Jump to content

Roxio Community

HowTo fix both DivX and EMC 9


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 MTolman

MTolman

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:12 PM

Until Roxio finds a long term solution, installing EMC 9 may cause problems your DivX codec and force you to use the version that EMC installs.  Installing DivX after EMC 9 will break EMC 9's ability to use any DivX based media file (avi and mp4).  It seems they both named with DirectShow Decode filter's file DivXDec.ax and they replace the existing file on install and repair.  Two codecs, different versions, each trying to use the same filter.  Only one works at a time.

If you need both the latest DivX codex and EMC 9, there is a solution.  First figure out which version of the file is currently in the /windows/system32/ directory.  This is easy to do.  The DivX file is all lower case, divxdec.ax, and the EMC file is DivXDec.ax.

FYI - When you're done with this HowTo, the files will be in the following locations, and DirectShow will be updated so it knows where to find them both:
C:\Windows\system32\divxdec.ax
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\DivXDec.ax

If you're file is DivXDec.ax, start here.  If you're file is divxdec.ax, scroll down to the DivX version of the HowTo.

EMC 9 Version

Overview:
  • Unregister the EMC filter.
  • Move the file out of the system32 directory.
  • Register it in its new location.
  • Reinstall the DivX codec.
Before moving the file you need to unregister it from DirectShow.  Click on Start and then Run.. to open the Run window.  Enter in the following in the text area:

regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\DivXDec.ax


Now click on the OK button.  A popup should tell you if it worked or not.  Let's assume it worked, and continue on.

I'll assume you know how to copy a file from one directory to another.  So, copy the DivXDec.ax file to your c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\ directory.  There should already be a few other divx files there.

Open the Run window again, but this time enter in the following:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\DivXDec.ax"


Click the OK button.  A popup should tell you it worked.

Lastly, reinstall DivX.  Now might be a good time to get the latest version from the DivX.com site.  The install process will do the rest.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

DivX Version

Overview:
  • Copy the DivX version to a safe place.
  • Get a copy of the EMC version of the file.
  • Copy the EMC version to its new location.
  • Register the EMC version in its new location.
  • Put the DivX version back in the system32 directory.
  • Register the DivX version.
You need to get your hands on the EMC version of the file, but running the Install or Repair will replace the DivX version of the file, so make sure you copy it to another directory before starting.  I'll assume you know how to copy a file from one directory to another.  Copy c:\windows\system32\divxdec.ax someplace safe like your desktop.

I installed DivX on my Desktop and EMC on my Notebook and used a USB flash drive to swap them.  If you know someone with EMC 9 already installed, you can get the file from him/her.  Otherwise, you're going to have to get it via the EMC 9 install program.  If EMC is already installed, running Repair is a lot quicker than running the Install again.  To run Repair, open Control Panel and "Add or Remove Programs".  Locate Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite in the list.  Do NOT hit the Remove button.  Click on the Change button instead.

Click Next and then select Repair, then click the Next button.  Follow any directions until complete.  It may take a while for it to do what ever it does, and it doesn't give any feed back for quite some time, then it starts listing off the tasks it is working on.  When it is done, the EMC version of the file will be in the system32 directory.

Before moving the file you need to unregister it from DirectShow.  Click on Start and then Run.. to open the Run window.  Enter in the following in the text area:

regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\DivXDec.ax


Now click on the OK button.  A popup should tell you if it worked or not.  Let's assume it worked, and continue on.

Copy the DivXDec.ax file to your c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\ directory.  There should already be a few other divx files there.

Open the Run window again, but this time enter in the following:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\DivXDec.ax"


Click the OK button.  A popup should tell you it worked.

Copy the DivX version of the file back to the c:\windows\system32\ directory.  Once it is there we just need to ley DirectShow know about the change, so open the Run window and enter:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\divxdec.ax


Click the OK button.  A popup should tell you it worked.

If all went well, you should be done.  Each version of the file is located in a different directory, and they both should be registered with DirectShow.

One last note:  If you update or repair your Roxio EMC 9 files, you'll have to go through this all over again.  With luck Roxio will be on the ball and you shouldn't have to worry about it for long.  I changed the DivX version of the file to Read Only, but I don't know if that will be enough to stop it from being replaced by Roxio.

Please let me know if you find any mistakes or have any problems.
M.

Edited by frenchtoastwithjam, 30 August 2006 - 08:37 PM.


