Sign in to follow this  
ajm

Video Capture Usb Device Not Recognized

Question

I recently purchased the Roxio Video Capture USB device and downloaded the Windows Driver from the associated “Download Now” link on Oct 25. I installed the driver on my pc (Windows 8.1), connected the capture device, started Roxio NXT software and was able to import some old analog video without any problem. The next day however my pc no longer recognized the Video Capture USB device.

Under “ Device Manager” there is an exclamation in front of the Roxio Video Capture Device. Looking up the properties for the device tells me that there is no driver installed for the device! Under “Programs and Features” I could see the Roxio Video Capture Device. I uninstalled it, restarted my pc, reinstalled the driver from the previously downloaded (and saved) file and reconnected the capture device. Incidentally, in the process of reinstalling the driver, I received a conflicting message telling me that a driver was already installed. Anway, reinstalling the driver did not solve the problem . The capture device does not seem to be recognized and Device Manager tell me there is no driver installed for the device.

Need help solving this problem. Thanks.

5 answers to this question

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

With the Device plugged in, in Device Manager, Delete the Device.

REMOVE the USB Device from your PC and put it aside.

Now insert your Roxio Disc for NXT 2

When you reach the screen where Repair is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

If it happens again, then your AV or Reg Cleaner is what is breaking it...

Thanks for your help. I followed the steps you indicated in your answer and it solved the issue. The video capture USB device was available again in Roxio NXT. But it did happen a second time. I obviously do not understand how these things work, but if there is some sort of compatibility issue with McAfee antivirus/firewall, someone ought to look into it. Right now I am leaving the device plugged in all the time, even when I don't use it or when I shut down my pc and I am no longer having this problem. Not sure if it has anything to do with it though. Thanks again.

Most AV Software include some Registry Cleaner...

Most Reg Cleaners do more harm than good :huh:

Check yours to see what it is up to.

I suggest you Disable and Reg Cleaners!

Alternately, most will allow you to designate a Program to be ignored. If that is available, designate Roxio ;)

As to registry cleaners, depending on which cleaner you use, Your Mileage May Vary. I wouldn't be without the ones I use, but I avoid troublemakers like Norton's 360. A lean and compact registry certainly helps prevent system bloat slowdown.

I use Regseeker regularly as part of my system housekeeping, and I also use CCleaner at least daily to get rid of stray files/cookies etc. and keep my system lean and bloat-free. Both are free, and very well behaved.

The only time I've ever had registry cleaner difficulties with a Roxio program was back with EMC 9 when Roxio used a logically bad registry key as part of their licence validation. There, if I took the unusual step of running an 'Autoclean', Regseeker would remove the bad key and Creator would stop working.

Roxio changed their faulty validation system relatively quickly, and I haven't been able to break a Creator with my registry cleaners since then.

Regards,

Brendon

Last Reg Cleaner I had was for Win 95 :huh:

Haven't used one since, haven't had any need to ;)

I agree that Norton's 360 is a bit of overkill. but it does not mention a Reg Cleaner???