Sign in to follow this  
ArtDesign

2 Formats On One Disk - Is This Possible?

Question

Mac OS Lion and I am running Toast 8.

I make video/slide shows that are made in a program called Fotomagico, I am able to save the original Fotomagico.fms as a 'Standalone.app' file which means it can run on any Intel Mac in super quality without having to have the program installed. I also have to supply it as a DVD format (.mov file) suitable for playing on any DVD player which will then play on TVs, the quality is much reduced as is expected.

At the moment I have to supply 2 disks, it would be great if I could put both formats on one disk so that the client's have the choice on a single disk, is this possible?

7 answers to this question

Yes, it is possible. It's referred to as adding data content or adding DVD-Rom content (I'm not sure of the exact term in Toast 8. You should see that option in the Toast Video window when DVD-video is selected as the format. Check that box and go to the Toast Data window and select DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format. Click New Disc and give it the same name as you're naming the disc in the video window. Add you Fotomagico standalone file. Return to the Video window and burn your disc.

You also can just make a DVD-video disc or disc image and drag the enclosed VIDEO_TS folder along with the standalone file to the Data window with DVD-Rom (UDF) selected as the format. In fact, this is what you need to do if you want to make a copy of a burned disc with both data content and a VIDEO_TS folder as Toast typically excludes the data content when using the Copy window when a VIDEO_TS folder is present.

Eugene - I have run into problem. The DVDTV Player element runs fine but the standalone file FM.SA STA Schooner 1985-90_8.6.13.app does not, this may be a Fotomagico problem and I have contacted their support people - see blue text below - though cannot see how to directly attach screen-shot image to this forum.

The FM.SA STA Schooner 1985-90_8.6.13.app file that was saved from the original FM STA Schooner 1985-90_8.6.13.fms file which sits on my computer hard drive and runs successfully. However, when I put it on a 'shared' DVD I have problems.

I have attached a screen-shot that will tell you what I wanted and what warning window my system threw up when trying to run FM.SA STA Schooner 1985-90_8.6.13.app from a DVD disk. Plus the warning window when I also tried to copy it to my desktop - same computer as the file was originated from

My enquiry is that perhaps the DVD-Rom (UDF) selected on the DATA window is not the right one for the FM STA schooner 1985-1990_8.6.13.app - what do you think?

It doesn't matter if the format is DVD-Rom (UDF). That isn't the problem. I need to do some checking. What I'm thinking is you need to export (render) the video from Fotomagico as a full quality h.264 video rather than using Fotomagico's standalone player. I have Fotomagico and will take a look at it. The folks at Boinx are pretty good with info, too, so you can check their site for the best way to share a project on disc at full quality.

I found this article on Boinx's site. Also, the Standalone player requires a Mac running OS 10.6 or later and a fast enough graphics card to run Fotomagico. So it doesn't work with PCs and older or slower Macs.

Edited by tsantee

Boinx are trying, but their answers are pretty basic. I tried exporting to Quicktime HD and the quality is not bad (not as good as standalone) but the transitional zooming has a marked stuttering. Also, it adds 200mb to a 350mb original FMS file making it 550mb, this is too close to the capacity of a DVD, which is my clients preferred media.

Boinx are trying, but their answers are pretty basic. I tried exporting to Quicktime HD and the quality is not bad (not as good as standalone) but the transitional zooming has a marked stuttering. Also, it adds 200mb to a 350mb original FMS file making it 550mb, this is too close to the capacity of a DVD, which is my clients preferred media.

I found the stuttering to be related to the quality of my Mac's graphics card. See if reducing the viewing size resolves the stuttering.

I'm presuming you're using Fotomagico 4. If you choose Apple TV instead of QuickTime you still get a full-resolution HD video but at a smaller file size. In fact, you might consider the Apple TV 720P setting instead of the 1080P setting because the file size is even smaller (it indicates it will be about half the file size of the 1280x720 Quicktime export setting).

OK I will try that, Boinx have replied after much correspondence that they cannot get any better quality (i.e. no zoom transition stutter in h.264) than I have achieved and that they hope to do better with future upgrades. They say Standalone.app is the only way at present to maintain all the elements as intended, pity it will only work on Lion upwards as a lot of my clients have Leopard and Snow Leopard and some are PC.