Roxio Community

Photo

Buying Direct From Roxio In The Uk - Beware!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 AJones

AJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Just a word of warning to UK customers thinking of buying Creator NXT Pro direct from Roxio (which seems to be the only way of buying it from the UK). Don't make the same mistake I did and forget to take customs charges into account!

It's not made very obvious until you get to the point of actually placing the order (in fact it's not mentioned at all until that point, when the delivery shows as "international"), but despite responding to a UK offer from a UK website with a price in UK pounds sterling, then paying in UK pounds sterling, your DVDs are actually shipped from America.

This means that the UK border agency will charge you a whopping 20% VAT on the non-discounted price of the item and the post office will charge you an additional £8 "handling fee" on top of that, all of which you have to pay before they'll hand it over to you.

What's more, Roxio put the full price of the item, in US Dollars, on the packaging rather than the price you actually paid for it. I paid £54.47 including postage for my copy, but the value printed on the package was $96.25 (about £60.75) and that's what they charged me the tax on. So there's me thinking I got a good price, but in the end I had to pay £54.47 to Roxio, £12.15 to the UK border agency and £8 to the Post Office - £74.62 in total.

It's my own fault for not realising customs charges would be involved, but I wanted to warn others not to make the same mistake. I'm a little annoyed with Roxio for making it look like I was ordering from the UK until the last minute (this is from roxio.co.uk with British prices) and failing to warn about the extra charges.

Presumably if you order the product as a download rather than a physical DVD, you won't have to deal with all this hassle and expense (and won't have to wait nearly a month to receive it either). Otherwise, if you can possibly buy it from anywhere else, do so.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Aren't you going to pay custom charges for anything that is not physically manufactured in the UK???

Image1.jpg

#3 AJones

AJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Anything shipped from outside the EU to the UK I believe. I don't think it makes any difference where it was manufactured.

If I'd bought the standard NXT from Amazon UK it would have been shipped from the UK and the price on the website is all I would have paid. But I wanted the Pro version, which isn't available from anywhere other that Roxio themselves as far as I can see. I bought from www.roxio.co.uk which is a UK site and has all it's prices in UK pounds.

As I said, it's my fault for not realising that they were going to ship internationally (which they don't tell you until you place the order) and that customs charges would therefore be involved (which they don't warn you about at all). I should have looked into it further, but as I was buying from a UK website it didn't occur to me.

Edited by AJones, 09 February 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#4 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,858 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

What I get on the first page of buying the product from the Roxio UK site!

Pretty clear....

n.jpg

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#5 AJones

AJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Ah, now I see it.

That's on the order page, at the point you place the order, as I said. I knew at that point (and not before) it was an international order, but the whole customs issue didn't occur to me at the time. The note about VAT (which I did see) is normal, as VAT is normally included in the price for UK website purchases. Clicking the link for the list of countries seems to confirm this:

Estimated VAT Inclusive Pricing Footnote:

The price indicated includes anticipated VAT that we will collect from you based on information you make available to us. The total price may change during the course of the shopping session depending on a number of factors. However, you will have the opportunity to review the final price we will charge before you submit your order.

I assumed from that the final price I was charged on the site (£54.47) was all I had to pay, like it normally is when ordering anything from a UK site. I've never had a parcel "held to ransom" by the post office until I'd paid an additional charge (£20.15) before, because it's all normally included in the website price, so it came as a surprise to me.

However, I missed what it then goes on to say further down that link:

If the product is shipped from a different country from the one in which you are located (or, if you are located within the EU, the product is shipped from outside the EU), you will be identified as the “importer of record”. In that case, the prices reflected in the basket are exclusive of VAT and we will not collect VAT. However, please be advised that you may be asked to remit import related VAT and/or fees to the delivery agent upon delivery.

So, there it is. The VAT is 20% not 15% and is NOT included, so gets added on by customs. Just goes to show you should always read ALL the small print!

It still doesn't explain why the VAT was calculated based on a price over £6 higher than the one I payed, but at least that only cost me an extra £1 or so.

I'm less annoyed with Roxio and more annoyed with myself now. But my warning still stands. Don't make the same mistake as me if ordering from the UK, and be aware it's going to cost you more than the price you pay on the site if you buy direct from Roxio.

#6 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,858 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

That's on the order page, at the point you place the order, as I said.

