• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bret Maverick

Bret Maverick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

I have Mac2Tivo and Tivo Desktop installed on my new Mac Mini. Tivo Transfer works just fine, but I can't get my Mac Mini to show up on my Tivo, even though the Mac2Tivo server appears to be running and I have successfully added several video folders (two others have been locked in "Calculating" mode for three days and I can't seem to stop it).

Either Mac Mini wont show up on my Tivo at all...or it will with an "!" in front of it and no content listed.

When I reboot my computer, the first thing that comes up is this error message:

"Roxi Mac2Tivo is in use by _Securityagent. Only one copy can be running at a time. Another instance of Mac2Tivo is already running"

Any advice?

Lee

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

I don't know a reason why that is happening. I found this explanation from Apple about security agent. I'd start by clicking "Stop Server" in Mac2Tivo and quitting the application. Then go to the Security panel of System Preferences and change the setting to allow applications downloaded from anywhere. (You can change that back later). Now go to the Roxio Software Updates page and download the latest version of whatever application you bought that included Mac2Tivo. Reinstall from that download. Launch the new install of Mac2Tivo to see if that works for you.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 Bret Maverick

Bret Maverick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion...but it didn't solve the problem. Tivo Transfer can see my TIvos...and my Tivos can see each other...but none of them can see my Mac. Mac2Tivo doesn't seem to be working at all, even though it claims the server is running. It's so frustrating and I can't see to find a fix anywhere.

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

Do you have Mac2Tivo 1.2.1?

I'm running OS 10.8.4 on a MacBook Pro that streams to the TiVo Premiere via wifi. The name of the Mac shows up as a folder at the bottom of the saved programs list. There is an exclamation point ahead of the Mac's name. When I click on the Mac's name I see a list of what's in a folder that I added to Mac2Tivo. Those programs have an exclamation point ahead of them and the warning that they will be automatically deleted in 24 hours. I can select a program and start its transfer. I'm not sure if the Mac2Tivo app needs to be open on the Mac.

One possibility is that the format of your video in the Mac2TiVo folder isn't supported. Check Mac2Tivo help to see supported formats. For instance it doesn't work to send .tivo files you transferred from the TiVo to the Mac.

Whenever I have problems with transfers I need to restart my wifi router. The Mac and Tivo can see each other but nothing happens when I attempt a transfer. I restart the Tivo, the router and the Mac and it's restarting the router that apparently makes the difference.

Have you downloaded the TiVo Desktop system panel from TiVo? That enables the TiVo to play music and show photos from your Mac. Is it working?
  • manifestao likes this
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 Bret Maverick

Bret Maverick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Okay, I've been able to get my Tivos to see what's on my computer...and I'm not even sure how I pulled it off. I tried all the fixes that I found on the forums here and online, and they didn't work initially...but then one day, whammo, it was working. I wish I knew what I did. Now at least I can get my content on my Tivos. Yahoo!

But now I have a new problem. Every time I start Mac2Tivo, I have to add my folders again. It doesn't retain the information once the program is closed or the computer is shut off. That means that every time I turn on my computer, I have to re-add my folders again.

The Tech support at Roxio could only think of one fix:

1) Delete all copies of the Toast prefs file (Roxio Toast Prefs)
2) Delete com.roxio.Toast.plist
3) Delete com.tivo.desktop.plist
4) Restart your computer
5) Launch Toast and enter your product key, ensure you select to enable TiVoToGo
6) Once Toast has launched, quit Toast
7) Now try launching the transfer application from the Toast folder

I tried it twice and it didn't work. The Tech support people at Roxio have no other fixes and suggested I post this problem on the forums.

Lee

Edited by Bret Maverick, 16 September 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

In my user>Library I have a com.roxio.Mac2Tivo file in the Caches folder and a Mac2TiVo folder in the Application Support folder. The latter has the database for what's been added to Mac2Tivo. Maybe it will help to trash those and try again.

#7 manifestao

manifestao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:48 AM

Hey, Digital Guru with the Triumph TR3, are you saying that you have made your Mac 10.8 be able to send itunes content through Tivo? Tivo says they don't support any Mac past 10.6.0. I'm so disappointed in them. they used to be stars

Do you have Mac2Tivo 1.2.1?

I'm running OS 10.8.4 on a MacBook Pro that streams to the TiVo Premiere via wifi. The name of the Mac shows up as a folder at the bottom of the saved programs list. There is an exclamation point ahead of the Mac's name. When I click on the Mac's name I see a list of what's in a folder that I added to Mac2Tivo. Those programs have an exclamation point ahead of them and the warning that they will be automatically deleted in 24 hours. I can select a program and start its transfer. I'm not sure if the Mac2Tivo app needs to be open on the Mac.

