manually set it to digital. I've just had an idea, I'm going to test that hdmi to dvi cable on another computer/monitor setup, luckily the video card has hdmi and the monitor has dvi so I can test that hdmi to dvi cable. I'll report back with the results.

EDIT: The cable works just fine, like I expected. The monitor picked up a digital signal and the picture was just fine at the monitors native resolution (1680x1050). So that cable is not at fault here... My conclusion is that the roxio is at fault here. The thing is, I don't think this problem will be fixed if I get another unit. I bought this one new afterall. I think the design of this thing is at fault and I may need a passive convertor like that thread I linked to. Too many people are having this same problem for it just to be a bad unit from the bunch... or perhaps it is many, idk. Either way I'm starting to loose my patience after running around testing and buying different cables.

EDIT2: I've figured out a way to open the monitor menu, I've plugged a laptop into the analog (D-Sub) slot in my monitor and then setup my roxio and plugged in the dvi. So via the monitor menu I switched the input from analog to digital and then... NOTHING!!! So the roxio sucks &%$.... /rant.

Go buy an hdpvr2 folks...

Do you guys think this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047BRT3O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d12_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0AQFGPV998QRSX3E275J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Edited by Npfilms12

It could also be the cable or the input on your monitor.

Is the cable the correct one and does the monitor accept the input.

There are different kinds of DVI connections.Digital and Analog are 2.If the cable or the monitor input don't match then that could be a problem.

If Jim was able to get a picture then it should work as long as things match.

I'd look to make sure that the input on the monitor is DVI-D and the cable is likewise.

If the monitor is looking for a DVI-A input it won't work.

I've ruled out the cables. I've tested different cables and the cables are fine. I've tried the hdmi to dvi on other monitors and they have all picked up a digital signal, I've tried hooking up the hdmi to dvi cable straight from the xbox into the monitor, it works just fine. I've tried different hdmi to hdmi cables and they work just fine. THE !@#%ING CABLES, MONITOR INPUT, AND EVERYTHING IS CONFIRMED TO WORK JUST FINE. The only thing I can blame here is the roxio somehow can't send a proper signal to the monitor. A lot of people posting about this problem can't come up with a solution and the only possible solution that actually worked for someone was getting some stupid passive hdmi splitter http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846 here is the post: http://forums.suppor...ms/#entry422481

I'll spend more money into this #$^@ black hole and if it doesn't work that's the last straw!!! A refund will be at hand... shesh.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Edited by Npfilms12

I've ruled out the cables. I've tested different cables and the cables are fine. I've tried the hdmi to dvi on other monitors and they have all picked up a digital signal, I've tried hooking up the hdmi to dvi cable straight from the xbox into the monitor, it works just fine. I've tried different hdmi to hdmi cables and they work just fine. THE !@#%ING CABLES, MONITOR INPUT, AND EVERYTHING IS CONFIRMED TO WORK JUST FINE. The only thing I can blame here is the roxio somehow can't send a proper signal to the monitor. A lot of people posting about this problem can't come up with a solution and the only possible solution that actually worked for someone was getting some stupid passive hdmi splitter http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846 here is the post: http://forums.suppor...ms/#entry422481

I'll spend more money into this #$^@ black hole and if it doesn't work that's the last straw!!! A refund will be at hand... shesh.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Think this would work guys?

https://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php?masterid=707030580&lot_id=16004201&domain[0]=yahooshopping

If you don't have an HDMI connection on your monitor why buy that cable?

I have seen others posting with issues when going from HDMI to DVI.Why I have no idea.

They are both a digital format so having a cable shouldn't be an issue.

I used to use one to connect my PC when I had a monitor that didn't have HDMI.

Sorry but I just don't know why it wouldn't work.

If you don't have an HDMI connection on your monitor why buy that cable?

I have seen others posting with issues when going from HDMI to DVI.Why I have no idea.

They are both a digital format so having a cable shouldn't be an issue.

I used to use one to connect my PC when I had a monitor that didn't have HDMI.

Sorry but I just don't know why it wouldn't work.

The cable works though. It's a HDMI to DVI cable, that's the convertor is for I believe. It's also from the HDMI cables, when I plug the HDMI cables from my Roxio to the Xbox that's when the screen becomes blank. The HDMI cable is suppose to go the convertor if I get it, not my roxio that's why.

