rogerowen

Opening .qic Files In Windows Xp

Question

I have had a hard drive failure causing the loss of some old data. I have a safety-net back-up on CDs and DVDs (constructed via Windows 95, 98, and 2000). I now need to restore these .QIC back-up files using Windows XP. Will Roxio Creator NXT support this task?

5 answers to this question

What program did you use to create these files?.

NXT won't be any good for this

NO!

What you have is an MS Specific file that requires an MS Program, from Win9x to read...

HERE is a response from MS.

I ran into MS's lack of compatibility between OS versions in my MS-DOS days and never used their system again!

You need to use a Win9x to do the recovery... Do you have access to one?

NO!

What you have is an MS Specific file that requires an MS Program, from Win9x to read...

HERE is a response from MS.

I ran into MS's lack of compatibility between OS versions in my MS-DOS days and never used their system again!

You need to use a Win9x to do the recovery... Do you have access to one?

According to this article dated 2005 Backup My PC from Roxio can handle the job. I don't know if Creator NXT would handle this as some discussion on it's performance has been downgraded from earlier versions.

There is backup software available for Windows NT, 2000 and XP that will restore data written in .qic format that is generated by Windows 95/98/ME backup software. One such package is "Backup MyPC" by Roxio, available at http://www.roxio.com...re/backup.html.

http://www.qic.org/html/faq/faq9.html

Thanks cd, that is interesting!

I don't have a QIC file to tinker with...

The 2005 article you cited would take us back to circa, Creator 8 :lol:

It would be fun to see if that is still valid give the changes in the ensuing 8 years.

CD's link for BUMP now gives a 404 - Page Not Found. A succession of owners for the company over the past few years has seen most of the old links taken down. :(