Sign in to follow this  
jbcooke

Can't Get It To Work; Split From A Hijacked Thread.

Question

I have a similar / related problem: Bought Music Lab 10 Premiere 9/6/12 from Roxio online, before Roxio was bought by Corel. Registered it, got confirmation email, but no support code. Maybe they were not sent at this time. I've had nothing but trouble with ML 10 Premiere since I bought it -- MUCH slower than ML 9 Premiere, burns fail, copy operations fail. Today -- downloaded ML 10 Premiere UPDATE, but it won't install because form won't accept my (correct!) product key, received in conf. email with purchase of ML 10 Premiere in Sept. '12.

jbcooke

14 answers to this question

I have a similar / related problem: Bought Music Lab 10 Premiere 9/6/12 from Roxio online, before Roxio was bought by Corel. Registered it, got confirmation email, but no support code. Maybe they were not sent at this time. I've had nothing but trouble with ML 10 Premiere since I bought it -- MUCH slower than ML 9 Premiere, burns fail, copy operations fail. Today -- downloaded ML 10 Premiere UPDATE, but it won't install because form won't accept my (correct!) product key, received in conf. email with purchase of ML 10 Premiere in Sept. '12.

jbcooke

You are well beyond any free support that you may have been entitled to. If you need Roxio support now, you have to pay for it. Give us some more information and we can try to help. As you know, we are not support but just a bunch of users who might be able to help. Start with telling us about your computer (dxdiag.exe). and tell us exactly what is happening.

In general, did you do these things (link) before installing the program -- especially shutting off your antivirus?

Are these the updates you are trying to make? Did you read this?

<snip>

I have a similar / related problem: Bought Music Lab 10 Premiere 9/6/12 from Roxio online, before Roxio was bought by Corel.

jbcooke

Corel bought out Roxio in February 2012.

Thanks Digital Guru -- My computer is a Dell Latitude 510D, Pentium M740 chip, 1 GB RAM, 40+ GB free on the 80GB hard drive, running Windows XP Home.

Yes, the update I am trying to install is the one shown in the link you provided, the latest version of Music Lab 10 Premiere. I have downloaded the *.exe file, but when I try to run the update, it refuses the product key I am entering. I'm copying the key # from the Roxio email confirming my purchase, so there's no doubt about the key number.

When I bought ML 10 Premiere, I also paid for Extended Download Service, good for two years. Theoretically, instead of trying to update the version of ML10 in my Latitude, I could simply download the latest version from Roxio, IF it will accept my key code.

Before I try this, however, I will tell you that it's possible I didn't turn off my antivirus / firewall software when I installed ML 10 P. I have printed out the page "Preparing your computer for installing Roxio products," and should run through the checklist before I try any further installation.

Question: Shall I uninstall the present ML 10 P before I try to download and install the current version?

jbcooke

You can try to do a repair if you get that option. If not, yes, I would uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate Mode only.

Just a comment: I asked for information on your computer via dxdiag.exe and provided a link to the procedure. Did you miss that or were you not that interested?

I replied a couple of hours ago, but don't see that post.

I ran the dxdiag.exe diagnostic on my Latitude. Results file attached.

I've updated the video card, in progress running down list of other updates to install before I try uninstalling ML 10 Premiere and downloading the latest version.

I would normally uninstall using Add/Remove programs. I don't understand uninstall procedure you recommended.

jbcooke

DxDiag-21May13.txt

After updating video and audio card drivers, I uninstalled the old Music Lab 10 Premiere and used my Extended Download Service to download the program again from Roxio. Before installing, I turned off Norton Internet Security's anti-virus protection. Reinstalled ML 10 Premiere, rebooted, and tested by copying a music CD that had failed to copy before. CD copied OK. Definite improvement in ML 10 Premiere's performance. (Very likely that my recent problems with ML 10 Premiere resulted from not turning off anti-virus software during program install.) PROBLEM SOLVED.

Only remaining problem -- new download is exactly the same version of ML 10 Premiere that I bought in Sept. 2012, not the most recent version, and I still can't update it because on starting installation, the update won't accept my Product Key (which Extended Download Service *did* accept).

Is it possible that Roxio limits free updates to 6 months? (I bought ML 10 P 8 months ago.)

jbcooke

Only remaining problem -- new download is exactly the same version of ML 10 Premiere that I bought in Sept. 2012, not the most recent version, and I still can't update it because on starting installation, the update won't accept my Product Key (which Extended Download Service *did* accept).

Is it possible that Roxio limits free updates to 6 months? (I bought ML 10 P 8 months ago.)

When you buy an extended download service, all you get is an extended period during which you can download the software you bought.

This does not mean you can download the latest version of the software, only what you originally bought.

Free updates [when updates are issued] stay available for at least a couple of years until the software is taken off the servers.

Save a copy of whatever you downloaded into a safe form/place because you might need it again after the download period expires.

What build of Music Lab 10 Premiere are you running? [Open the application and go to Help -> About... to see]

Steve Knis asked you in post #2 which update you were trying to use. You still haven't answered that.

Are you trying to use the 16MB Service Pack 1 for the Windows 7 version, or the 259 MB update build 112B11a ?

Brendon

Sorry, busy few days.

On May 19, Brendon sent a message with several links, one re the update I was trying to install:

"_Are these the updates_ you're trying to make?"

