Roxio Community

Toast 11.1 (Build 1072) Stalls At "100% Complete", "writing Lead-Out"

Toast 11.1 (1072) stalls 100% complete Writing Lead-Out MacOS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Albe Sure

Albe Sure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

Hi there!

I have been using a DIGISTOR External Blu-ray burner (Model DIG-78112), available HERE (and I have an e-mail out to DIGISTOR tech support asking what model OEM drive is inside, but quite possibly the same Panisonic PAN-UJ-265SW that they offer as an internal solution HERE) for the most part successfully for the past 6 months, including around 70 successful burns using DIGISTOR 50gb dual layer Blu-ray media, available HERE, at a not-so-impressive (but 100% guaranteed with FREE replacement) 80-85% success rate.

The reason for my post is that my 15-20% failed burn rate has escalated dramatically to staggering 100% over my past 7 consecutive attempts.  I have been in contact with DIGISTOR tech support, and while they have been extraordinarily responsive and helpful…at this point in time I feel like I am hardly any closer to a resolution than when I started nearly a week ago.

Here are some of my particulars:
  • I am running a MacOS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.2 17" Early 2011 (specs available HERE).
  • I am using the "Data (Mac & PC)" setting in Toast 11.1 (1072), with "Disc View" set to Columns, and "Write Speed" set to 8x BD
  • My external Blu-ray Recorder is showing up as "Matshita BD-MLT UJ265" in Toast and is attached via USB 2.0
I have diligently followed the advice of DIGISTOR tech support, including using a single USB 2.0 data cable connected directly to one of my MBP's 3 USB ports and wall adapter power supply (as opposed to using either the supplied dual USB 2.0 data and power cables OR just the single data cable and the drive's built-in rechargeable battery) to address any potential power supply issue…AND adjusting my Toast 11 "Write Speed" setting to 2x BD.  After 5 consecutive coasters doing it my way, I netted two more failed burns using BOTH of the suggested changes (and the last 2 of which also came from a separate batch of blank discs).

While clearly NOT at a 100% success rate, I had a more-or-less working situation prior to these past 7 burn attempts.  I am baffled at what has changed to affect this rash of failures…and I am hoping to find a working solution to get me past this immediate situation, and perhaps to an improved overall success rate.

If it could mean a more stable environment, I have immediate access and am amiable to reverting to Toast 11.0.4 (710)…Toast 10…and/or Toast 9.  With some searching I have seen several suggestions to create a disc image prior to burning, but because my settings do NOT include any conversion of media files AND are rather large in size, I am really hoping to find some possible solution(s).

Thank you SO MUCH for your time in reading, and for your suggestions! ;)

-A.S.

Edited by Albe Sure, 18 September 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#2 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Do you get any error messages from Toast? If so, what do these say? At what point (beginning, middle, end) does the failure occur?
Will DVD and CD burns complete successfully?

#3 Albe Sure

Albe Sure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Posttheoldarchiver, on 19 September 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Do you get any error messages from Toast? If so, what do these say? At what point (beginning, middle, end) does the failure occur?
Will DVD and CD burns complete successfully?
theoldarchiver-

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply!  (…and I would have gotten back to you sooner, but tomorrow is my son's 1st birthday party, and we've been out ALL day getting everything ready to go for it.)

Uninterrupted, I don't get an error message in Toast, it just stalls indefinitely indicating "Writing Lead-Out…" and "100% completed" (I have left it go for hours overnight with Toast never finalizing the disc).

Posted Image

Clicking the "Cancel" button and then "Abort" at "Really abort recording the disc?" is ALSO unresponsive, stalling indefinitely indicating "Aborting…" and "100% completed".

Posted ImagePosted Image

Powering off the drive at this point quickly yields an: "Interface Error: 4 The connection is not stable." error message, followed by "The disc failed to be written."

Posted Image

Posted Image

In sum, everything basically appears normal with the burn until Toast reaches the "Writing Lead-Out…" at "100% completed", from there the disc will not successfully finalize.  As indicated, I had encountered this issue intermittently until just recently, but I have reproduced this issue with now EIGHT consecutive discs.

