VictoriaJZ

Problems Restoring Older Disks`- Toast On A Mac

Question

In summer 2006 I burned 12 disks using Spanning through [i'm pretty sure] Toast 8 - I wanted to restore them and work with them now, so got out the disks - the Restore icon was crossed out, apparently because on my intel Mac it needed Rosetta to run. I installed SnowLeopard on a partition, downloaded Rosetta and tried again. This time RoxioRestore did work but it said it couldn't restore the spanned images = that I needed to have Toast - I was able to click and drag the images over to a drive folder but on importing them to Aperture, almost 430 iimages were 'unsupported image format' or corrupted. I have done all the steps to fix the issue in Aperture but I'm convinced the issue is the lack of proper restoring using Toast/Roxio Restore.

Any suggestions regarding what can be done? I have been talking to someone in customer support and he sugg. I start a thread here in case someone here might have an answer.

I have now imported the images into two separate and different Aperture Libraries and done all the other tech stuff [i'm running 10.7.5 on my MacPro] - still have the 430 or so defective images.

5 answers to this question

What happens if you try to import the photos to Aperture directly from the disc rather than use Roxio Restore? That way only the ones that were segmented across two discs would not be readable. Or did you use some kind of compression when you burned the spanned discs so that isn't an option?

The Roxio Restore application may also be in your User>Library>Application Support>Roxio library. The one that is there may be a newer version than the one burned to the disc. If you have one in that location you might try launching it instead of the one on the disc. You may need to hold down the Option key while clicking on the Go menu in the Finder to access your user Library.

That's how I noticed the problem = I put the disks in the computer and realized that the Roxio Restore app on the disks did not work in my 10.7.5 OS so I had to create a partition, install Snowleopard, bring in Rosetta and then the disks "Roxio Restore" was recognized but kept giving me a message that I had to Have a CD or DVD with Toast used to span to restore from = which was what I was trying to restore from = so I had to click and drag - Aperture 3.4.5 that I now have is on my main 10.7.5 machine but not on the SnowLeopard partition. I can see if I can find the RR in the Library

and no, I didn't do any compression = these are all the original images -

My recollection of spanned data discs is that the actual files are accessible in the Finder from the disc and that Roxio Restore isn't needed unless you want to search for specific files or need to join files segmented over two discs. If I'm correct you should be able to import from the discs to Aperture without needing Roxio Restore.

Thank you -- I did do an import - actually copied over pics to a drive then imported = guess maybe the Toast copying process messed up the images - there may be no way I can fix the images, now - thanks

Thank you -- I did do an import - actually copied over pics to a drive then imported = guess maybe the Toast copying process messed up the images - there may be no way I can fix the images, now - thanks

It could be a problem with the disc itself. I've used photo-recovery apps before with damaged media cards and hard drives and I wonder if it might also work with your discs. I don't recall what application I used, however. You can search for some at MacUpdate.com. Toast 11 has a feature for copying discs that is called "Use Disc Recovery" that is supposed to restore information from damaged CDs or DVDs. There are steps you can still try so that you lose fewer photos. You also could try copying using a different optical drive (such as on a different computer). External optical drives usually are better quality than internal ones so they may be better able to read the data.