btark

Nxt Pro 2 Video Capture Problem

Question

Prior to upgrading to Pro 2 from Creator NXT, I had been successfully capturing S/VHS tapes from my Panasonic machine using the Roxio Video Capture USB device/dongle I purchases a few years back. This device accepts both composite and S video inputs. However, upon installing NXT Pro 2 (which automatically uninstalls NXT prior to installing itself) said software, I found the initial interfaces to be identical to that I had experienced with NXT. So, I found my way to Video capture using the same hardware as delineated above, and that is when my problems started because I could not make it capture at all. Clicking on "VIDEO" resulted in different options than seen with NXT. Options listed were 1. MS Camera (not applicable for my purposes) and, 2. USB 2861 Video (whatever that is or means?). But, 2 was the only logical selection so that was selected. "CAPTURE SETTINGS" presented no problems and was same or almost same as for NXT. "STATUS" indicated no signal; and that was correct as the preview screen was totally black. However, the audio from the tape was coming thru just fine. Although I have hereto fore failed to state it; I was transferring the video via a S video cable rather than composite video ( which I have not tried yet) because my understanding is that it is technnically preferred over composite video. S video worked just perfect in NXT, but not in NXT Pro 2?? I am unhappy and astounded that this has proven to be the case. Unfortunately, getting my supposedly free 14 days of tech support from Roxio has proven equally difficult, and to date no one has responded to my requests for assistance. My head tells me that NXT Pro 2 should do same as NXT did, but I have no idea just now why that is not the case. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what the problem (other than me) might be,and how to resolve same. Thanks.

15 answers to this question

Sadly NXT 2 was brought out without any public beta testing... :(

Media Capture does not work with either the original Video Capture USB Device or the newer one :huh:

post-39730-0-52190800-1387981195_thumb.jpg

Media Capture will see the Video using Composite but NO Audio is present!

The EVD 3 does work with the newer device.

post-39730-0-91883500-1387981155_thumb.jpg

To be blunt, I would not expect a 'fix' or at least expect one anytime soon...

Soooo, if this were mine??? I would buy the EVD 3 Plus upgrade download and use that for capture ;) (LINK)

Of course you could uninstall NXT 2 and put NXT back in for now too.

In August 2013 I bought the Roxio Video Capture USB from Roxio, which came without software or CD driver - and yes, it worked just fine with NXT PRO.

I upgraded to NXT 2 Pro as well and have the same result as was described above.

Would the upgrade to EVD3+ fail since I did not buy EVD in 2013 (told that I didn't need it because I owned NXT Pro)? Do I need to go out and buy ED3+ and own two RVC USB devices?

Thanks for your help!

Brian: Look at the picture of the devices.

EVD3 Plus will work with the NEWER style device but not with the old one :wacko:

Interestingly, the Easy CD and DVD Burning package seems to work OK with both!

post-39730-0-81924000-1400793920_thumb.jpg

post-39730-0-54922700-1400793917_thumb.jpg

The only thing that the EVD3 Plus offers over all the others is the ability to SPLIT a project over multiple DVD's... Of course having gotten by without that 'feature' for more than 6 years, its' "value" is lost on me ;)

So, I have the newest USB device from an August 2013 purchase, but neither NXT 2 Pro nor a reinstalled NXT Pro allow video capture on either of my machines.

What version of the product are you using in the screenshots of Easy CD and DVD Burning - I have several earlier versions of EMC. Is it possible to just install the video capture tool from one of the omnibus products?

Final question - is it possible to buy just EVD3+ without the video capture device? I'm to the point of just going to Best Buy today and getting the whole package - I need to extract video from tape this weekend.

So, I have the newest USB device from an August 2013 purchase, but neither NXT 2 Pro nor a reinstalled NXT Pro allow video capture on either of my machines.

What version of the product are you using in the screenshots of Easy CD and DVD Burning - I have several earlier versions of EMC. Is it possible to just install the video capture tool from one of the omnibus products?

