Roxio Community

Error 1706. No Source For Doa.msi. Installer Quits.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nukecity_001

nukecity_001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

On a brand new PC running Windows MCE 2005, I tried to install Creator 8. After the CD installation is complete and upon reboot, once I start Creator 8 i get the following: "Error 1706. No valid source could be found for the product DAO. The Windows installer cannot continue." Another window pops up asking for the source location of dao.msi. I have searched my hard drive and the CD for this file and cannot find it.  :)

Note: The title states Doa.msi. It should be Dao.msi.

It seems there's a problem with ATI's DAO / MDAC installer and Roxio. If you remove the DAO application from Windows (Control Panel / Add Remove Programs...), this problem will go away. But, you won't be able to use the Library feature of ATI's Multimedia Center application. :huh:

Edited by nukecity_001, 15 January 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#2 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,448 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

View Postnukecity_001, on Jan 15 2006, 08:59 PM, said:

On a brand new PC running Windows MCE 2005, I tried to install Creator 8. After the CD installation is complete and upon reboot, once I start Creator 8 i get the following: "Error 1706. No valid source could be found for the product DAO. The Windows installer cannot continue." Another window pops up asking for the source location of dao.msi. I have searched my hard drive and the CD for this file and cannot find it.  :)

Type in DAO in the Search box, and you will get lots of hits and a solution.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#3 nukecity_001

nukecity_001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

View Postgrandpabruce, on Jan 15 2006, 07:30 PM, said:

Type in DAO in the Search box, and you will get lots of hits and a solution.
Thanks. It seems removing DAO also upsets ATI's TrueVector program. At least, it gave me a windows error after the uninstall. I did the Search as you suggested. The solution for me was to download the DAO / MDAC update from ATI's website, then run the install to create the /ATI/Support directory. Then, I reran the install program in the /Support directory (which UNINSTALLED the DAO program) and noted the directory where the program put the dao.msi file (for me, it was Documents and Settings / Jim / Local Settings / Temp / _is1A7. I copied the files to a different directory, then reran the DAO / MDAC to install DAO, then copied the dao.msi files to the folder Creator is looking for when I get the error message. Whew. There may be an easier way, but this worked.

Also, I noted that when I installed MS Office, it said I had an earlier version of Access and recommended I delete it and update it with the latest version. I did not have any Office applications, so I think this too is related to ATI's DAO.msi file screwup.

#4 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,448 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:43 AM

View Postnukecity_001, on Jan 15 2006, 11:36 PM, said:

Thanks. It seems removing DAO also upsets ATI's TrueVector program. At least, it gave me a windows error after the uninstall. I did the Search as you suggested. The solution for me was to download the DAO / MDAC update from ATI's website, then run the install to create the /ATI/Support directory. Then, I reran the install program in the /Support directory (which UNINSTALLED the DAO program) and noted the directory where the program put the dao.msi file (for me, it was Documents and Settings / Jim / Local Settings / Temp / _is1A7. I copied the files to a different directory, then reran the DAO / MDAC to install DAO, then copied the dao.msi files to the folder Creator is looking for when I get the error message. Whew. There may be an easier way, but this worked.

Also, I noted that when I installed MS Office, it said I had an earlier version of Access and recommended I delete it and update it with the latest version. I did not have any Office applications, so I think this too is related to ATI's DAO.msi file screwup.

Thanks for posting your resolution.  It will help many folks who have the same problem.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#5 rfbecker

rfbecker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:48 PM

I had the same problem with DAO. I ran the system file checker (in a console window, type, 'SFC /SCANNOW' without the quotes), and it overwrote the offending DAO files and Easy Media Creator 8 works fine now.

Roger Becker

#6 cerenis

cerenis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

I've tried all of the above for this, and the MDAC installers either refuse to create or install the file onto my system.  I have no trouble in finding dao360.dll, but even when using the Search function to locate dao.msi, it has nothing but trouble... I do, however, find a "Type Library" file called DAO2535.tlb.  I am using Windows XP SP2 on an Alienware system.

Now I was forced to upgrade to EMC8 because I had a problem with EMC7; where the Dragon Engine couldn't initialise and your help articles on the problem couldn't fix the error.

Could this be an incopatability problem with Alienware machines, or am I missing something?

Edited by cerenis, 10 February 2006 - 04:40 PM.

