Comish

Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite - Install / Running !

Question

I must be very dumb to have purchased a new copy barely of the production line.

1) Had major grieve getting it to Download....finally Sonic walked me through.....turn off all protection and bypass the router and then the Downloads start.....Suggest you purchase a backup CD and extra DL time.

2) I didn,t uninstall Roxio 8 and other then a clitch with DivxPlay install Roxio 9 seemed to install very slowly....suggest again you turn off antivirus and other related programs.

3) Although Roxio 9 started and seemed to work well it did crash a few times. Roxio 8 worked OK

4) I unloaded an extensive amount of programs that I thought may give Roxio 9 a problem.....registry ...and tmp files cleaned and install rebooted.....however still buggy

5) Silly me I uninstalled all reference to Roxio 8 and Roxio 9 (including related installs ussing an uninstaller which hasn,t failed me yet.

6) Then reinstalled Roxio 9 and again other the the DIvXPlay issue which cant seem to start according to a missing MFC70U.DLL file ( checked and this file is on my system) all went well. I rebooted

the system and again starting up Roxio 9 GUI and the program crashed.

So...readers all is not well again with Roxio for me...it must be Back to School time again

Any help or insight will be kindly appreciated and I shall also go through the Tech channels for assistance

Forum administrator place this topic where it may do the best good

Comish

14 answers to this question

I must be very dumb to have purchased a new copy barely of the production line.

1) Had major grieve getting it to Download....finally Sonic walked me through.....turn off all protection and bypass the router and then the Downloads start.....Suggest you purchase a backup CD and extra DL time.

2) I didn,t uninstall Roxio 8 and other then a clitch with DivxPlay install Roxio 9 seemed to install very slowly....suggest again you turn off antivirus and other related programs.

3) Although Roxio 9 started and seemed to work well it did crash a few times. Roxio 8 worked OK

4) I unloaded an extensive amount of programs that I thought may give Roxio 9 a problem.....registry ...and tmp files cleaned and install rebooted.....however still buggy

5) Silly me I uninstalled all reference to Roxio 8 and Roxio 9 (including related installs ussing an uninstaller which hasn,t failed me yet.

6) Then reinstalled Roxio 9 and again other the the DIvXPlay issue which cant seem to start according to a missing MFC70U.DLL file ( checked and this file is on my system) all went well. I rebooted

the system and again starting up Roxio 9 GUI and the program crashed.

So...readers all is not well again with Roxio for me...it must be Back to School time again

Any help or insight will be kindly appreciated and I shall also go through the Tech channels for assistance

Forum administrator place this topic where it may do the best good

Comish

Hi Comish,

Here are my 2 cents worth...

firstly , the issue YOU had on downloading are an issue with your setup..(as you have stated ) not with roxio?

secondly installing over version 8 is a hit or miss, as there will be co-shareing of the same files on the system, some users had no issues with the co-share of the two products, and some do,

my recomendatation would be to have a clean (burning software) free system and then install the software, also it is very important to make sure you have the most up-to-date video drivers, and directx ect...

as to the MFC70U.DLL file and MFC71.DLL are related to the Dazzel drivers that are included in the install master cd, as Version 8 deluxe had a hardware device included in the pack, these drivers are included,

you can get the file manuly from here and copy it to your c:\windows\system32 folder or uninstall all EMC8 and 9 and reboot and then install again..

also doing a repair to EMC9 in the add and remove programes may fix your issue to, give that a try first.

also make sure that you clean the registry up before you do the Clean EMC9 install, use Microsofts free registy cleaner ( make sure you have a backup of the little begger first as i hate to see you screw up your system)

hope to hear how this go's for you

Edited by Dr Who

My experiance has been that it is best to completely rid your system of V8 first,then install V9.For some reason it just seems to have less problems that way (for me at least).

Guest ivanatrox

remove both 8 and 9 from Add or Remove Programs

(assuming you don't have any other Roxio software installed)

delete Roxio folder in C:\Program Files

delete Roxio Shared folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files

delete Roxio folder in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Roxio

delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Roxio and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roxio if they are there

restart the computer

install EMC 9

Let us know how it goes

It is a shame that uninstalling EMC 8 isn't enough to make your computer ready for EMC 9. I know for a fact that hundreds of registry entries are left behind, many of which are now invalid. File types, applications, and shared DLLs are just a few of them. Roxio should write a better uninstall soon.

Where can one find the Microsoft Reg. Cleaner? And don't be smart and say microsoft.com. I've been searching that site and have only found a registry tool for Windows 2003.

I use a registry tool now, and it is very good, but it isn't for the average user. It located things that if removed would damage your system, and it requires one knows the difference. I assume Microsoft's would be a little more idiot proof.

I don't even want to tell you what a mess your computer gets into when you try going from Nero to Roxio or visa-versa. Nero leaves all sort of stuff behind, too.

One bright note: Adobe Premier Elements plays well with others.

M.

It is a shame that uninstalling EMC 8 isn't enough to make your computer ready for EMC 9. I know for a fact that hundreds of registry entries are left behind, many of which are now invalid. File types, applications, and shared DLLs are just a few of them. Roxio should write a better uninstall soon.

Where can one find the Microsoft Reg. Cleaner? And don't be smart and say microsoft.com. I've been searching that site and have only found a registry tool for Windows 2003.

I use a registry tool now, and it is very good, but it isn't for the average user. It located things that if removed would damage your system, and it requires one knows the difference. I assume Microsoft's would be a little more idiot proof.

I don't even want to tell you what a mess your computer gets into when you try going from Nero to Roxio or visa-versa. Nero leaves all sort of stuff behind, too.

One bright note: Adobe Premier Elements plays well with others.

M.

