Mischa Armin

Do any portable dvd players play mpg or avi files as data files (rather than authored dvds)?

Question

Hi,

My current portable dvd player (Samsung L-70) won't recognize video files unless I "build" a dvd. Whereas, it has no problem playing mp3s or viewing image files that I've burned as a data disc. Any mpgs / avis also on that disc don't appear in the portable dvd directory.

Can anyone recommend a portable dvd player that plays video files just as data files?

Thanks,

Mischa

7 answers to this question

Hi,

My current portable dvd player (Samsung L-70) won't recognize video files unless I "build" a dvd. Whereas, it has no problem playing mp3s or viewing image files that I've burned as a data disc. Any mpgs / avis also on that disc don't appear in the portable dvd directory.

Can anyone recommend a portable dvd player that plays video files just as data files?

Thanks,

Mischa

As far as I know there are no stand-alone DVD players that are able to play mpg or avi files. Some players are able to play video files that are in the Divx format

Edited by myguggi

My desk-top Philips DVP640K plays AVIs, MPGs, and VOBs on a data CD or data DVD.

It's not a portable, though.

I guess Mischa needs to get a Philips DVP640K player huh ? But if she's looking for a portable that's another story. I didn't know that there were players that would play all that stuff Brendon. Most of my players can of course play DVD's and jpeg's but not data cd's.

Frank....

My desk-top Philips DVP640K plays AVIs, MPGs, and VOBs on a data CD or data DVD.

It's not a portable, though.

Does it play "standard avis" and mpgs such as captured using EMC or does everything have to be converted to Divx and mpeg4?

Does it play "standard avis" and mpgs such as captured using EMC or does everything have to be converted to Divx and mpeg4?

Yes it seems to, Walt.

I don't have a video camera I can "capture" from, but the player handles all the varieties of MPEG I've thrown at it, and all the AVIs. It will also play files with a .divx extension. It plays CDs, DVD Audio, and MP3 or WAV files, and it will automatically slideshow any MPGs it finds.

If you make a directory called video_ts and put a set of VOBs and IFOs in there, the player will play them as if it's a normal DVD, notwithstanding the fact that you might have a GB or two of other files stored on the disc. (If your VOBs are in a different directory you have to pick and play them manually just like other video files, because the player only reads IFOs in the video_ts directory).

It doesn't like Windows Media files (because Philips would have to pay licence fees for them) and it has a screensize limit on files it will play, but apart from that it's very versatile. I think there are later models out now, also.

A portable is what I'm looking for, yes, to take on my daily commute into work. I've done the Google search noted earlier, and found that most current portable players that make any claim of reading mpg or avi files as data discs receive mixed reviews. Hence my post to this board. I'll take a look on hardware enthusiasts boards and see what I find.

Regards,

Mischa