Roxio Community

Photo

Buying Direct From Roxio In The Uk - Beware!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#21 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,858 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Typical.. no one cares!!

Contact Corel International Customer Service United Kingdom: 0800 376 9272

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#22 colinburnshome

colinburnshome

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Well as it happens I took your advise and called the number... the lady who... eventually took the call, did not sound like she was in the UK.. not a problem to me but she really did not have any answers with regard to UK products!!
I was advised to.. 'buy the download version (no import duties, VAT etc) and also buy the backup disc (which I presume is a blank DVD, for an extra £7.00) so you can burn your own copy onto to keep.. wow wee.. I would never have thought of that!! LOL (I have loads of blank DVD's which I think at the last time of purchase cost approx £0.49 pence per disc!!!) :lol:

Sorry.. if the software was £5.99 or up to £9.99 I could understand and could go with all of this.. but not for something that retails at (or over) £70 pounds UK and lots more on top for the import duties, tax etc... I would at least expect a box, a DVD loaded with software, including ALL the extras... A licence key for each product (MY licence keys) and a manual of some sort!!!! :blink:

I'm thinking of walking away from this product completely.. which is sad cause it will mean paying out (possibly more) for another 'more professional' product which can be purchased easily in the UK but which will require a completly new 'learning curve'!

I think Roxio/Corel have shot themselves in the foot UK wise if not all of europe!! :wacko: :blink: :o

#23 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,127 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

I think Roxio/Corel have shot themselves in the foot UK wise if not all of europe!! :wacko: :blink: :o

I think you've made your point quite well.

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
2 x DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windows XP, 7, and 8.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#24 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,858 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

I think you've made your point quite well.

Except for making this big mistake, assumption, colinburnshome you presumed wrong!

and also buy the backup disc (which I presume is a blank DVD, for an extra £7.00) so you can burn your own copy onto to keep.. wow wee.

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#25 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Well as it happens I took your advise and called the number... the lady who... eventually took the call, did not sound like she was in the UK.. not a problem to me but she really did not have any answers with regard to UK products!!
I was advised to.. 'buy the download version (no import duties, VAT etc) and also buy the backup disc (which I presume is a blank DVD, for an extra £7.00) so you can burn your own copy onto to keep.. wow wee.. I would never have thought of that!! LOL (I have loads of blank DVD's which I think at the last time of purchase cost approx £0.49 pence per disc!!!) :lol:

Sorry.. if the software was £5.99 or up to £9.99 I could understand and could go with all of this.. but not for something that retails at (or over) £70 pounds UK and lots more on top for the import duties, tax etc... I would at least expect a box, a DVD loaded with software, including ALL the extras... A licence key for each product (MY licence keys) and a manual of some sort!!!! :blink:

I'm thinking of walking away from this product completely.. which is sad cause it will mean paying out (possibly more) for another 'more professional' product which can be purchased easily in the UK but which will require a completly new 'learning curve'!

and your foot seems to be stuck in your mouth with all that nonsense you are spouting

One has to wonder about somebody who thinks a program "backup disc" is a blank disc.

Edited by myguggi, 26 August 2013 - 03:11 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#26 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,304 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:09 AM

Don't pick on him ! :angry: I enjoy reading all the nonsense he posts. I lightens my day.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#27 colinburnshome

colinburnshome

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

and your foot seems to be stuck in your mouth with all that nonsense you are spouting

One has to wonder about somebody who thinks a program "backup disc" is a blank disc.

Enlighten me ohhh wise one! as to how the backup disk is not blank (as the lady who I spoke to advised me that this is EXACTLY what it was.... so I could BACKUP my DOWNLOADED version of the software!!!!!!.... remember, her words... not MINE!)

Secondly.. if by any chance you mean that they will send me a COPY of my DOWNLOAD (ie the FULL RETAIL VERSION of NXT PRO) on disk... well tell me you smug g eye t, how this will arrive in the UK without any VAT or import duties applied (as it would be if I purchased the full DISC verison in the first place!!!???

Thirdly... so what happens about a manual.. all the extras as promised.. and for that matter a box? and how can I be sure that my licence key will work no matter how many times I re-install etc etc etc....

I take it this is no problem for you anyway Mr Smug.. as you can walk into a local store and buy the software 'off the shelf' (I guess in your case you got it free anyway as a so called 'tester (brown n_se) for Rox/Rel)

Sorry if this seems rude but the replies to my queries are at least as.. if not downright moreso!!!