MIcrosoft Cleanup Utility

About halfway down the page you'll see the download link.

The thing to remember about the Windows utility is all that it cleans is Windows Installer info.It's not meant to clean you registry of all references to an app,just the stuff that applies to the installation routine.

My experiance has been that it is best to completely rid your system of V8 first,then install V9.For some reason it just seems to have less problems that way (for me at least).

Did evering you said and still no luck

I loaded V9 also on a clean drive with only windows XP PRO and it worked OK except wont load PhotoSuite

I have played with my original drive which ran stable with Roxio V8.5 ...........unloaded many programs..... inluding Firewall,Antivirus,Malware progrmas etc. and Roxio V9.0 runs in a limited fashion......the following features will not load or run. Cinemagic,PhotoSuite,Media Import,Multiphot inhance,Photo Email Asstance, Photoprojects Assistance and SlideShow.

I have taking the advices of the Forum members and no LUCK!

I opened a Ticket for tech support and they do not respond (ticket # 238867 is still open )

I have paid close to $100 Canadian and Sonic?Roxio could care less!!

There was nothing unussual about my system it runs stable and I always update my progams.

I am a person who likes to get to the bottem of the trouble.......but this one is a very smelly skunk

I think the we are again the trial brigade so that there Programmers sit back and let us figure it out for them

I quess I am a bit angry but I had to reload systems for inappropreate reasons

Why wont Sonic/Roxio not respond is very shabby

Hope Iam not the onlyone having so much grieve

Help Please

Comish

Edited by Comish

Did evering you said and still no luck

I loaded V9 also on a clean drive with only windows XP PRO and it worked OK except wont load PhotoSuite

I have played with my original drive which ran stable with Roxio V8.5 ...........unloaded many programs..... inluding Firewall,Antivirus,Malware progrmas etc. and Roxio V9.0 runs in a limited fashion......the following features will not load or run. Cinemagic,PhotoSuite,Media Import,Multiphot inhance,Photo Email Asstance, Photoprojects Assistance and SlideShow.

I have taking the advices of the Forum members and no LUCK!

I opened a Ticket for tech support and they do not respond (ticket # 238867 is still open )

I have paid close to $100 Canadian and Sonic?Roxio could care less!!

There was nothing unussual about my system it runs stable and I always update my progams.

I am a person who likes to get to the bottem of the trouble.......but this one is a very smelly skunk

I think the we are again the trial brigade so that there Programmers sit back and let us figure it out for them

I quess I am a bit angry but I had to reload systems for inappropreate reasons

Why wont Sonic/Roxio not respond is very shabby

Hope Iam not the onlyone having so much grieve

Help Please

Comish

I don't know how long ago you submitted your ticket, but most the post here seem to note that it takes a few days to get a response via email. Since this is such a new product, you might want to try contacting them by phone. Being as new as v9 is, they may not charge for support calls yet for issues like this.

I just checked and it looks like your ticket was answered this morning. I think that your assumption that we dont care is premature. Also, in the ticket, it appears that everything works fine on one of two machines. Do you suspect there might be a problem with the windows installation on that machine where it isnt working?

"The thing to remember about the Windows utility is all that it cleans is Windows Installer info.It's not meant to clean you registry of all references to an app,just the stuff that applies to the installation routine".

The statement that Terry made (above) is something that I think a lot of people don't understand. And I'm glad that you brought that up Terry. Most think that the windows utility is some kind of cure-all for getting rid of a program. Same with Roxizap and any other registry cleaners. You have to use them knowing what each does to begin with.

Starting off with a very clean computer with no other Roxio programming on it seems to be as good a cure for installation of EMC 9 as anything, IMHO.

Frank....

remove both 8 and 9 from Add or Remove Programs

(assuming you don't have any other Roxio software installed)

delete Roxio folder in C:\Program Files

delete Roxio Shared folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files

delete Roxio folder in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Roxio

delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Roxio and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roxio if they are there

restart the computer

install EMC 9

Let us know how it goes

Hi, have been struggling with v9 for 2 days now. I upgraded from Dell's Media Experience, which worked fine.

Did everything mentioned above. Also removed the same entries for any Sonic related files and keys. After whcih I also ran Registry Mechanic.

Rebooted after every step.

Installed V9, and still it crashes on start-up of almost every application (added are event viewer messages):

- Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Home > crashes

Faulting application roxio_central33.exe, version 3.30.45.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x001b6d09.

- DVD Music Assistant > crashes

Faulting application dvdmusicassistant9.exe, version 9.0.1.37, faulting module urlmon.dll, version 7.0.5700.6, fault address 0x00028927.

- Easy Audio Capture > crashes

Faulting application analogrec9.exe, version 9.0.1.37, faulting module urlmon.dll, version 7.0.5700.6, fault address 0x00028927.

- Music Disk Creator > crashes

Faulting application musicdisccreator9.exe, version 9.0.1.37, faulting module urlmon.dll, version 7.0.5700.6, fault address 0x00028927.

- MyDVD > crashes

Faulting application videowave9.exe, version 9.0.2.16, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00198759.

- Disk Copier > crashes

Faulting application disccopier9.exe, version 9.0.1.58, faulting module urlmon.dll, version 7.0.5700.6, fault address 0x00028927.

Ah well, you get the picture. Most apps crash... :).

Running Windows XP SP2 on Dell XPS Gen5.

The mention of urlmon.dll v 7.0.5700.6 in youtr error messages makes me think you have IE 7 (probaly RC1).

If so see the extensive discussion about EMC 9 crashing when first opening modules (which then tries to register/activate them), with IE 7 installed:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...c=8877&st=0

The fix seems to be to uninstall IE 7 using add/remove (which rolls you bback to IE 6).

Edited by jeanrosenfeld