Under the direction of DIGISTOR tech support, yesterday I completely removed Toast 11.1 (1072) in favor of Toast 11.1 (1067) and attempted to burn a disc #8 with "Write Speed" set to 2x BD, using the DIGISTOR manufacture provided single USB 2.0 connector cable and AC power adapter.  Unfortunately, this attempt was unsuccessful.

To this point I have not attempted a DVD or CD burn using the DIGISTOR External Blu-ray burner (Model DIG-78112) / Panisonic (Model PAN-UJ-265SW) described above, only DIGISTOR brand 50gb dual layer Blu-ray media.

.:EDIT (09.25.2013):.  Added screenshot images to better illustrate what’s happening. (A.S.)

Edited by Albe Sure, 25 September 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#4 stevesol

stevesol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

I, too, am having lead out error problems... "Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS error.  Result Code = -5001. I JUST purchased Toast 11 because I had this problem with earlier versions of Toast and Popcorn. What's up with this? Do I need  a refund???

#5 stevesol

stevesol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

For completeness, the lead out error occurs in Mountain Lion on a Mac Pro with an Apple superdrive. Any thoughts?

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

View Poststevesol, on 23 September 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

For completeness, the lead out error occurs in Mountain Lion on a Mac Pro with an Apple superdrive. Any thoughts?
My best suggestion is to choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. When that is done select the resulting .toast file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window and then burn the disc. Make sure you are running Toast 11.1 (1072) and not Toast 11.1 (1067). The former is available through the built-in software update if you don't have that version. If it still is happening you might try a different brand of blank disc. I'm sorry I don't have a sure-fire solution as this isn't a problem I've experienced with Toast.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#7 Albe Sure

Albe Sure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

View Poststevesol, on 21 September 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

I, too, am having lead out error problems... "Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS error.  Result Code = -5001. I JUST purchased Toast 11 because I had this problem with earlier versions of Toast and Popcorn. What's up with this? Do I need  a refund???

View Poststevesol, on 23 September 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

I have not received this error message myself using Toast 11.1 (1067) or (1072) under MacOS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard…I don't believe that your issue and mine are (directly) related.

Edited by Albe Sure, 24 September 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#8 stevesol

stevesol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thank you tsantee. I am running the latest version. I'll give your suggestions a try.
Sorry Albe Sure... I wasn't sure if we were dealing with a variant of the same issue.

#9 Albe Sure

Albe Sure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

View Poststevesol, on 24 September 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

Thank you tsantee. I am running the latest version. I'll give your suggestions a try.
Sorry Albe Sure... I wasn't sure if we were dealing with a variant of the same issue.

No worries, just wanted to try and clarify (and I have now added some screen shots to my 2nd post above to help further illustrate the problem).

On the advice of DIGISTOR Tech Support, I did just sent my drive back to them in the mail and my replacement drive should be on its way shortly.  I am hoping that the issue was with the drive and will be resolved with its replacement (and they said they'd do some internal testing on the returned drive).  I'll report back as I have more. ;)

-A.S.

Edited by Albe Sure, 25 September 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#10 Albe Sure

Albe Sure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

So, I am still waiting on the return of my Blu-ray burner…but I heard back from DIGISTOR Tech Support earlier today, they received my drive on Friday and after conducting some rather extensive testing in that time they have found what sounds to be some REALLY impressive results.

As I previously reported, I have been using the “Mac & PC” option (under the “Data” tab) to produce my desired hybrid data discs…and THAT appears to be the source of what DIGISTOR Tech Support was able to independently verify as the SAME intermittent “Writing Write-Out…” finalization issue (where Toast 11 will stall indefinitely indicating “Writing Lead-Out…” / “100% completed”) that I have described above.  They believe that this issue is the result of the Toast 11’s use of the antiquated CDFS/ISO 9660 format to create “Mac & PC” compatible hybrid data discs (and this may also be the cause of some other intermittent burn issues that I have also experienced under Toast 11).