I replied "Yes" on May 20. The link is to a Roxio page with the Build 112B11a, RNM; 112B11A RNP

My current build is 122B06A, RNP; 500B39A, RNP. This version continues to work okay since I reinstalled it with anti-virus off, but it is *way* slower than ML 9 Premiere. (I still have that version in my Dell desktop, but a persistent problem with non-recognition of the CD/DVD drive prevents me using it.)

I would like to update ML 10 Premiere if I could to see if performance improves, but as I say, when I try to install Build 12B11a, it refuses to accept my product key.

I appreciate any ideas about how I might successfully update.

john

Thanks John, I missed that part of your May 20 reply.

You say you're running 122B06A, but you're trying to install 112B11A. That isn't going to work.

If you really have 122B then 112B is a downgrade, but if that's a typo and you actually have 112B06A then you already have 112 installed. This is very likely if you bought it only 8 months ago.

Remember, the updates page says:

Your current copy of RecordNow may already be up-to-date. Open the application and go to Help -> About... to see if you already have this build installed before downloading.

The 112 update is one of those installers which checks for the presence of the earlier version, which must be still installed when you go to do the update. [Don't uninstall the earlier version, 112 needs to check it, and will then do the uninstall itself.]

In this situation it is usual for the earlier version to have a different type of product key which the 112 update would also test for. This would explain why the 112 update won't accept your existing 112 product key - it's looking for an earlier version product key.

I can't be 100% positive since I don't have all the secret Roxio information, but I think you already have the 112 build so you can't update further. The updater has a slightly higher sub-build number [11A compared to your 06A] but there's no way to update a sub-build and differences are miniscule.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks, Brendon. Yes, my build is 122B06A, not 112... When I went to the Roxio website, I thought the update I tried was posted later than the purchase date of my MusicLab 10 Premiere, and I didn't consider that the build number was actually lower. And this may well be why the installation *.exe file wouldn't accept my product key.

So to find a version that works faster than 10, which taked 3 to 4 times longer than MusicLab 9 to copy a CD or DVD, I'll have to look for a later version of Roxio RecordNow or software by another party.

Thanks for your help.

john

You're welcome, John.

I'm glad I could clarify that, but I'm sorry I don't have any recipe to speed up the performance of your ML10 Premiere. I don't know what's slowing it down on your machine, but I have noticed that as a number of these suites get bigger they tend to get clunkier because of the bloat. :(

Is there any reason why you shouldn't revert to ML 9 if it performs better for you than the current software? I've stayed with earlier versions of several programs I use all the time, because they still do what I need and take fewer resources than current versions.

Regards,

Brendon

John, I see that your computer is very old (in computer terms) and a single core processor. It will be slow. You probably could not do any video work with it. No matter since you are doing only audio. My suggestion is to go to the suppliers of both your video card (optional) and your audio device and update the drivers - yours are from 2005 !. OOPS: Did you update the drivers after you posted the dxdiag file?

Sometimes computer assemblers (like Dell) do not update the drivers but the manufacture of the device do update more frequently.

Sometimes computer "slowness" comes from lack of maintenance and control. When was the last time you got rid of olod programs you not longer use, got rid of junk files and did a thorough defrag of your hard drive(s)? Here are some free tools to use (link). It is also beneficial to limit the number of programs that start in the background when you boot your computer. Search Windows for the use of msconfig.exe to limit the programs that start at boot. If you are not sure what to do, there is a free program called "Soluto" that will help you with it. Yes, it is another program but it is helpful if you need to limit the number of programs that start at boot but are unsure which ones that you can safely limit.

First - I do continue to use ML 9 Premiere on my desktop, but I've had a problem for some weeks now with the DVD/CD drive. It's partially solved, but not entirely, so I've been depending on my Latitude laptop for the occasional CD copy or other disc burning job. The question of updating ML 10 relates to the laptop, where I don't have ML 9. In the Dimension 3000 desktop, I edit video almost daily, and the age of the computer is not a problem. The response of my editing program (Adobe Premier Elements) is more than adequate. This computer has a Pentium 4 chip @ 2.83 GHz, which is about as fast as most computers have today. Single processor, yes, and just 1GB of RAM, but Premier Elements doesn't demand excessive resources.

As to the question of how well my computers are maintained -- the answer is very well. I do a disk cleanup often and check the need to defragment; there aren't excess programs running on startup. With both ML 9 and ML 10 in my desktop, ML 9 performs at top speed, just a few minutes to copy an audio CD, and reasonable time to burn or copy a DVD depending on length. The issue that arises is that in the same computer ML 10 takes 3-4 times as long to do anything. Even before I bought ML 10, I read user comments online saying it was much slower than 9. I bought ML 10 when it became available as a separate program from Roxio Creator, where the issue of bloat -- too many capabilities I don't need -- apparent. But even as a program devoted primarily to audio, 10 can't hold a candle to 9. For the cause, we should look to Roxio, not to my computers.

The issue that arises is that in the same computer ML 10 takes 3-4 times as long to do anything. Even before I bought ML 10, I read user comments online saying it was much slower than 9. I bought ML 10 when it became available as a separate program from Roxio Creator, where the issue of bloat -- too many capabilities I don't need -- apparent. But even as a program devoted primarily to audio, 10 can't hold a candle to 9. For the cause, we should look to Roxio, not to my computers.

Agreed, and I didn't think it was the condition of your system. That's why I suggested staying with ML 9.

Best regards,

Brendon