• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tb2k82ce

tb2k82ce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

I have a video made up of individual pictures from my Alaska vacation. I shoot relatively high resolution pictures. So in general I'm satisfied with the quality of the picture. Now I also have videos that were shot with different camera's they are in avi format and not HD so the resolution is ok unless you try to play it back on a 48 inch monitor. The resolution of these video when shown on my 48 inch TV have a lot to be desired. I would like to have all of these videos (pictures made into a video and video clips) play on the same video. They would be separate items but on the same disc and be selected from as menu items.

What I want to know is there any way that you can have these play back in a smaller screen area. If so can you select the play back resolution (i.e window size) for each different segment of the total playback video.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

I have a video made up of individual pictures from my Alaska vacation. I shoot relatively high resolution pictures. So in general I'm satisfied with the quality of the picture. Now I also have videos that were shot with different camera's they are in avi format and not HD so the resolution is ok unless you try to play it back on a 48 inch monitor. The resolution of these video when shown on my 48 inch TV have a lot to be desired. I would like to have all of these videos (pictures made into a video and video clips) play on the same video. They would be separate items but on the same disc and be selected from as menu items.

What I want to know is there any way that you can have these play back in a smaller screen area. If so can you select the play back resolution (i.e window size) for each different segment of the total playback video.

Have you considered a picture in picture type of playback? Add a background (like an image or a colored panel) to the main track and add the video to another video track. When you do that, you can resize it the way you want. You should be able to make two separate projects and put them on one disc.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#3 tb2k82ce

tb2k82ce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thank you for your response.

I think what you described could work but can you then have a link to that video on the main videos introduction screen?

I used ffDiaporama to make my picture video even though I have MyDVD and can embed a smaller video in the main video using something like you described. But ffDiaporama does not have the ability to may an introduction clip like professional movies have and I like that. By the way some of ffDiaporama functionality added to MyDVD would do wonders for MyDVD.

Edited by tb2k82ce, 30 December 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

I know of no software that can create this. All video on a DVD has to have the same resolution

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#5 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

Thank you for your response.

I think what you described could work but can you then have a link to that video on the main videos introduction screen?

I used ffDiaporama to make my picture video even though I have MyDVD and can embed a smaller video in the main video using something like you described. But ffDiaporama does not have the ability to may an introduction clip like professional movies have and I like that. By the way some of ffDiaporama functionality added to MyDVD would do wonders for MyDVD.

I know nothing about ffDiaporama and in fact have never heard of it. Could you give an example of a "functionality" that "would do wonders for MyDVD"?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit

#6 tb2k82ce

tb2k82ce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

If you want more information it is Open Source - Freeware, Google ffDiaporama.

Basically it is designed to take pictures and video clips and make a movie out of them just like MyDVD. It has a feature where you can make a window within a slide/picture this can be any size so you make it 1/4 the size of the picture that it is in and then when you play the picture takes up the screen but the video is only 1/4 the size of the screen. I'm thinking I can make individual avi videos like this then use MyDVD to combine them all into one movie.

I used it to make an avi of my vacation it has lots of options not sure how it stacks up against MyDVD in that area. I then use that avi along with the video clips and made a single video out of them with an index front end. That is when I discovered the resolution on the video clips when shown on a 48 in TV was really not watchable.

I will try doing what I described later but I see no reason it will not work as I have embedded video in a window already using ffDiaporama so it would be just a matter of loading all of these different avi videos into one using MyDVD.

Anyway I have also left a request for some smart guy to develop a menu capability for ffDiaporama. It is an open source item most users are in Europe it seems.

Hope this helps and thank you for the reply.

#7 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

If you want more information it is Open Source - Freeware, Google ffDiaporama.

Basically it is designed to take pictures and video clips and make a movie out of them just like MyDVD. It has a feature where you can make a window within a slide/picture this can be any size so you make it 1/4 the size of the picture that it is in and then when you play the picture takes up the screen but the video is only 1/4 the size of the screen. I'm thinking I can make individual avi videos like this then use MyDVD to combine them all into one movie.

I used it to make an avi of my vacation it has lots of options not sure how it stacks up against MyDVD in that area. I then use that avi along with the video clips and made a single video out of them with an index front end. That is when I discovered the resolution on the video clips when shown on a 48 in TV was really not watchable.

I will try doing what I described later but I see no reason it will not work as I have embedded video in a window already using ffDiaporama so it would be just a matter of loading all of these different avi videos into one using MyDVD.

Anyway I have also left a request for some smart guy to develop a menu capability for ffDiaporama. It is an open source item most users are in Europe it seems.

Hope this helps and thank you for the reply.

I think the program you have is a cut-down version of the full Roxio Creator program (latest version is Creator NXT 2) and has several features and options missing. It still has a the full editor (Videowave) and the DVD authouring included though (myDVD) so it can do everything that you state you have been doing in ffDiaporama) if not a lot more. All that you described can be easily be done in the Roxio program. I have created numerous videos with multiple pictures/videos playing at the same time on the screen. All that is usually done in Videowave using overlays etc. . myDVD is normally used from authouring a DVD; creating the menu (is that what you mean by "index front end??) and burning the DVD.

If you are creating a standard DVD then all elements of the video will have the same resolution (720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL). You cannot have one clip at a HiDef resolution and another at a different resolution- this is simply not possible.

In many cases the standard video will lose quality when viewed on large screens. You have not stated what quality the original video has.

Edited by myguggi, 30 December 2013 - 12:27 PM.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#8 tb2k82ce

tb2k82ce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

First off thanks for your help.

I do not know the resolution of the videos as I did not shoot them. What I did do was make an avi with the lower resolution video playing in a window that was 1/4 of the total screen. I made this video at 1080. I also made the main slide video at 1080. I used MyDVD to burn a DVD which had an title screen that let you select anyone of the videos to be played. When I select the short videos they only occupy 1/4th of the playback screen and do not show any breakup. This seems to solve my issue of being able to view them. The only other issue I have is the length of the trailer clip on the main menu. I cannot see if you can do anything about that. I would like to make it longer. Does Creator NXT 2 allow that to happen.

What advantage would Creator NXT 2 be to me over using the free ffDiaporama for developing videos and MyDVD for burning them? Creator is not a lot of money with the discount they are trying to give me but I see no reason to purchase it if it is not an improvement. I wish I could have a trial version to check this out myself.

#9 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

How to make a personalized menu. (link)

If you are happy with what you have .......... ;)

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users