Bliznik

Roxio Toast 11 Titanium Error Message In Os X 10.7.5

Question

This is a recurring problem in Roxio Toast 11 Titanium. Whenever I try to burn a DVD disc of mp4 videos I get the following error:

"Could not record the disc because you don't have the required access permissions. Result Code = -5000"

I've tried restarting. I've tried only burning an image. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I've deleted the plist and prefs files. I'm really at a loss here. What does "Result Code = -5000" mean? Is there any place where I can search for these codes to get an intelligible error message?

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Have you checked the permissions for those videos? Control-click on a video in the Finder and select Get Info.... At the bottom of the info window there are the permissions. I just checked one of my videos and it li lists my name with Read & Write and lists Everyone as Read Only. If yours doesn't, change the permissions. You'll have to click the padlock to unlock it before changes can be made.

Hi,

I am also having Permission problems with Toast 11.1.

It wont allow me to save a Toast session to my hard disc saying that I don't have the required access permissions. result code-54

Can anyone help.

Roxio and Corel seem to want to screw you for as much as they can ......pay for technical support for a product that is not fit for purpose.

Lets open Facebook and twitter!

Hi,

I am also having Permission problems with Toast 11.1.

It wont allow me to save a Toast session to my hard disc saying that I don't have the required access permissions. result code-54

Can anyone help.

Roxio and Corel seem to want to screw you for as much as they can ......pay for technical support for a product that is not fit for purpose.

Lets open Facebook and twitter!

Yours is a different error code then then original post. What kind of project are you trying to create? Is the problem happening when you choose Save... or when you choose Save as Disc Image...? Are you saving to an internal or external hard drive? My brother couldn't save to a new external hard drive and discovered the drive needed to have a driver installed in order to support writing from the Mac. I hadn't encountered that before.

• Like 1

Thanks DG,

I was burning an audio file to disc and wanted to save (on my mac 10.7.5) to my hard drive the Toast file, to repeat the process at a future date.

Thanks DG,

I was burning an audio file to disc and wanted to save (on my mac 10.7.5) to my hard drive the Toast file, to repeat the process at a future date.

So this was an audio CD project and you simply chose Save and received a permissions error. I don't know why that happened. Since you did burn the Audio CD you can insert it into the Mac, and select it with the Disc Copy setting in the Copy window. Toast will automatically switch to the Audio CD setting in the Audio window and will display the disc contents as created. Now choose Save as Disc Image and a .sd2f file will be created that has the complete contents as burned.

When you merely choose Save that only saves your settings and the items in the window are like aliases pointing to the source files. If a source file is modified or moved Toast won't automatically find it in the future. That's not an issue when you've saved as a .sd2f image file.

OK, it took me a while but I've finally figure this one out, at least for my case.

I get the same message, and this message has been reported in several threads.

The problem I had is that the permission had nothing to do with the disc, or in my case the directory to which an image was being saved. It had to do with the directory ~/Documents. by default Toast creates a directory called ~/Documents/Roxio Converted Items where it puts temporary files. If the permissions on ~/Documents are not correct, you get the error message.

In my case, ~/Documents was only writable by system, so when I ran Toast as myself, it failed.

The solution is to either 1) go to preferences and change the temporary directory to a writable place or 2) fix ~/Documents so that you have write privileges in it (i.e. use finder to add yourself as a user with r/w in that directory.

IMHO (and I've been in software for 40+ years), the error message is absolutely broken. There is no excuse for a crappy error message like that one. It should report which directory it was trying to write instead of just saying that access permission was lacking. The fix is that when the create directory function (or whatever its called in the software being used) fails, it should add the directory name to the error message. If it had done that it would have taken me 1 minute to find and fix the problem instead of an hour and a half. I bill at $200/hr, so that's $300 that Roxio owes me.

For those who need it, to change the permissions on ~/Documents using finder:

1) select your home folder

2) select Documents

3) type command-i

4) A Documents info window should appear, if not, recheck the first 3 steps.

5) if the lock in the lower right corner is locked, click on it. you will be prompted for the admin password. If you don't have the admin password, stop and get help. Otherwise enter the password.

6) In the Sharing and Permissions box, look for your user name.

if it isn't there, click + and add it.

7) select your user name.

8) using the up/down arrows set yoru privilege to Read & Write.

9) reclick the lock.

Toast should work now -- assuming that was your problem.

• Like 1

If you get permission errors, then it may not be obvious at which location the error originates, i.e. which file and/or folder to fix.

(The "Result Code = -5000" from the first message is listed as afpAccessDenied, which seems to point to a networked (afp) device, e.g. a local file server.)

The easiest may be to move source file(s) to the desktop and save output to the desktop. This prevents some possible errors in permissions and folder naming.

It has some drawbacks (file icon previews [images and videos] eat memory; de-organize from original intention; extra file copying), but it can save you when you just want to get things done.

but no servers are involved, its just dragging and dropping a few mp3s into toast, and burning it... so not sure why it wouldnt work.