• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

AJones

Buying Direct From Roxio In The Uk - Beware!

Question

Just a word of warning to UK customers thinking of buying Creator NXT Pro direct from Roxio (which seems to be the only way of buying it from the UK). Don't make the same mistake I did and forget to take customs charges into account!

It's not made very obvious until you get to the point of actually placing the order (in fact it's not mentioned at all until that point, when the delivery shows as "international"), but despite responding to a UK offer from a UK website with a price in UK pounds sterling, then paying in UK pounds sterling, your DVDs are actually shipped from America.

This means that the UK border agency will charge you a whopping 20% VAT on the non-discounted price of the item and the post office will charge you an additional £8 "handling fee" on top of that, all of which you have to pay before they'll hand it over to you.

What's more, Roxio put the full price of the item, in US Dollars, on the packaging rather than the price you actually paid for it. I paid £54.47 including postage for my copy, but the value printed on the package was $96.25 (about £60.75) and that's what they charged me the tax on. So there's me thinking I got a good price, but in the end I had to pay £54.47 to Roxio, £12.15 to the UK border agency and £8 to the Post Office - £74.62 in total.

It's my own fault for not realising customs charges would be involved, but I wanted to warn others not to make the same mistake. I'm a little annoyed with Roxio for making it look like I was ordering from the UK until the last minute (this is from roxio.co.uk with British prices) and failing to warn about the extra charges.

Presumably if you order the product as a download rather than a physical DVD, you won't have to deal with all this hassle and expense (and won't have to wait nearly a month to receive it either). Otherwise, if you can possibly buy it from anywhere else, do so.

and your foot seems to be stuck in your mouth with all that nonsense you are spouting

One has to wonder about somebody who thinks a program "backup disc" is a blank disc.

Enlighten me ohhh wise one! as to how the backup disk is not blank (as the lady who I spoke to advised me that this is EXACTLY what it was.... so I could BACKUP my DOWNLOADED version of the software!!!!!!.... remember, her words... not MINE!)

Secondly.. if by any chance you mean that they will send me a COPY of my DOWNLOAD (ie the FULL RETAIL VERSION of NXT PRO) on disk... well tell me you smug g eye t, how this will arrive in the UK without any VAT or import duties applied (as it would be if I purchased the full DISC verison in the first place!!!???

Thirdly... so what happens about a manual.. all the extras as promised.. and for that matter a box? and how can I be sure that my licence key will work no matter how many times I re-install etc etc etc....

I take it this is no problem for you anyway Mr Smug.. as you can walk into a local store and buy the software 'off the shelf' (I guess in your case you got it free anyway as a so called 'tester (brown n_se) for Rox/Rel)

Sorry if this seems rude but the replies to my queries are at least as.. if not downright moreso!!!

People like this drive lots of customers away for good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't pick on him ! :angry: I enjoy reading all the nonsense he posts. I lightens my day.

As you are another 'enlightend one' who enjoys 'I lightens my day' (nice english there!) but at least said (sarcastically) 'Don't pick on him'... what would you suggest?

I mean if I have got this all wrong.. then please 'enlighten me' as to what people in the UK/Europe in general... should do??????????????????

This board is not a place for sneering at people, whether it is gurus or ordinary members doing the sneering. I appreciate that some of you might feel provoked but provoked or not, it ill becomes you and I'd ask you all to stop it.

Colinburnshome, You were given the wrong information by the Roxio Support operator. The backup disc that you pay extra for is in fact a pressed commercial copy of the software. After paying for the software by download you're supposed to get a pressed disc of it as a backup for that relatively small additional fee. I'm aghast that a Support telephone operator should have it so wrong, but I believe you given the nature of some call centres and I wonder how much training or experience she has had.

I don't imagine that the disc would arrive in the UK without H.M.Customs and Excise running an eye over it, but it should be declared by the sender at the price you're paying for it.

Boxes and manuals don't come with the ESD [Electronic Software Distribution] versions, and in fact the policy lately seems to be to provide a Quick Start Guide [QSG] and leave the poor customer to find his own way through the learning centers and help systems. Many customers lament this money-saving policy.

The policy of limiting licence key use was started with Creator NXT. I guess it is to prevent piracy, but I'm not alone in suggesting it's a large step backwards from the customer viewpoint, and causes the customer more trouble than it's worth. It will be interesting to see if the next version carries on this policy.

Regards,

Brendon

As a slight tangent from the subject of backup disks, I bought the physical product rather than the download and the disks I received were DVD-Rs with labels stuck on the top. Not a problem, but surprising that they weren't proper pressed DVDs, especially given the price.

It could be that NXT Pro is only really available as a download to UK customers and I effectively just received the backup disks without the download. That could explain why it isn't available to buy in shops or from other websites - maybe the disks are only burned on demand and there is no actual ready-to-ship packaged retail product?

Disclaimer: Just observation and speculation. Step away from the pitchforks! ;)

Very strange, isn't it. Perhaps the company is withering its UK branches, deliberately or otherwise?

Was that an actual paper label stuck on the disc, rather than a printed disc? If so that's not good for longevity.

Regards,

Brendon

Yes, they are full-face glossy colour labels covering almost the whole of the top side. They look like they have been applied (slightly off-centre) by one of those CD labelling kits.

I didn't know labels had a negative effect on writable DVDs. Perhaps I should make some backup copies.

It could be that NXT Pro is only really available as a download to UK customers and I effectively just received the backup disks without the download. That could explain why it isn't available to buy in shops or from other websites - maybe the disks are only burned on demand and there is no actual ready-to-ship packaged retail product?

Good to see some 'sensible' response from Brendon and yourself sir :)

If anything you have more or less confirmed what I suspected... that the UK at least if not all Europe (I actually live in Northern Ireland) is at a distinct disadvantage here. God only knows why Rox/rel have taken this marketing strategy because as I have already stated several times... NXT is widely available even 'off the shelf' here! :wacko:

NXT is NO GOOD to me... I want to be able to work with Blu Ray discs... I want ALL the extra features that are 'promised' with NXT PRO... and I want to be able to buy it as a FULL package, box and all.. not as some sort of 'amaturishly put together' afterthought by some spotty geek somewhere (I guess) in the US :angry: so your experience has helped to make my mide up for me...

I'll be looking elsewhere, thanks soooooo much Rox/rel... for NOTHHHHHHINGGGGGG!! :angry: :angry:

Simple message: DO NOT buy Roxio products online in the UK.

They are priced in GBP and the invoice shows a shipping charge in GBP.

There is no indication on the invoice that the item will be shipped from the USA.

I bought EasyVHS and after it arrived I received a huge additional shipping bill from FedEx. :angry:

Corel Customer Service is useless. :angry:

No reply from the UK or Europe phone numbers. :angry:

Chat just referred me to Digital River. They just sent a long standard email about taxes etc. :angry:

I do not expect to hear more from any of the above.

But I would not be surprised if this flouts UK Consumer Protection legislation!