Handels_handle

Restoring Multiple Disk Backup From Creator 2009

Question

My data hard drive crashed and Seagate wants 1250 to restore the data! I have an 8 disk back up set and I have retrieved it to a new hard drive to restore my files. I have completed that and all the files reside in the location I selected. The issue is that they all have .$roxio$ as he extension and I now need to get them to their original format and extension. Did I miss something or is there more steps to the process? I foolishly renamed the files and that did not work. Help!

I would have attached samples but it is not allowed

Examples

license.txt.$roxio$

er.dll.$roxio$

3005)tax return,tax.$Roxio$

8 answers to this question

My data hard drive crashed and Seagate wants 1250 to restore the data! I have an 8 disk back up set and I have retrieved it to a new hard drive to restore my files. I have completed that and all the files reside in the location I selected. The issue is that they all have .$roxio$ as he extension and I now need to get them to their original format and extension. Did I miss something or is there more steps to the process? I foolishly renamed the files and that did not work. Help!

I would have attached samples but it is not allowed

Examples

license.txt.$roxio$

er.dll.$roxio$

3005)tax return,tax.$Roxio$

You may have created the files with a packet writing piece of software that is now obsolete (Drag 2 Disc or Direct CD). Do you still have the software that was used to make the discs? Do you remember formatting the discs before using them?

Download the test version of ISOBuster (link) to see if it will work with the files. If so, you may want to buy it and save yourself $1210.

No I used Roxio creator 2009 which has back on track

I'm going to move the post to that section of the forum. Be aware that Roxio sold that program to another company. Di you try ISOBuster to see if it would retrieve the files?

If I might help here, Steve?

Handels_handle,

You or someone else have obviously archived those files with BackOnTrack from Creator 2009, using file compression and/or encryption. The .$roxio$ appended to the filenames shows this has happened.

To restore those files you will need to run Creator 2009's BackOnTrack, and invoke the 'Restore Files' option. There is no other way to do this.

post-208-0-52320200-1387442657_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brendon

Question Brendon???

I don't have any verision that old installed anywhere nor any notes on it...

My quesiton is, didn't it automatically include Recover.exe on the disc set whenever it made a backup?

Question Brendon???

I don't have any verision that old installed anywhere nor any notes on it...

My quesiton is, didn't it automatically include Recover.exe on the disc set whenever it made a backup?

No, that was different Roxio/Sonic software. BUMP, I think, or perhaps one of the various softwares they called Roxio Backup. It might have been Retrieve.exe.

It wasn't this version of BoT, anyway.

Regards,

Brendon

Okay guys thanks for the help but I have discovered what the issue is! It seems that the multi set DVD does not capture the top level of the directory structure. So when the files are retrieved for a restore the structure is incorrect and It fails In every case. The RFI file is not loaded on the physical disc so it can not be run from the DVD media which was not a problem since I had retrieved the secure files from the DVD to my Hard drive, I added the index file o the top level and that is when I discovered th ndexfie has n additional folder for the computer name. I added folder moved the files around and everything started working. Funny that is not in the documentation and not in any of the FAQ's or support documents. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper with Roxio legacy Support. Back ups aren't normally restored until there is a hard drive problem or you just get stupid and are around longer then ROXIOs support. I won't be using creator for back ups any longer. I have retrospect 8.0 which is a product Roxio now owns ince tey bought the company.

Okay, that's fine.

The big thing with any important backup is to test and make sure you can retrieve your information onto a different computer if yours goes belly-up. That means there are no surprises if the Bad Day comes.

Regards,

Brendon