Like I said, when I click buy on the Roxio UK site the page above is the first page I see.

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#7 AJones

AJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Like I said, when I click buy on the Roxio UK site the page above is the first page I see.

Exactly. You click buy when you place the order. What's the dispute here?

#8 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,858 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Exactly. You click buy when you place the order. What's the dispute here?

Where else would you except Roxio to post that information if not on the order page?

cd

Spoiler

#9 AJones

AJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

My point was that there's nothing on the site to indicate that you are not ordering a product from the UK until you place the order. The fact that additional customs charges are applied on delivery because of this is easy to miss. At least, I wasn't aware of it (the customs charge that is). If I'd been deliberately ordering from the US I might have been more wary but as I was ordering from a UK site I didn't realise I would have to pay the extra charge.

#10 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

My point was that there's nothing on the site to indicate that you are not ordering a product from the UK until you place the order. The fact that additional customs charges are applied on delivery because of this is easy to miss. At least, I wasn't aware of it (the customs charge that is). If I'd been deliberately ordering from the US I might have been more wary but as I was ordering from a UK site I didn't realise I would have to pay the extra charge.

Your thinking (expectations) is correct, IMHO, and I am from the U.S. You made the purchase from a U.K. site. If fault is to be dished out, it is the fault of that site, not the Roxio site.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

#11 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

I have never seen a site that shows the FULL CHARGES until you place the order :huh:

Amazon shows you a price but until you get to Check Out do you see Taxes and Shipping and Handling...

I was trying to buy some shaving soap from England and there was absolutely no disclosure of what US Import taxes would be even on the Check Out page...

Caveat Emptor :lol: :D :lol:

#12 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

I have never seen a site that shows the FULL CHARGES until you place the order :huh:

Amazon shows you a price but until you get to Check Out do you see Taxes and Shipping and Handling...

I was trying to buy some shaving soap from England and there was absolutely no disclosure of what US Import taxes would be even on the Check Out page...

Caveat Emptor :lol: :D :lol:

If I see the word Prime, by the price, I know the total price, before I put it in my shopping cart. :)

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

#13 bds1958

bds1958

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

Wish I'd seen this post 6 weeks ago before I did the same and ordered NXT Pro.
The big difference is that after 6 weeks I still don't have the product.
I complained to Roxio who have shipped me another disc so I'm waiting another 4-5 weeks for the "sting in the tail" when it arrives.
Hope it's worth the wait.....................and the additional costs.
Brian.

"You're only a failure when you throw in the towel"

Creator Edition Creator NXT Pro

Computer Type:- “ZOOSTORM ELITE” ACPI x64-based PC with “COOLER MASTER”
Operating System:- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition
CPU Type:- QuadCore , 3166 MHz (32 x 99)
Motherboard Chipset:- GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGIES GA-H61M-S2PV
System Memory:- 8155 MB
Video Adapter:- NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (1048256 KB)
Monitor:- Hannstar HW223 [22" LCD]
Audio Adapter:- Creative CA20K1 X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity Audio Processor
Audio Adapter:- Realtek ALC887 @ Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller
Network Adapter:- Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Internal Disk Drive:- ATA WDC WD10EZEX-00R SCSI Disk Device (931 GB)
External Disk Drive:- WD 10EAVS External USB Device (931 GB)
External Disk Drive:- WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device (1863 GB)
External Disk Drive:- WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device (931 GB)
Optical Drives (X2):- ATAPI iHAS122 C SCSI CdRom Device (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:22x/8x, DVD-RW:22x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
Optical Drive:- ROXIO DVD-ROM EMULATOR SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual CD-ROM)

#14 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,858 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

Wish I'd seen this post 6 weeks ago before I did the same and ordered NXT Pro.
The big difference is that after 6 weeks I still don't have the product.
I complained to Roxio who have shipped me another disc so I'm waiting another 4-5 weeks for the "sting in the tail" when it arrives.
Hope it's worth the wait.....................and the additional costs.

Post #4 shows the shipping from, did you not see it, when you ordered?

cd

Spoiler

#15 bds1958

bds1958

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Post #4 shows the shipping from, did you not see it, when you ordered?

I knew it was coming from the States but forgot about the other charges.

Might never get it anyway..........................................................
Brian.