People like this drive lots of customers away for good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#28 colinburnshome

colinburnshome

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

Don't pick on him ! :angry: I enjoy reading all the nonsense he posts. I lightens my day.

As you are another 'enlightend one' who enjoys 'I lightens my day' (nice english there!) but at least said (sarcastically) 'Don't pick on him'... what would you suggest?

I mean if I have got this all wrong.. then please 'enlighten me' as to what people in the UK/Europe in general... should do??????????????????

#29 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,127 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

This board is not a place for sneering at people, whether it is gurus or ordinary members doing the sneering. I appreciate that some of you might feel provoked but provoked or not, it ill becomes you and I'd ask you all to stop it.

Colinburnshome, You were given the wrong information by the Roxio Support operator. The backup disc that you pay extra for is in fact a pressed commercial copy of the software. After paying for the software by download you're supposed to get a pressed disc of it as a backup for that relatively small additional fee. I'm aghast that a Support telephone operator should have it so wrong, but I believe you given the nature of some call centres and I wonder how much training or experience she has had.

I don't imagine that the disc would arrive in the UK without H.M.Customs and Excise running an eye over it, but it should be declared by the sender at the price you're paying for it.

Boxes and manuals don't come with the ESD [Electronic Software Distribution] versions, and in fact the policy lately seems to be to provide a Quick Start Guide [QSG] and leave the poor customer to find his own way through the learning centers and help systems. Many customers lament this money-saving policy.

The policy of limiting licence key use was started with Creator NXT. I guess it is to prevent piracy, but I'm not alone in suggesting it's a large step backwards from the customer viewpoint, and causes the customer more trouble than it's worth. It will be interesting to see if the next version carries on this policy.

Regards,
Brendon

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

#30 AJones

AJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

As a slight tangent from the subject of backup disks, I bought the physical product rather than the download and the disks I received were DVD-Rs with labels stuck on the top. Not a problem, but surprising that they weren't proper pressed DVDs, especially given the price.

It could be that NXT Pro is only really available as a download to UK customers and I effectively just received the backup disks without the download. That could explain why it isn't available to buy in shops or from other websites - maybe the disks are only burned on demand and there is no actual ready-to-ship packaged retail product?

Disclaimer: Just observation and speculation. Step away from the pitchforks! ;)

#31 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,127 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Very strange, isn't it. Perhaps the company is withering its UK branches, deliberately or otherwise?

Was that an actual paper label stuck on the disc, rather than a printed disc? If so that's not good for longevity.

Regards,
Brendon

#32 AJones

AJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yes, they are full-face glossy colour labels covering almost the whole of the top side. They look like they have been applied (slightly off-centre) by one of those CD labelling kits.

I didn't know labels had a negative effect on writable DVDs. Perhaps I should make some backup copies.

#33 colinburnshome

colinburnshome

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

It could be that NXT Pro is only really available as a download to UK customers and I effectively just received the backup disks without the download. That could explain why it isn't available to buy in shops or from other websites - maybe the disks are only burned on demand and there is no actual ready-to-ship packaged retail product?

Good to see some 'sensible' response from Brendon and yourself sir :)

If anything you have more or less confirmed what I suspected... that the UK at least if not all Europe (I actually live in Northern Ireland) is at a distinct disadvantage here. God only knows why Rox/rel have taken this marketing strategy because as I have already stated several times... NXT is widely available even 'off the shelf' here! :wacko:

NXT is NO GOOD to me... I want to be able to work with Blu Ray discs... I want ALL the extra features that are 'promised' with NXT PRO... and I want to be able to buy it as a FULL package, box and all.. not as some sort of 'amaturishly put together' afterthought by some spotty geek somewhere (I guess) in the US :angry: so your experience has helped to make my mide up for me...

I'll be looking elsewhere, thanks soooooo much Rox/rel... for NOTHHHHHHINGGGGGG!! :angry: :angry:

#34 Roxio UK

Roxio UK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

Simple message: DO NOT buy Roxio products online in the UK.

They are priced in GBP and the invoice shows a shipping charge in GBP.

There is no indication on the invoice that the item will be shipped from the USA.

I bought EasyVHS and after it arrived I received a huge additional shipping bill from FedEx. :angry: 

Corel Customer Service is useless. :angry:

No reply from the UK or Europe phone numbers. :angry:

Chat just referred me to Digital River.  They just sent a long standard email about taxes etc. :angry:

I do not expect to hear more from any of the above.

But I would not be surprised if  this flouts UK Consumer Protection legislation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users