#7 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,448 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

View Postcerenis, on Feb 10 2006, 06:33 PM, said:

I've tried all of the above for this, and the MDAC installers either refuse to create or install the file onto my system.  I have no trouble in finding dao360.dll, but even when using the Search function to locate dao.msi, it has nothing but trouble... I do, however, find a "Type Library" file called DAO2535.tlb.  I am using Windows XP SP2 on an Alienware system.

Now I was forced to upgrade to EMC8 because I had a problem with EMC7; where the Dragon Engine couldn't initialise and your help articles on the problem couldn't fix the error.

Could this be an incopatability problem with Alienware machines, or am I missing something?

First, this is a users forum, not Roxio tech support, so you are not talking to them.  If you want to talk to the, click on one of the links to the left.

If you could not get version 7 working, then I doubt seriously that version 8 will work until you find what the conflict on your computer is.  I doubt that it is because it is an alienware machine.

The Dragon Engine problem you had with version 7 should have been easily fixed by the installation of the latest version of Napster.  Most folks who had that problem installed Napster, found it fixed the problem, and if they wanted to, they could then uninstall Napster, and Version 7 still worked.

Edited by grandpabruce, 10 February 2006 - 07:11 PM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#8 frankcolella

frankcolella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:40 AM

View Postnukecity_001, on Jan 15 2006, 06:59 PM, said:

Note: The title states Doa.msi. It should be Dao.msi.

It seems there's a problem with ATI's DAO / MDAC installer and Roxio. If you remove the DAO application from Windows (Control Panel / Add Remove Programs...), this problem will go away. But, you won't be able to use the Library feature of ATI's Multimedia Center application. :huh:
:D - Unregister it by typing this at the START/RUN command line:
to unregister copy and paste>  regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"
- then Register it: regsvr32 "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

resolved this issue on most of my clients machines using ATI Products

#9 temporary23

temporary23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:00 PM

Hey guys just wanted to let you know how I fixed this error on my computer with Scan.msi on Napster.

If you have a CD in the CD tray, take it out, problem solved.

Sometimes things are too simple.

Let me know if it works.

#10 altanoa

altanoa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

View Postrfbecker, on Feb 7 2006, 09:48 PM, said:

I had the same problem with DAO. I ran the system file checker (in a console window, type, 'SFC /SCANNOW' without the quotes), and it overwrote the offending DAO files and Easy Media Creator 8 works fine now.

Roger Becker

Roger,

Thanks and I thought it might work for me when I tried your system file checker (SFC /SCANNOW).  However at the end it ask me for my original Microsoft Windows Media disk which I don't have because my computer did not come with any disks.  Everything is on the hard drive and it would not give me the option of searching on my hard drive???  I tried the two backup disks that it had me make but they would not work.  So I am still at start with this stupid problems but thank you very much for the great advice.

Tony
Altanoa@aol.com

#11 David Mays

David Mays

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (frankcolella @ Feb 16 2006, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ninja.gif - Unregister it by typing this at the START/RUN command line:
to unregister copy and paste>  regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"
- then Register it: regsvr32 "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

biggrin.gif Thanks for your clear and accurate input.  This worked for me!

#12 seanmagoo

seanmagoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:29 AM

[quote name='frankcolella' date='Feb 16 2006, 07:40 AM' post='11622']
ninja.gif - Unregister it by typing this at the START/RUN command line:

FRANKCOLELLA ROCKS!

Thanks Frankcoella your trick worked for me!  After wrestling with that #$^@ error for 2 days it was nice.  I need to study some cmd prompt.
Windows xp pro sp2
All in Wonder 2006 pci E-Edition
Running 9.12 ati multi-media center
The Radeon x 1300 series 1
Intel Pentium cpu 2.66
1 gig of ram
P5ld2vm –asus motherboard
I use adobe premiere pro and cs3
I re-installed Roxio and before re-start ran the replacement and have restarted twice. No more annoying DAO error that returns like a trick candle! The DAO that ATI needs is still in place in the add remove!
Thanks!

#13 rdawson

rdawson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

I had the same situation after installing creator 8. I'm getting the error 1706. After doing further research from google, I found out a few reasons why this error occur. The CD/DVD installer is probably having trouble reading the disk and needs to be cleaned. Or sometimes it could mean more serious things such as problems in the Registry.

Other than that, error 1706 also happens if an important file needed by the application has been deleted or overwrote after installing a different program. This guide on error 1706 helped me find my way out of the problem.

#14 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:10 AM

You do realise of course you have posted to a thread which has been moribund for over three YEARS?? :lol:
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users