One possibility is that the format of your video in the Mac2TiVo folder isn't supported. Check Mac2Tivo help to see supported formats. For instance it doesn't work to send .tivo files you transferred from the TiVo to the Mac.

Whenever I have problems with transfers I need to restart my wifi router. The Mac and Tivo can see each other but nothing happens when I attempt a transfer. I restart the Tivo, the router and the Mac and it's restarting the router that apparently makes the difference.

Have you downloaded the TiVo Desktop system panel from TiVo? That enables the TiVo to play music and show photos from your Mac. Is it working?

#8 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hey, Digital Guru with the Triumph TR3, are you saying that you have made your Mac 10.8 be able to send itunes content through Tivo? Tivo says they don't support any Mac past 10.6.0. I'm so disappointed in them. they used to be stars

In the Music & Photos section of TiVo Central on my TiVo PremiereXL I can play music from iTunes and display photos from iPhoto from my MacBook Pro running OS 10.8.5. I do encounter network problems at times. For instance, when I tried this before writing this post the TiVo only saw my iMac and not the MBP. The MBP did appear after I restarted my wifi router but the TiVo gave me a message that it couldn't connect to the server. So I opened Sys tem Preferences on the MBP and turned off and back on TiVo Desktop and then everything worked. My TiVo is connected to the wifi router via ethernet cable and the Mac's are over wifi. I am running TiVo Desktop for Snow Leopard v1.95a. You can download it here.

If you're not able to make the connection then reboot everything from your Mac to your TiVo.

It's an Austin-Healey by the way.

Edited by tsantee, 05 October 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#9 golf25radioman

golf25radioman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Computers, web authoring, desktop publishing, collector cars, muscle cars

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Reading all in this thread has helped me understand a bit more about the Mac2TiVo. But before I go about trashing files in the Library, etc., let me say a little about my set up. First, I've got a MBPro 8,2 on Mavericks 10.9.2, Toast 11. My folder for transfers from the TiVo is on a partition separate from the boot partition/drive (named the partition "Storage"). I can tell Mac2TiVo where that folder is, it puts it into its window but there is a zero for files - and there are quite a number of files transferred. Is there any quirk that requires the directory of the Mac2TiVo to be in the User folder? In other words is my choice for storage a problem. I can see my MBPro in my TiVo (series 3) in the menu but it shows no files, probably because of that zero. A mention of file format was made, but I've done no changes to the files transferred so whatever format they're in is what they started as (.TiVo). The files can be viewed on my MBPro (double clicking on them) which opens the Roxio Video Player. I presume the Mac2TiVo original use was to view files stored off of the TiVo. I guess I could burn them and watch, but that defeats the purpose of the Mac2TiVo, right? I tried accessing these from my Premier and could not see any files. I have a new Romeo and an XL4 to be added to my "viewing pleasure" soon, holding off because the CableCARD fiasco pairing with the cable company - usually needs a technician to do their "magic" to make them work.

Tom

#10 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:56 AM

I'll need to do some double-checking of this, but I don't think Mac2TiVo works for sending .tivo files back to the TiVo. It works for sending your QuickTime-playable videos to the TiVo. There is no problem having your TiVo Transfers folder on a separate hard drive but you'd have to convert those videos to something playable in QuickTime before adding them to Mac2TiVo. Then you'd end up with standard-definition versions which probably isn't what you're wanting.

I can think of better options than Mac2TiVo for what you're trying to do. One option is to use sharing from your different TiVos rather than transfer to the Mac for storage. Another is to get the Western Digital external drive to connect directly to the TiVo to expand its storage. WD was advertising these on sale recently.

A third option is what I do. I have a DLNA hard drive connected to my HDTV that's on my wifi network. I use TiVo Decoder to remove the .tivo package from the TiVo Transfer to make it a regular .mpg file. Then I trim out commercials with MPEG Streamclip and send the video to the network hard drive where my HDTV can find it to play. (MPEG Streamclip insists on a .mpeg file extension which my TV can't recognize so I have to change it back to .mpg in the Finder). My method avoids any re-encoding and retains the 5.1 surround audio tracks when present.

Similar to that option is a WD TV Live or similar box that can stream video from your Mac's hard drive.

To me Mac2TiVo is too limited to be useful compared with other ways to stream video to my HDTV without using the TiVo.

Edited by tsantee, 18 March 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#11 Russell Machelper

Russell Machelper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:13 PM

I spent a long time on this... last year. Then, my problem was solved by a tiny application called pyTivoX
I hope this saves you countless hours of wasted energy!
:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac2tivo, tivo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users