Roxio Community

Photo

Source Gb Vs Used Gb When Creating A Dvd.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 csmith0916

csmith0916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

I just downloaded Video Lab HD last night and when I add movies to my project, the MBs used are a lot bigger than the actual file source. Is this due to whatever conversion is going on? My source is MP4 and the total is less than 4 GB when I view it in my folder. Even if I put the setting on the Extended Play (EP) it will say that I have used over 6 GB as opposed to the <4 GB that it should be.

Is the software up-converting the source to a better resolution?

Sorry if this is a simple one but I am new to the world of authoring DVDs.

Thanks!

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

I just downloaded Video Lab HD last night and when I add movies to my project, the MBs used are a lot bigger than the actual file source. Is this due to whatever conversion is going on? My source is MP4 and the total is less than 4 GB when I view it in my folder. Even if I put the setting on the Extended Play (EP) it will say that I have used over 6 GB as opposed to the <4 GB that it should be.

Is the software up-converting the source to a better resolution?

Sorry if this is a simple one but I am new to the world of authoring DVDs.

Thanks!

File size is almost meaningless when working with video because of the different methods (formats) used to compress/decompress a video.
The important parameter is time: a standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at the best quality setting. Any longer and the video has to be compressed to fit on a DVD with the result that you lose quality.

So how long is the video your are trying to put on a DVD? Keep in mind that your program is "cut-down" version of a full program suite and may well have several features disabled or removed.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 csmith0916

csmith0916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

That helps. The total amount of time is a little over 2 hours. I have many clips that I was looking to back up into a playable DVD. I will work with it and get bigger discs and/or lesson the quality for vids that don't need it.

Thanks again!

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

That helps. The total amount of time is a little over 2 hours. I have many clips that I was looking to back up into a playable DVD. I will work with it and get bigger discs and/or lesson the quality for vids that don't need it.

Thanks again!

The only "bigger" discs out there are DL of BluRay and at today's prices of standard DVDs I would not bother getting the much more expensive DL or BlueRay discs. I would not try to put more then 90 minutes on a standard DVD unless you really don't care about quality. In any case never use the Fit-todisc setting (if at all available in your program) since it gives really bad quality and corrupts you menu if you have one.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users