• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimbob bingo

jimbob bingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

I've had a MY DVD VIDEO LAB for several years and have converted several hundred old video tapes to dvd. Now I want to try something new and I'm stuck. I'm importing a piece of video, 90 minutes long and I want to edit it to seven tracks, in a different order than now, and cut it to about 70 minutes. I know exactly what I want to do. I just don't know how to do it. I've gone to the Edit Video Advanced and have no idea how to proceed. Would somebody please give me step by step instructions. Thank you so much.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

I've had a MY DVD VIDEO LAB for several years and have converted several hundred old video tapes to dvd. Now I want to try something new and I'm stuck. I'm importing a piece of video, 90 minutes long and I want to edit it to seven tracks, in a different order than now, and cut it to about 70 minutes. I know exactly what I want to do. I just don't know how to do it. I've gone to the Edit Video Advanced and have no idea how to proceed. Would somebody please give me step by step instructions. Thank you so much.

You have a cut down version of the software so this may not work for you. YouTube video (silent so you have to read the instructions).

Once you have the video separated save it, and reopen it. Copy a section CTRL-C), open an new project and paste it into the timeline (CTRL-V). save that with a name you will remember. Open the original project and copy another section - repeat with a new name so you end up with 7 separate video projects. You can then add them all to MyDVD with your chosen menu.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#3 jimbob bingo

jimbob bingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thank you, Mr. Guru...........I think I need more help. Referring to the You tube video. I attempted to separate the segments I want to make into tracks. First cut was OK. I attempted to make a second cut, to --in effect -- isolate this track- to- be.. It would not allow it. Track one would end at 14 minutes in to the show. Four minutes will be eliminated and track 2 begins at 18 minutes in. So, I made the separation at 14. I went ahead to make another cut at 18. It wouldn't allow it. So, then I went ahead to the end of track two to be, which is at almost 22. Wouldn't allow it...............It kept saying......"System will not allow cut here because the result is too small.".....................You said at the outset that I have a poor version of the software. Is that the reason? I wonder ......I'm contemplating getting a new computer in the next few months.....Do I get an Apple, with the editing equipment built in? Or, what do you think I should do? Or, did I just do this wrong???

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Thank you, Mr. Guru...........I think I need more help. Referring to the You tube video. I attempted to separate the segments I want to make into tracks. First cut was OK. I attempted to make a second cut, to --in effect -- isolate this track- to- be.. It would not allow it. Track one would end at 14 minutes in to the show. Four minutes will be eliminated and track 2 begins at 18 minutes in. So, I made the separation at 14. I went ahead to make another cut at 18. It wouldn't allow it. So, then I went ahead to the end of track two to be, which is at almost 22. Wouldn't allow it...............It kept saying......"System will not allow cut here because the result is too small.".....................You said at the outset that I have a poor version of the software. Is that the reason? I wonder ......I'm contemplating getting a new computer in the next few months.....Do I get an Apple, with the editing equipment built in? Or, what do you think I should do? Or, did I just do this wrong???

I would think you are doing something wrong

Did you select the segment in which you want to make the split before making the split? Just moving the cursor to a new location and then selecting split does not work and will give you the message you are seeing

Buying a computer with so called build-in editing usually means that you are getting a cut-down version of the full editing program

Edited by myguggi, 30 July 2013 - 03:14 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#5 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

Yes, Walt, as you stated making sure that you select the segment you want to work with is the key.

jimbob, once you make the first cut, click on the rest of the video, once it is highlighted, you can split that section. You would end up with 3 segments. The one with the original cu to 14 minutes, a second that would have the 4 minutes you want to eliminate and the rest. You can delete the 14 to 18 minute one (the rest will close up). Click on the 0-14 minute section and copy that to a new project. Repeat as needed.

Remember you are NOT changing the original video unless you overwrite it by saving under the same name as the original video. Since I am suggesting that you save the project only, that should not be an issue The projects can be used in MyDVD to burn your disc.

split.jpg

Edited by sknis, 31 July 2013 - 04:49 AM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users