blueyz1975

Merge Track Feature, Still Available On Newer Software?

About 10-11 years ago I was using cd creator 5 on an XP computer. There was a DJ compilation company that on certain CD's would split a track into 2 on the disc. I used Roxio to merge the tracks into one when I made backups. I don't have my backups anymore (wish I did) and i'm looking to do the same while converting them to mp3. Please point me in the right direction.

Sound editor can merge tracks and Rip and Advanced Rip can rip audio CD's to these formats.

I'm not sure what you want to do, just state what you want to do without the extras what you used to do?

post-97-0-37094300-1372118536_thumb.jpg

I suspect the OP is looking for the option to overlap tracks within Music Disc Creator which was an option when creating Audio CDs in ECDC 5. You could specify an overlap time, and what sort of fading you wanted. (Both tracks fading, the prior track fading out with the new track starting at full volume...) And I didn't have to time to refresh my memory and look last night.

Replying to cdan's post. When I chose the songs on a CD to put on the blank disc, it would let me highlight tracks on the tracks I selected to burn. I believe I right clicked and selected "merge tracks". When I played the copied disc instead of having 2 tracks on the disc like the original it was recorded as a single track without adding a fader or having dead air between the 2. This is the feature i'm looking for on roxio's new software (whichever one has it).

Ah, yes, I remember that now. Merging, not, cross-fading. However, I also recall that if a track had silence at the end of it, merging it with another track did not eliminate that silence.

So, let me pose a question, would it matter if they remained as separate tracks so long as there wasn't any silent gap between them when the CD is played?

One option that ECDC 5 had, which is no longer available, was writing in track-at-once mode, which introduced a two second gap between tracks. The alternative, and the only way that Music Disc Creator in Creator 12 Pro writes audio CDs, is Disc-At-Once mode, which doesn't put any gap between tracks.

Yes I had it in track at once mode, I do recall that. But I never had dead space when it played the double tracks. Then again DJ cd players are much more advanced versus home models...However I am no longer using CD's when DJing, as I converted to MP3's now. What I want to do is first merge the tracks together as one track, then convert it to mp3. Thankfully I don't have many CD's that I need to do this with.

Obviously, if you merge the tracks into one, then it wouldn't matter if you were in track-at-once mode, because you were only writing one track.

The workflow you're proposing, is to take your songs, merge them into a single track onto a CD, then rip that track to an MP3 file, which seems like a fair bit of extra effort (writing to CD, then ripping). You're also saying that you're putting together a group of songs that you always want to play together, in that order, without any flexibility? Good if you're just doing an unattended playlist job, I suppose.

So, as CD proposed, I would think you would instead add your tracks (ripped from CD, or existing .MP3 files on your HD) into Sound Editor, (you can overlap/fade them if desired, or just butt them up to each other, and trim any silence) then export that as a single clip to an MP3 file and be done. That can certainly be done with the current version of Sound Editor.

Does that help?