4 replies to this topic

#1 jizen

jizen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

I have been creating .Sd2f from my physical discs. I am finding that OSX doesn't always recognize a mounted .Sd2f files as the same disc as the original. Consequently, it queries cddb.org (Gracenote) for the track list, and doesn't use the corrected and personalized track list that is already stored in CD Info.cidb for the physical CD. Instead, it creates a second CD Info.cidb. I can't predict what to expect on any particularly disc.  The OS often recognizes that the physical CD and the mounted .Sd2f are one in the same.

Here is the blow-by-blow:
1) With Toast *not* running, I insert the CD and use iTunes to make whatever changes I wish to the track listing from cddb.org.

2) I eject the CD. My understanding is that this causes iTunes to write the changes I have made into CD Info.cidb.

3) I reinsert the CD. It always shows the changes I have made to the  track list in iTunes.

4) I launch Toast and save the CD as an .Sd2f disc image.

5) I quit Toast.

6) I mount the newly created disc image and examine its track list in iTunes. Sometimes, the OS reimports the track list for the mounted image from cddb.org, but more often it uses the same list as the physical CD.  I can't figure out why the image is sometimes not recognized as the original.

Does anyone have an explanation for this behavior? How can I force the OS to always treat the .Sd2f the same as its original?

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:28 PM

Interesting.

Do you mount the .sd2f disc image using the Mout It contextual menu in the Finder?
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 jizen

jizen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:53 PM

View Posttsantee, on Sep 4 2006, 03:28 PM, said:

Interesting.

Do you mount the .sd2f disc image using the Mout It contextual menu in the Finder?

Either way.  I use the Mount It contextual menu but I found no difference from mounting the disk image from the Toast application's menu.

-Joe

#4 jizen

jizen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:08 AM

Dear Tsantee et al.,
   I came upon this old thread as I was researching this issue again.  I am still affected by this problem and I am still looking for an answer.
       Thanks!
            Joe

#5 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

View Postjizen, on 02 September 2010 - 05:08 AM, said:

Dear Tsantee et al.,
   I came upon this old thread as I was researching this issue again.  I am still affected by this problem and I am still looking for an answer.
       Thanks!
            Joe
I haven't explored this issue for myself. The OS checks to see if the number of tracks and track length match anything in the cdinfo database file and if there is a match that info should appear. I don't know why there isn't a match when the sd2f file is mounted as an audio CD. Technically you don't need to eject the CD for the cdinfo file to be updated but otherwise you and I have the same understanding about how the process works. You can turn off having the OS automatically check for track info of unrecognized audio CDs but that isn't the solution you're looking for.

Edited by tsantee, 02 September 2010 - 04:23 PM.

I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users