#2 John at Roxio

John at Roxio

    Digital Master

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

Wow, good work.  I pinned it for a while.

#3 ggrussell

ggrussell

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

You may want to consider putting this in the KB also.  Very precise and easy to follow.
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#4 malatekid

malatekid

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,664 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

View PostMTolman, on Aug 30 2006, 07:12 PM, said:

Until Roxio finds a long term solution, installing EMC 9 may cause problems your DivX codec and force you to use the version that EMC installs. Installing DivX after EMC 9 will break EMC 9's ability to use any DivX based media file (avi and mp4). It seems they both named with DirectShow Decode filter's file DivXDec.ax and they replace the existing file on install and repair. Two codecs, different versions, each trying to use the same filter. Only one works at a time.

If you need both the latest DivX codex and EMC 9, there is a solution. First figure out which version of the file is currently in the /windows/system32/ directory. This is easy to do. The DivX file is all lower case, divxdec.ax, and the EMC file is DivXDec.ax.

FYI - When you're done with this HowTo, the files will be in the following locations, and DirectShow will be updated so it knows where to find them both:
C:\Windows\system32\divxdec.ax
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\DivXDec.ax

If you're file is DivXDec.ax, start here. If you're file is divxdec.ax, scroll down to the DivX version of the HowTo.

EMC 9 Version

Overview:
  • Unregister the EMC filter.
  • Move the file out of the system32 directory.
  • Register it in its new location.
  • Reinstall the DivX codec.
Before moving the file you need to unregister it from DirectShow. Click on Start and then Run.. to open the Run window. Enter in the following in the text area:

regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\DivXDec.ax


Now click on the OK button. A popup should tell you if it worked or not. Let's assume it worked, and continue on.

I'll assume you know how to copy a file from one directory to another. So, copy the DivXDec.ax file to your c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\ directory. There should already be a few other divx files there.

Open the Run window again, but this time enter in the following:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\DivXDec.ax"


Click the OK button. A popup should tell you it worked.

Lastly, reinstall DivX. Now might be a good time to get the latest version from the DivX.com site. The install process will do the rest.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

DivX Version

Overview:
  • Copy the DivX version to a safe place.
  • Get a copy of the EMC version of the file.
  • Copy the EMC version to its new location.
  • Register the EMC version in its new location.
  • Put the DivX version back in the system32 directory.
  • Register the DivX version.
You need to get your hands on the EMC version of the file, but running the Install or Repair will replace the DivX version of the file, so make sure you copy it to another directory before starting. I'll assume you know how to copy a file from one directory to another. Copy c:\windows\system32\divxdec.ax someplace safe like your desktop.

I installed DivX on my Desktop and EMC on my Notebook and used a USB flash drive to swap them. If you know someone with EMC 9 already installed, you can get the file from him/her. Otherwise, you're going to have to get it via the EMC 9 install program. If EMC is already installed, running Repair is a lot quicker than running the Install again. To run Repair, open Control Panel and "Add or Remove Programs". Locate Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite in the list. Do NOT hit the Remove button. Click on the Change button instead.

Click Next and then select Repair, then click the Next button. Follow any directions until complete. It may take a while for it to do what ever it does, and it doesn't give any feed back for quite some time, then it starts listing off the tasks it is working on. When it is done, the EMC version of the file will be in the system32 directory.

Before moving the file you need to unregister it from DirectShow. Click on Start and then Run.. to open the Run window. Enter in the following in the text area:

regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\DivXDec.ax


Now click on the OK button. A popup should tell you if it worked or not. Let's assume it worked, and continue on.

Copy the DivXDec.ax file to your c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\ directory. There should already be a few other divx files there.

Open the Run window again, but this time enter in the following:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\DivXDec.ax"


Click the OK button. A popup should tell you it worked.

Copy the DivX version of the file back to the c:\windows\system32\ directory. Once it is there we just need to ley DirectShow know about the change, so open the Run window and enter:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\divxdec.ax


Click the OK button. A popup should tell you it worked.

If all went well, you should be done. Each version of the file is located in a different directory, and they both should be registered with DirectShow.

One last note: If you update or repair your Roxio EMC 9 files, you'll have to go through this all over again. With luck Roxio will be on the ball and you shouldn't have to worry about it for long. I changed the DivX version of the file to Read Only, but I don't know if that will be enough to stop it from being replaced by Roxio.

Please let me know if you find any mistakes or have any problems.
M.

Is there a simple test for non-computer savvy people to determine if such problem exist in their system? -- After rereading it, I understood what is to be done.