"You're only a failure when you throw in the towel"

Creator Edition Creator NXT Pro

Computer Type:- “ZOOSTORM ELITE” ACPI x64-based PC with “COOLER MASTER”
Operating System:- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition
CPU Type:- QuadCore , 3166 MHz (32 x 99)
Motherboard Chipset:- GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGIES GA-H61M-S2PV
System Memory:- 8155 MB
Video Adapter:- NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 (1048256 KB)
Monitor:- Hannstar HW223 [22" LCD]
Audio Adapter:- Creative CA20K1 X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity Audio Processor
Audio Adapter:- Realtek ALC887 @ Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller
Network Adapter:- Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Internal Disk Drive:- ATA WDC WD10EZEX-00R SCSI Disk Device (931 GB)
External Disk Drive:- WD 10EAVS External USB Device (931 GB)
External Disk Drive:- WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device (1863 GB)
External Disk Drive:- WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device (931 GB)
Optical Drives (X2):- ATAPI iHAS122 C SCSI CdRom Device (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:22x/8x, DVD-RW:22x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
Optical Drive:- ROXIO DVD-ROM EMULATOR SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual CD-ROM)

#16 AJones

AJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

I knew it was coming from the States but forgot about the other charges.

Might never get it anyway..........................................................

Mine took nearly a month (between the dispatch date and the delivery of the post office "ransom note") to arrive. I assumed that was down to the customs delay.

It is a great product once you get it. Mine has worked flawlessly on my Windows 7 64bit system.

#17 colinburnshome

colinburnshome

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I understand (from a long time ago, but alas even in these times)... that: a) This forum is not a DIRECT link to Coral (sorry should that be Roxio!) and that: B) Some of the people on here who make regular responses to genuine queries are.. let's just say more than a little sarcastic, and not as helpful as one would hope for!!

However I would just like to know why I keep getting bombarded with offers (from Roxio?) to upgrade to NXT or NXT PRO (pro being the ONLY version I would go for) when the only options are to download or to buy physical (but having all the VAT and other import problems to the UK as mentioned above... is not for me thank you!)

At the end of the day (and having been a VERY, VERY loyal customer with Roxio, In fact I can go back as far as Adaptec for those old enough) why as a UK customer can I not walk into my local PC World store and buy this package locally? (after all they do sell NXT in store.. but never heard of NXT PRO!)

#18 colinburnshome

colinburnshome

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Typical.. no one cares!!

#19 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,127 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Typical.. no one cares!!

I don't think that's the case. It's just that you posted several questions to Roxio. They seem to be purely rhetorical questions, since in the same post you said this forum isn't a direct link to Corel/Roxio, so did you expect someone from the company to answer you?

As far as the users here answering your questions on Roxio policy, I think I can confidently say WE don't know the answers.

I personally think that it would be good policy to allow you to buy all Roxio's products in the UK at a price comparable to that paid by US customers, but I don't expect anyone 'up there' to listen to me. They probably won't even know I said this.

Regards,
Brendon

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
2 x DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windows XP, 7, and 8.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#20 colinburnshome

colinburnshome

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

....so did you expect someone from the company to answer you?

As far as the users here answering your questions on Roxio policy, I think I can confidently say WE don't know the answers.

I personally think that it would be good policy to allow you to buy all Roxio's products in the UK at a price comparable to that paid by US customers, but I don't expect anyone 'up there' to listen to me. They probably won't even know I said this.

Regards,
Brendon

Thank you for at the very least a response and a 'civil' one at that!

I have to say however that I do not believe for one minute that Rox/ral do not pay any attention at all to this 'support' forum as the program itself directs users DIRECTLY to here.. and promotes this forum at it's own website!!... (if I ran a company selling products and was directing users of those products to a so-called 'outside' forum for support... I think I would want to keep an eye on it.. would you not agree?? LOL

Secondly.. well it galls me (P------'s me off) that Rox/ral continues to send me emails to 'entice' me to purchase the online upgrade (from Creator 2009 ultimate) to NXT/NXT pro but also states in very small print at the bottom that I CANNOT reply to the email and therefore CANNOT relay my genuine question DIRECTLY to them.... which is: WHY can I NOT purchase 'Creator NXT PRO' LOCALLY or at least ONLINE in the UK when I CAN purchase 'Creator NXT' LOCALLY or even (cheaper) ONLINE in the UK??????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users