DIGISTOR Tech Support said:

Only Mac & PC (not Mac Only) option fails during the Writing Lead-Out in certain file arrangements. For example, we made copies of 10 randomly generated bin files that will always fail and it’s repeatable.  Also, we generated 12 bin files that won’t fail on Mac & PC mode, so we really don’t know what causes one set to fail, but not the other – the files are from the same random file generator program.

DIGISTOR Tech Support told me that they will report their results regarding this issue to Roxio/Corel in the hope of seeing a fix in future version of Toast 11.  In the meantime, their suggested workaround is to either use the “Mac Only” option in Toast 11 to produce HFS+ format discs…OR to use the “DVD-ROM (UDF)” option (available by selecting the “View Advanced Projects” option in the upper right hand corner of the “Data” tab) to create significantly more universal Mac/PC compatible UDF format DVD and Blu-ray data discs in Toast 11.

All the best! ;)

-A.S.

p.s.  I’ll report back later when I have had the chance to conduct a further sample set of burn attempts using DIGISTOR Tech Suppot’s suggested Toast 11 workaround, but for now this sounds like a very promising development.

#11 Herman-i

Herman-i

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:36 AM

Use Toast 11.1. Tried a couple of times burning a data BR-D but got the same problem. At first I used my older LG Blu-ray writer that stalled at 99%. So I bought a new Samsung Blu-ray writer but still the same problem. Tried different media (TDK and Maxell), no result.

Now I'll try to write in UDF format, hope that works..

#12 NadjaJi

NadjaJi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostAlbe Sure, on 18 September 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

Hi there!

I have been using a DIGISTOR External Blu-ray burner (Model DIG-78112), available HERE (and I have an e-mail out to DIGISTOR tech support asking what model OEM drive is inside, but quite possibly the same Panisonic PAN-UJ-265SW that they offer as an internal solution HERE) for the most part successfully for the past 6 months, including around 70 successful burns using DIGISTOR 50gb dual layer Blu-ray media, available HERE, at a not-so-impressive (but 100% guaranteed with FREE replacement) 80-85% success rate.

The reason for my post is that my 15-20% failed burn rate has escalated dramatically to staggering 100% over my past 7 consecutive attempts.  I have been in contact with DIGISTOR tech support, and while they have been extraordinarily responsive and helpful…at this point in time I feel like I am hardly any closer to a resolution than when I started nearly a week ago.

Here are some of my particulars:
  • I am running a MacOS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.2 17" Early 2011 (specs available HERE).
  • I am using the "Data (Mac & PC)" setting in Toast 11.1 (1072), with "Disc View" set to Columns, and "Write Speed" set to 8x BD
  • My external Blu-ray Recorder is showing up as "Matshita BD-MLT UJ265" in Toast and is attached via USB 2.0
I have diligently followed the advice of DIGISTOR tech support, including using a single USB 2.0 data cable connected directly to one of my MBP's 3 USB ports and wall adapter power supply (as opposed to using either the supplied dual USB 2.0 data and power cables OR just the single data cable and the drive's built-in rechargeable battery) to address any potential power supply issue…AND adjusting my Toast 11 "Write Speed" setting to 2x BD.  After 5 consecutive coasters doing it my way, I netted two more failed burns using BOTH of the suggested changes (and the last 2 of which also came from a separate batch of blank discs).

While clearly NOT at a 100% success rate, I had a more-or-less working situation prior to these past 7 burn attempts.  I am baffled at what has changed to affect this rash of failures…and I am hoping to find a working solution to get me past this immediate situation, and perhaps to an improved overall success rate.

If it could mean a more stable environment, I have immediate access and am amiable to reverting to Toast 11.0.4 (710)…Toast 10…and/or Toast 9.  With some searching I have seen several suggestions to create a disc image prior to burning, but because my settings do NOT include any conversion of media files AND are rather large in size, I am really hoping to find some possible solution(s).

Thank you SO MUCH for your time in reading, and for your suggestions! ;)

-A.S.

What worked for me is to Force Quit Toast. The dvd appears on my desktop and the copy is complete.
Hope this helps someone out there.
Best of luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Toast 11.1 (1072), stalls, 100% complete, Writing Lead-Out, MacOS 10.6.8, Snow Leopard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users