Edited by malatekid, 30 August 2006 - 09:07 PM.

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin


Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#5 ggrussell

ggrussell

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

Have you installed DivX 6.2 and use this codec?  Then yes.  EMC9 includes 6.1.  Personally, I don't use DivX, but have it on my machine for testing purposes only.
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#6 MTolman

MTolman

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:26 PM

If you need to have both the latest verions of the DivX codec and EMC 9 on the same machine, then you will have to follow the steps in the HowTo so the two filters are in different directories and DirectShow knows about them both.

I suspect that only a small number of people will need to bother with this, but since I had to figure it out on my own, I thought I might save the next person a few hours of work and post the answer here.  I doubt most people would even notice they were running 6.1 instead of 6.2, nor would they care.  I generate a lot of video clips, so I'm very aware of how my codecs perform.

M.

#7 tbrewst

tbrewst

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,125 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Taos,NM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

Great job M.I'm sure this is gonna help more than 1 person.
RIP Johnny Winter


Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#8 malatekid

malatekid

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,664 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:46 AM

View Postggrussell, on Aug 31 2006, 01:05 AM, said:

Have you installed DivX 6.2 and use this codec? Then yes. EMC9 includes 6.1. Personally, I don't use DivX, but have it on my machine for testing purposes only.

When doing the step of copying the file from system32 to Roxio DivX directory, I inadvertently copied a lot of files from system 32 (way too fast hitting the Return key prior to typing the actual filename to be copied).

Can someone please verify that the only files in the Roxio DivX shared directory are the following five files:

ReSync.ax
DMFCreate.ax
DivXMux.ax
DivXEnc.ax
DivX.dll
and the copied file DivXDec.ax

Thank you.

Jess
"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin


Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#9 tbrewst

tbrewst

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,125 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Taos,NM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:09 AM

Jess,I have those files only,with the exception of DivXDec.ax.
RIP Johnny Winter


Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#10 malatekid

malatekid

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,664 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:15 AM

View Posttbrewst, on Sep 2 2006, 01:09 PM, said:

Jess,I have those files only,with the exception of DivXDec.ax.

Terry,

Thank you for confirming; saves me from Repair or reinstall of EMC9.

Jess
"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin


Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#11 tbrewst

tbrewst

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,125 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Taos,NM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:19 AM

You're welcome.Any time I can help.
RIP Johnny Winter


Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#12 KEVIN F

KEVIN F

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:41 AM

K I'm confused... especially on the last step where it says "Copy the DivX version of the file back to the c:\windows\system32\ directory. Once it is there we just need to ley DirectShow know about the change, so open the Run window and enter: regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\divxdec.ax"

Which one is that??? The one in the divx/9.0 folder, or the one we were supposed to put on our desktop? Mind you, by accident I followed the instructions (successfully) under "EMC9" because I thought it was for people who had EMC9 like I do... but the file is in lowercase, so it looks like I was supposed to follow the latter....but, when I clicked on "change" and then "install"...it go to "copying files" and then I got this error:

See Below (PS: I purchased and downloaded from the ROXIO website)
Posted Image

Mind you, I skipped that and just tried to follow the steps after that, not sure if the last file I copied back was right...I copied it from the /9.0 folder to the system32....NOT from my desktop to the /system32.

Anyway, still no luck...XVid won't import... I don't get why NERO would and ROXIO can't....
PS: I don't have NERO on my computer, I was just fed up with other errors... if I can import files I'm fine burning....just need to get this sorted out. Please.

#13 Beerman

Beerman

    Digital Beer Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • -7,139 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just outside the Big Easy

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:08 PM

If I understand your question correctly, the one you're supposed to put back is the file with the lower case 'd'. If you need these files, both lower and upper case versions, I'd be glad to email them to you.  I have both just in case I run into this problem again. Just send me a private message with your email.
Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#14 Brendon

Brendon

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • -8,382,158 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Christchurch, N.Z.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:29 AM

Something you ought to know (until Sonic puts their DivX decoder elsewhere) is that using Add/Remove to uninstall EMC9, the uninstaller will destroy the decoder living in the System32 folder. This will disable the regular DivX programs.

The uninstaller is currently hardwired to delete the divxdec.ax in \Windows\System32, regardless of where their own decoder has been re-registered to.

