KEVIN F

Can't Add Video Files To Menu

Question

Hello...I just read a previous post but can't find it anymore, so if my post has to be moved that is fine.

I just bought EMC8 a couple weeks ago, and just upgraded to EMC9. Yes, that's a lot of cash but I'm always crazed to have the latest updates available!.

However, unfortunately, upon trying to add a video file I wanted to add, the thumbnail has a red cross with a diagnola line through it, and won't let me double-click on the file. The format of the video is in XVID format (which I like because it is higher quality thatn DivX). I've added those types of files with NERO no problem, but got tired of other errors with them, and switched to Roxio. I don't like capturing files in MPEG-2 format because Premiere 6.5 (my editing software) doesn't always handle them well, and XVID is usually enough quality for me.

Nonetheless, is there anything I can do (besides converting the file to MPEG) to get it to import? If I convert it to MPEG than I'll need to have a copy of both MPEG and AVI of the same file -- because I want to haev all my menus backed up with the original file, yet still I prefer to play in XVID.

My Computer Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name STORM-5345N942G

Display Adapter NVIDIA GEFORCE 7800GS

System Manufacturer NVIDIA

System Model AWRDACPI

System Type X86-based PC

Disk Space 65.9GB available / 186GB

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2210 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 02/07/2004

SMBIOS Version 2.2

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale Canada

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

User Name STORM-5345N942G\KEVIN F

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 739.36 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 2.85 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by KEVIN F

6 answers to this question

Have you tried and can you use a divx file without any problems? I had this same problem and it was fixed by using the info from someone who did a lot of work figuring this out. You can find his very helpful and simple fix here

It seems that the latest divx file and the file added by EMC9 are nameed the same with the only difference being a capitol letter. You can read all about it for yourself. In my case, I had not updated divx but somehow, did have the latest divx file installed (????). Give this a try and if so, give props to MTolman for his work.

Thanks for replying! I was already able to add (and successfull burn) DIVX [AVI] files before... nonetheless I went through all the steps via that link you sent me, and copying the files and all of that was successful... but I guess that only affects DIVX because I still have the red cross with a diagnoal line for XVID files. XVID is open source, which I've read means it should be even more compatable...

I've tried using Elecard's Mobile Converter to bring the file to MPEG-2 and it does a very good job with the conversion (best so far), but I still notice something that I could only compare to DIVX's 'film-effect' option... I've fiddled around with a lot of settings with Elecard (don't know what all of them mean) but I can still notice it...it doesn't look bad... it's just a slight 'film effect' or something but I would like to get rid of it!

can anyone give me maybe another MPEG converter program to try...like a really good one? Unless there is something else I can try so I can add the XVID files.....grrrr

Thanks for replying! I was already able to add (and successfull burn) DIVX [AVI] files before... nonetheless I went through all the steps via that link you sent me, and copying the files and all of that was successful... but I guess that only affects DIVX because I still have the red cross with a diagnoal line for XVID files. XVID is open source, which I've read means it should be even more compatable...

I've tried using Elecard's Mobile Converter to bring the file to MPEG-2 and it does a very good job with the conversion (best so far), but I still notice something that I could only compare to DIVX's 'film-effect' option... I've fiddled around with a lot of settings with Elecard (don't know what all of them mean) but I can still notice it...it doesn't look bad... it's just a slight 'film effect' or something but I would like to get rid of it!

can anyone give me maybe another MPEG converter program to try...like a really good one? Unless there is something else I can try so I can add the XVID files.....grrrr

Kevin, sorry you've had no luck. I can assure you it did effect my system with an xvid I had of a British tv show. I first reinstalled the xvid codec then did the fix I suggested, rebooted and I was good to go. I'm not sure why it was not successful for you.

If you get it working, I'd be interested in knowing how.

Kevin, sorry you've had no luck. I can assure you it did effect my system with an xvid I had of a British tv show. I first reinstalled the xvid codec then did the fix I suggested, rebooted and I was good to go. I'm not sure why it was not successful for you.

If you get it working, I'd be interested in knowing how.

See my reply here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...amp;#entry49007

I just downloaded a Matrix trailer in Xvid format. I had no problem adding it to a Videowave 9 project. It previews prefectly fine. I haven't installed anything extra like additional Xvid codecs. Just DivX.

I just downloaded a Matrix trailer in Xvid format. I had no problem adding it to a Videowave 9 project. It previews prefectly fine. I haven't installed anything extra like additional Xvid codecs. Just DivX.

Hey... hmm, well I know I am far from the only one with this problem! I tried using VideoWave9, went to "add/video" still crossed off with a red circle.