• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

csmith0916

Source Gb Vs Used Gb When Creating A Dvd.

Question

I just downloaded Video Lab HD last night and when I add movies to my project, the MBs used are a lot bigger than the actual file source. Is this due to whatever conversion is going on? My source is MP4 and the total is less than 4 GB when I view it in my folder. Even if I put the setting on the Extended Play (EP) it will say that I have used over 6 GB as opposed to the <4 GB that it should be.

Is the software up-converting the source to a better resolution?

Sorry if this is a simple one but I am new to the world of authoring DVDs.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

I just downloaded Video Lab HD last night and when I add movies to my project, the MBs used are a lot bigger than the actual file source. Is this due to whatever conversion is going on? My source is MP4 and the total is less than 4 GB when I view it in my folder. Even if I put the setting on the Extended Play (EP) it will say that I have used over 6 GB as opposed to the <4 GB that it should be.

Is the software up-converting the source to a better resolution?

Sorry if this is a simple one but I am new to the world of authoring DVDs.

Thanks!

File size is almost meaningless when working with video because of the different methods (formats) used to compress/decompress a video.

The important parameter is time: a standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at the best quality setting. Any longer and the video has to be compressed to fit on a DVD with the result that you lose quality.

So how long is the video your are trying to put on a DVD? Keep in mind that your program is "cut-down" version of a full program suite and may well have several features disabled or removed.

That helps. The total amount of time is a little over 2 hours. I have many clips that I was looking to back up into a playable DVD. I will work with it and get bigger discs and/or lesson the quality for vids that don't need it.

Thanks again!

That helps. The total amount of time is a little over 2 hours. I have many clips that I was looking to back up into a playable DVD. I will work with it and get bigger discs and/or lesson the quality for vids that don't need it.

Thanks again!

The only "bigger" discs out there are DL of BluRay and at today's prices of standard DVDs I would not bother getting the much more expensive DL or BlueRay discs. I would not try to put more then 90 minutes on a standard DVD unless you really don't care about quality. In any case never use the Fit-todisc setting (if at all available in your program) since it gives really bad quality and corrupts you menu if you have one.