Until Sonic code their uninstaller to remove only their own decoder, you will need to reinstall DivX 6.25 after you uninstall EMC9.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#15 jeanrosenfeld

jeanrosenfeld

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

I unregistered DivXDec.ax in \system32, moved it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX, registered it there. Installed DivX 6.25 codecs and saw that divxdec.ax was in system32 folder.

After that, I found Videowave would not open divx files. GSpot and WMP had no problems rendering/playing the same files.

I uninstalled Divx, unregistered/moved back and reregistered DivXDec.ax and then Videowave had no problems (and neither had Gspot or WMP).

On my system, at any rate, Videowave seems to want its DivXDec.ax in \System32 folder, which apparently precludes my having both codecs installed at the same time.

UPDATE 4 October:
After again unregistering DivXDec.ax in \system32, moving it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX, registering it there, I found one place in the registry, at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\FFE4C516B47ACD044980517CD9521DD0

where the path to DivXDec.ax was still pointing to \system32. I changed that to point to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\ folder, and then Videowave was happy. So I installed the DivX codecs (v 6.4 has just come out) and WMP uses that one. So now all is well.:-)

Edited by jeanrosenfeld, 03 October 2006 - 03:31 PM.

Dell XPS630i. Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 650i SLI. CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz. RAM: 3 GB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM). Hard drives: 2x WD25 00AAJS-75VWA 250GB SATA. Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB. Audio: Audigy 2 (Dell OEM). DVD RW drives: Liteon iHAS234, HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N. All drivers and firmware up to date.
XP Pro SP3 , IE 8, WMP 11, all updates. Creator 2011 Pro.

#16 Bob Simoneau

Bob Simoneau

    Novice

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:34 AM

View Postjeanrosenfeld, on Sep 29 2006, 04:20 PM, said:

I unregistered DivXDec.ax in \system32, moved it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX, registered it there. Installed DivX 6.25 codecs and saw that divxdec.ax was in system32 folder.

After that, I found Videowave would not open divx files. GSpot and WMP had no problems rendering/playing the same files.

I uninstalled Divx, unregistered/moved back and reregistered DivXDec.ax and then Videowave had no problems (and neither had Gspot or WMP).

On my system, at any rate, Videowave seems to want its DivXDec.ax in \System32 folder, which apparently precludes my having both codecs installed at the same time.

UPDATE 4 October:
After again unregistering DivXDec.ax in \system32, moving it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX, registering it there, I found one place in the registry, at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\FFE4C516B47ACD044980517CD9521DD0

where the path to DivXDec.ax was still pointing to \system32. I changed that to point to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\ folder, and then Videowave was happy. So I installed the DivX codecs (v 6.4 has just come out) and WMP uses that one. So now all is well.:-)

I it a shame I got this fix to late.  I am on the road for the next couple weeks.  Of course the originals disks are at home, so no access to DivXDec.ax.  I reinstalled Divx 6.4 after noticing WinDVD working play Divx, so I have divxdec.ax.  I wish Roxio would made DivXDec.ax available so as not to have to repair/reinstall EMC 9.
bobsimoneau
USMC Retired

Computer : HP Pavilion Elite m9340f

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Core 2 Quad Q6700 (K) 2.66 GHz
Asus Motherboard Name: IPIBL-LB
6 GB of PC2-6400 MB/sec 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM
750 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) - 7200 rpm
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
GBC-H20LI - LG - 16x Internal Blu-ray Disc/Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive
GeForce 9600 GT - 512 MB GDDR2 memory
Realtek ALC 888S chipset - Supports up to 8 audio channels
Integrated 10/100/1000 Base-T networking interface
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n

#17 sailani47

sailani47

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

Hi. I am new to the group, having recently bought & installed EMC9. Eversince installing it, I am trying to make it work with Divx AVI files without any success. I can play Divx files using WMP as well as EMC's Media Experience. But Videowave or MyDVD cannot open the Divx files. I have followed the discussion in this forum on the subject and have tried using the procedure in MTolman's post to locate and register DivXDec.ax in the proper directory.

Failing that, I also tried jeanrosenfeld's suggestion of changing the registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\FFE4C516B47ACD044980517CD9521DD0 to point to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\ folder. Still no luck.

Would very much apprecite some help.

I do not mind using somewhat dated Divx codec in EMC so long as it works. The situation right now is that I have:

- DivXDec.ax  at Windows\system32 directory
- DivXDec.ax at :\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DivX\ folder
- DivXDec.ax registered for both locations in the registry.

The environment is:
Windows XP - SP2
Pent 4, 3.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users