Sign in to follow this  
philolog

Burned Video Does Not Play

Question

Toast 11 won't play videos I burn.

I started with a file captured with Jaksta: filename.mp4.flv.

Toast codified the file after a long time spent, burned the disk (set for Video playable on MAC or WINDOWS) but the burned disk simply would not play. It showed a title, but the "forward" control would not convince it to go forward in Mac.

I then used Jaksta converter to the only setting I found for the purpose of using the DVD in a Mac, Win or DVD player. It came out as filename.mp4-appletv.mp4.

I studied all the options I found in Jaksta as well as Toast 11, but what I relate above was the best I could find.

Why won't my disks play video?

iMAC (intel, 2007 with SSD), Mavericks, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

There isn't a "forward" control in the menu. Click enter while the thumbnail image is selected and playback should begin.

Many thanks for replying. When I insert the dvd, the title page comes up, but I see no thumbnail image. Just out of curiosity, I went back to the Roxio burn menu, where the thumbnail image can be find. "Enter" doesn't have any effect.

I'm not sure where to find the right thumbnail. I looked in Finder, too, and found lots of VTS files under "video", but these had no effect. I tried clicking on the DVD icon on the Mac desktop which simply gave me a list of the contents.

One development, I discovered (blush, blush for not having invested better earlier) Toast 11's conversion function and used that to convert the flv file. The preview function reads the converted file without problems, but the DVD, also tested on a Win machine, doesn't want to start.

Thanks in advance for any solution you might be able to provide.

P

Toast 11 won't play videos I burn.

I started with a file captured with Jaksta: filename.mp4.flv.

Toast codified the file after a long time spent, burned the disk (set for Video playable on MAC or WINDOWS) but the burned disk simply would not play. It showed a title, but the "forward" control would not convince it to go forward in Mac.

I then used Jaksta converter to the only setting I found for the purpose of using the DVD in a Mac, Win or DVD player. It came out as filename.mp4-appletv.mp4.

I studied all the options I found in Jaksta as well as Toast 11, but what I relate above was the best I could find.

Why won't my disks play video?

iMAC (intel, 2007 with SSD), Mavericks, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks in advance.

I reread your original post and I originally presumed you were making a video DVD. But you say you chose a setting for Mac & Windows which has me wondering if you used the Mac & PC setting in the Data window rather than the DVD-video setting in the Video window. Then again, you say that Toast did some encoding which wouldn't occur in the Data window. So I can't figure out what you've created.

Presuming you used the DVD-video setting in the Video window there is a step that involves selecting your menu style. On the right side of the Toast window you should see the menu style selector. The default style is "Splash" which is text only so there would be no thumbnail image. If you click on the Splash sample you'll see the other available styles.

You also can choose whether you want the movie to auto-play on insert (which skips the menu and starts playing back the first title) and whether you want to Play all Items Continuously (which does what it says without ever going to the menu unless someone clicks the menu button on the player's remote control.

When the menu does appear the first title is highlighted and pressing the play or enter button should start playback.

As far as I can tell, the problem you're experiencing should not have happened. Maybe opening Toast Help (Help menu) and reading through the section on making a video DVD will point out something you can do differently.