orionarm

Hardware Compatibility List (Hcl)

Can anyone send me a hardware compatibility list for ECD Creator 4?

PS The blind guy who was having trouble with xp, well he replaced his CDD with a LiteOn and that manufacturer is not supported by ECD Creator 4.

Do we know something about this before now? Who is this blind guy?

There's no 'hardware compatibility list' for Easy CD Creator 4. What are you actually wanting, or wanting to do please?

Regards,

Brendon

Can anyone send me a hardware compatibility list for ECD Creator 4?

PS The blind guy who was having trouble with xp, well he replaced his CDD with a LiteOn and that manufacturer is not supported by ECD Creator 4.

Also, ECDC 4 does not work with WinXP.

The blind guy called himself "Newbie." He wrote in under a topic called: " Easy Cd Creator 5 And Lite On Dvd/cd Writer " with the notation: "Started by Ed G, 22 Jan 2012. " He wrote that he had a Dell computer and that he had to replace his cd-writer with a LiteOn. Ultimately, he had to replace the LiteOn with a cd-writer that is compatible with his version of Creator.

I already knew that ECD creator 4 does not support or is not supported by LiteOn writers so, I was attracted to the post hoping that someone would direct him to the Hardware Compatibility List. (I was suspecting that ECD Creator 5 suffered from the same problem.) However, nobody mentioned the HCL and that is why I had to write in and specifically request it.

There is, or there once was an HCL for ECD Creator 4 because I once saw it six or seven or more years ago when I too had to replace a cd-writer and find one that supports or is supported by ECD Creator 4. I was hoping that someone on the forum had a copy of the list. Now I am faced with a same issue again but, I have lost or misplaced my copy of the HCL. If no one has a copy then, I could benefit from everyone writing in and telling what cd-writers they are using with ECD Creator 4 - perhaps we may generate a new hardware compatibility list. We could do one for ECD Creator 5 as well.

I'll go first and let everyone know that I have a copy of ECD Creator 4.05 up and running with a Philips CDD-4201/81. I could buy another one of that same type but, the cheapest one I found was over $50 plus shipping. I'ld like to keep the cost down to under $40 if I can do it. So, I'm looking for another model. Maybe there is one out there for $20,.

If anyone will let me know what cd-writer is working for him or her, I will look it up and try to find a copy of that CD-Rewriter for sale on the market.

best wishes to all of you and those you love,

Victoria, orionarm@basicISP.net

Victoria,

I don't think an external writer is going to be much use to you, given that for ECDC 4.05 you'd have to have an Operating System such as Win98 or earlier, and they don't handle USB very well.

You won't develop much of a drive list by getting the three people in the world who still run ECDC 4.05 to write in to you. However if you are running ECDC 4.05 and want a list of drives that ECDC 4.05 will recognize, go run your registry editor, REGEDIT.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adaptec\Easy CD Engine\1.0\Devices and you should see a look-up table of 700 drives the software recognizes.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adaptec\Easy CD Engine\1.0\Devices1 should have a further table, mine lists a further 322 drives for a total of 1022 drives.

If you can't find a living specimen of one of those drives, you might have some success if you get the oldest drive you can find and carefully substitute its DriveID in one of the final entries of the look-up table, following the syntax that the other entries follow. YMMV.

A similar exploration can be done for ECDC 5. Devices1 in my version 5.3.5v has 348 drives additional to the list in \Devices.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Brendon

The blind guy called himself "Newbie." He wrote in under a topic called: " Easy Cd Creator 5 And Lite On Dvd/cd Writer " with the notation: "Started by Ed G, 22 Jan 2012. " He wrote that he had a Dell computer and that he had to replace his cd-writer with a LiteOn. Ultimately, he had to replace the LiteOn with a cd-writer that is compatible with his version of Creator.

He doesn't call himself Newbie, anymore than you call yourself Newbie. :blink: He calls himself Ed G. It isn't a notation! You will see his name right above where you see Newbie in any of his posts.

Everyone,

My apologies to grandpabruce and Ed G. I'm over sixty and my eyes don't always see what's right in front of me. I missed the fellow's name. Please accept my apologies.