Thanks for trying to help though, I appreciate it

Edited by Npfilms12

After investigating some more it could be the monitor.Remember I say could be .

That monitor is not HDCP compliant from what I can find.

The XBox is,the cable is, but the monitor isn't.

This could be causing the problem as you might not be getting the handshake between the 2 ends.An HDMI connection is a bit more complex and things have to work correctly or you get no picture.

If the HDMI end is looking for the HDCP to synch to the other end and it isn't then bingo,no picture.

Mind you I said it could be the problem.

I know you hooked it up to something else and got picture but it could just be this source and this monitor.

Other than that I can't see any reason the thing shouldn't work.

You need to be on digital on the monitor as HDMI is only digital.

As long as you have a digital DVI cable and digital input on the monitor then they should connect other than an HDCP problem.

Is there any other TV in the house you can try on?

If so try a straight HDMI connection,without the DVI.Or even with the same cable if the TV has a DVI input.

If that works then it has to be something in that HDMI-DVI-Monitor connection.

Edited by tbrewst

Xbox Setup

Power off the Xbox 360. Connect an HDMI cable* to the HDMI port of the Xbox. Next, plug the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI IN port on the Roxio GameCAP HD PRO device.

Playstation Setup

Power off the PlayStation 3. Connect a console specific Component AV cable** to the A/V port of the console. An HDMI connection is not possible from the PS3 due to HDCP (Sony protected) video out. Next, plug the color corresponding Component Video and RCA Audio cables to the inputs on the Roxio GameCAP HD PRO device.

According to Roxio XBox even tho using HDMI is not HDCP protected!

PlayStation 3 is HDCP (Sony protected) video out..

The Xbox is not HDCP protected for gaming (supposedly) but it is for watching DVD movies or streaming Netflix.

So even though HDCP shouldn't be coming into the equation maybe it is in the conversion from HDMI to DVI.

I have no idea for sure,I'm just trying to come up with some possibilities.

I would think he would get a warning similar to this?

Is he trying to watch Video or use the XBox for gaming?

post-97-0-94600200-1356798642_thumb.jpg

I would think he would get a warning similar to this?

Is he trying to watch Video or use the XBox for gaming?

post-97-0-94600200-1356798642_thumb.jpg

I'm playing on Xbox 360. It records fine and shows up on the preview screen of the Roxio software. But it's just my monitor, I really don't know why this is a problem. Seemed logic when I thought of this setup, but yeah... I might try the HDMI Cable Splitter Adapter. I'll wait a few more hours for more ideas, if there doesn't seem to be anything. I will buy the convertor and let you guys know if it works.

I'm trying to use the Xbox for gaming.

Edited by Npfilms12

After investigating some more it could be the monitor.Remember I say could be .

That monitor is not HDCP compliant from what I can find.

The XBox is,the cable is, but the monitor isn't.

This could be causing the problem as you might not be getting the handshake between the 2 ends.An HDMI connection is a bit more complex and things have to work correctly or you get no picture.

If the HDMI end is looking for the HDCP to synch to the other end and it isn't then bingo,no picture.

Mind you I said it could be the problem.

I know you hooked it up to something else and got picture but it could just be this source and this monitor.

Other than that I can't see any reason the thing shouldn't work.

You need to be on digital on the monitor as HDMI is only digital.

As long as you have a digital DVI cable and digital input on the monitor then they should connect other than an HDCP problem.

Is there any other TV in the house you can try on?

If so try a straight HDMI connection,without the DVI.Or even with the same cable if the TV has a DVI input.

If that works then it has to be something in that HDMI-DVI-Monitor connection.

I don't have any other tv other then my monitor sorry. We tried the DVI input on another computer and switched the monitor to digital. It worked, signal came up on the monitor with the cable, so I'm not sure. As I've stated previously, the other thread post that I linked on here had the same problem. Apparently it worked when they tried to HDMI Cable Splitter Adapter.

Edited by Npfilms12

With it connected HDMI to the RGC and HDMI to DVD-D to Monitor do you get anything on the capture screen?

If so does it show protected signal?

You have a game in the XBox?

post-97-0-87775800-1356805576_thumb.jpg