Final question - is it possible to buy just EVD3+ without the video capture device? I'm to the point of just going to Best Buy today and getting the whole package - I need to extract video from tape this weekend.

I used the Easy CD and DVD Burning Version 14, as it is certified from XP through Win 8.

The previous version, NXT Pro SHOULD work :huh:

Do the picture that cd asked for, that will tell us a lot!

You could buy the EVD3 Upgrade, But it would have to be through the Roxio Store, it is not retail.

At $20 for the download vs $30 for the other, that seems a quick cheap alternative ;)

However! As it should work with NXT, let's pursue that for the moment.

Jim, thanks for working with me on this issue. I have "purchased partial success" but want to see if we can do better.

NXT Pro (installed after uninstalling NXT 2 Pro) didn't work, though I have lingering doubts about whether it completely uninstalled, Do you have a link to the complete uninstall process?

I bought ED3Plus (Best Buy @ $49.95) which did capture the video from my Hi-8 camera, but only at 720x480 max. With it installed NX Pro still fails.

Back before upgrading from NXT to NXT 2, I think I captured higher resolution - do you know whether I should exceed 780x480 in Easy CD and DVD Burning

Version 14?

Jim, thanks for working with me on this issue. I have "purchased partial success" but want to see if we can do better.

NXT Pro (installed after uninstalling NXT 2 Pro) didn't work, though I have lingering doubts about whether it completely uninstalled, Do you have a link to the complete uninstall process?

I bought ED3Plus (Best Buy @ $49.95) which did capture the video from my Hi-8 camera, but only at 720x480 max. With it installed NX Pro still fails.

Back before upgrading from NXT to NXT 2, I think I captured higher resolution - do you know whether I should exceed 780x480 in Easy CD and DVD Burning

Version 14?

the max resolution for VHS video is 720x480 for NTSC (or 720x576 for PAL) so you cannot get any higher resolution when capturing.

Walt is right 720 X 480 is the highest anything captures at that is intended for DVD Output...

The Roxio GameCAP Pro will do 1920 X 1080 provided the Source is that high but only uses the Capture Software that comes with it and nothing else works :huh:

It sounds as though your EVD3 is working but I do not have NXT installed anymore to test on...

However you can take the mpeg files from EVD3 and use them in NXT or NXT 2 for editing and output!

Thanks Jim and Walt. I have successfully captured video using EVD3+ and will experiment with NXT on a secondary machine.

Jim, thanks for turning me on to Uninstall Pro - great product that gives me some confidence when I want to erase Roxio :-).

Brian

CD, my apologies for missing your screenshot request. I am attaching four screenshots -

1. Two from the desktop in my sig block running NXT 2 Pro

2. Two from my Lenovo laptop running NXT Pro, AND EVD3Plus

Brian

post-23969-0-80037500-1401166282_thumb.jpg

post-23969-0-94124000-1401166283_thumb.jpg

post-23969-0-36833300-1401166407_thumb.jpg

post-23969-0-37070400-1401166408_thumb.jpg

Here is a thought, of course it costs more :lol:

The Roxio GameCAP Pro is a device that captures in HD (1920 X 1080) ~ $120

It does REQUIRE Input from either HDMI or Component... If the Source is HD it will capture HD, if it is SD it will only capture as SD... (Many DVD Players do have Component Output (PR, PB & Y)

AND its' Capture Software is unique, only works with the RGC Device and nothing else will...

Best Buy may be receptive to allowing you to return the EVD 3 as an upgrade for the RGC ^_^

Assuming that capability would interest you.

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Has this issue been resolved yet in NXT2 or do I still need to go buy EVD3? thanks!

What issue, be precise.

This Topic was about the Roxio Video Capture USB device and the fact it does not work with NXT2.

Guessing that is what he is inquiring about but time to lock this out :(