Victoria

Brendon,

Thanks for information about how to search the registry for the "look up table." By the way, I'm one of the holdouts that is trying not to give Bill Gates or MS any more of my money. I already paid them for licenses to run half dozen or more of their operating systems and I'm sore because they haven't made any of them work right. I hope you're laughing. What I'm working with is post w98se hardware trying to get w98se to run on better equipment. I'm having some success. I bought a used Dell Dimension 4600 with XP preinstalled. I don't know if ms got a kickback or not. I took Partition Magic 5 resized the full disk partition from 80 gigs to 20 then, once I had xp isolated, I copied the NTFS with xp to the back of the drive. Then I moved the NTFS up to just below the 2 gig boot boundary opening up an unallocated space for w98se at the front of the drive. After I got w98se up and running with it's old disk utilities, I discovered that there were damaged sectors on the HD near the beginning and, I ordered a new Hitachi Deskstar (it was used with the 4600 when it was released.) I used the old damaged drive to experiment further messing with xp to see what I could make it do. I don't like xp. It's big. It's overblown. It doesn't let me decide where to install programs. It won't stop growing and, I don't know what half the files do and, there seem to be double secret files that I cannot view. That is, if I go to advanced settings and tell the operating system to "show all files, not all the files show up. I wind up with directories that give one size and a lot let when add up all the visible files. I don't trust ms or bill or the peope he trained. I suspect they're all crooks and, I'll probably never buy another opsys from them made after the twentieth century. However, I'm still testing xp. They have a chance to redeem themselves if I see a new business ethic. In the mean time, I discovered more problems with a partition manager that was on the old hard drive. EaseUS introduced geometry errors to both the old hard drive and the new hard drive (when I tried to clone the partition with xp to the new drive.) I wound up having to wipe the new drive and start all over with another fresh install. I was so happy when I got w98se up and running for the second time, I was dancing from room to room. Then, I went back to Dell and explained what I was doing and they graciously comped me with an xp restore disk for the 4600. So, now I have a dual boot 4600 with w98se in front and xp afterward. I can run all the software that I've been using 13 to 15 years on newer hardware. w98se on an 800 mHz FSB with a pentium 4 2.x gHz cpu. It is fun! I hope you're laughing. I use Wordpad instead of a word processor to generate all my documents. My old games run well. And when I go on the net, if Firefox 2 can't handle it, I reboot to xp (with newer browsers) to get what I want but, you might be surprised at how much is still out there for cogers like me who still run the old os and browser(s.) I don't need jumping jiving and talking webpages. I get almost everything I want from 450 mB os that scandisks and defrags in five to ten minutes or less.

And, if I ever buy another new computer, I'm expecting it to be a Dell with Linux.

love, Victoria

Hi Victoria,

No, I'm not laughing although it could be described as "smiling knowingly". :) I've been there, and even though I'm running all sorts of new fangled operating systems [so I can keep playing with the new software] I still like to keep close to my roots. Some of the gurus still give me heaps because there are some things I can do much faster and better in DOS.

I was dismayed when XP came along. It was so bloated and unfriendly, and wouldn't let me run ECDC 4. I have had to keep a Win98 booting partition on one of my systems to allow for versions 3.5 and 4. When large amounts of RAM became cheap I had to hold that machine down to 1 GB because W98 gets very antsy if you try to feed it more. I have W98 in the front partition on that machine, and XP booting from the back partition. I think I have it so that I can see every file on the XP drive. I use a utility called PQBOOT from Partition Magic to swap the boot from one partition to the other, and I boot an old version Ghost 8 from DOS floppies to clone or image everything from W98 up to Windows 8. Works like a charm.

One thing I still do is keep my system [C: booting] partition small as possible with everything else out on D: or subsequent data drives or partitions. This means I can back up or tidy up C: easily and regularly. I do miss being able to sort all my directories and files alphabetically, and defrag quickly with the Norton Utilities which still work like lightning on the old machine compared with the bloated stuff in the new O.S.es.

My Windows 8 installation with little else installed, is about 40 times the size of my W98 one. [sigh]

Since I'm probably the only codger still running these things as well as new ones, please feel free to holler if I can help you with anything. I'm not familiar with everything, but I'll give it a try.

All the very best,

Brendon

Brendon,

I found the look up table and 518 entries to search for a compatible drive (w Creator 4.) Add my endorsement to yours around PowerQuest Partition Magic. I've been using v 5 for over ten years and it's just one of those programs that one does not want to lose. I particularly regret the loss of Magic Mover from later editions of PM. PQ Boot is another good program that suite. Their products were well made before you know who got a hold of 'em. I'm investigating Ghost 8.

thanks again,

v

Victoria,

I've sent you a private message [PM]. The envelope icon up level with your screen name near the top right of this page should have a red "1" on it. Click there to receive it.

Cheers,

Brendon