• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 campingshadow

campingshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

I am in desperate need of help. My father burned some files to two CD's years ago using some version (?) of Roxio CD Creater or Easy Write or whatever (around 2004). He and his computer are gone now so I cannot check it, and I want to open these files. They contain many family pictures that I cannot replace.

When I open the CD's I get the following two files......autorun.ini (which only brings up notepad text) and mrfinst.exe. Then I get a popup that says DVD RW Drive (D) EW_Reader and directs me to Run MRFinst.exe.

Running mrfinst.exe brings up the following dialog...."The CD_RW disc you inserted was formatted with EasyWrite. To read this disc, you must install a special driver. This wizard will guide you thru the process. Unstall Reader Now? " I click on YES The wizard runs and it says my Easy Reader is up to date.

Now here is the glitch. I am running Windows 7. Control panel says Easy Write Reader is installed. I cannot find it anywhere on the computer and a search of Windows Exporer brings up nothing. I am at a loss.....how do I go about accessing these files? There is nothing on the disc that will tell me what Roxio program created them, nor what files are on the disc. However, It does show in properties that the disc is full and I know there are a great deal of valuble pictures on there.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to go about retrieving them? Please? You help would be tremendously appreciated.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,359 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:48 AM

Brendon is our historian so you may have to wit until he sees this thread. Don't do anything more until he posts or you may wipe the discs or otherwise damage them.

There are some programs that may be of help if Brendon can't help. I have used a version of Adroit Photo Recovery (example; not a recommendation) to recover images off a crashed memory card. It is supposed to work with all types of media. If you do download, download the free trial to see if it can recover the images. If it does, then other might work also. Google or search Cnet for them; some may be free.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#3 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,083 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

I wrote a long reply and posted it here about 12 hours back, but I can't for the life of me find it now! :( I think the board software must have hiccuped again.

Campingshadow,

Explanation
The discs have been written in "Mt. Rainier" or "Easywrite" format, which was an up-and-coming new format back in those days. It required special software to read and write, and only a few disc drives could handle it so it quickly dropped into obscurity.

It wasn't an Adaptec format, but for a while Adaptec/Roxio included drivers for it in their software, so you could use it if your drive supported it.

Discs written with it had a small 'normal' section which contained an Easywrite reader, and the rest of the disc was in Easywrite format. The idea was that if your system couldn't read the disc, you'd be offered an Easywrite reader.

If the reader installs properly you should just automatically see the contents of the disc when you insert it. I strongly suspect it just won't run in Windows 7. Right-clicking on MfrInst.exe and examining its properties will tell you which version it came from, but that's a moot point now.

Suggestion
I've never been able to get hold of an Easywrite disc, so I haven't been able to try various ways of recovering one. My best suggestion would be for you to try CDRoller [cdroller.com] or ISOBuster [isobuster.com] as these two programs can recover files from non-standard discs. I'm told they have a demo version which will show you if they can find files to recover, but you have to buy the full version to actually recover the files.

Best of success,
Brendon
  • cdanteek likes this

Assorted computers in Windows XP, 7, and 10.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#4 campingshadow

campingshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

Thank you so much for the replies and suggestions. I will be trying all of them. It is very frustrating to not be able to open a disc and see what is on it. All I see are the two files. I considered taking the CD's to one of those companies that recover files. But I will try your suggestions first and let you know how I make out. At least you have given me a direction to go in and if I do not have any luck I will try taking the discs to someone who is still running XP. Maybe they can get the software to work.

#5 campingshadow

campingshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

Brendon, you are a genius. CD Roller worked perfectly. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It also recovers files from hard drives so I have a couple I am going to try it out on. But to get these pictures recovered means the world to me. Happy New Year to you and may it be prosperous and bring you much peace.

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,083 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

That is a most excellent result to hear. Thank you. :)

#7 Spartan301

Spartan301

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hi guys; my first post.

I have been driven crazy by the exact same problem campingshadow had trying to access files on cd-rw disks. I downloaded CDRoller and will try it out.

Thanks.

#8 BretAB

BretAB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

Hi,

I realize this is a very old thread, but I had the same situation occur today :I pulled out an old CD that had hand marker writing on it. It said there was music on the CD. I put it in Windows 8 Pro, no files showed up. The I put the CD in an old XP laptop, and now I could see all the mp3 files on the CD. 

Turns out that the XP laptop had Roxio Easy CD Creator installed on it. A quick search shows "MrfInst.exe is a type of EXE file associated with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 developed by Roxio Inc. for the Windows Operating System. The latest known version of MrfInst.exe is 1.0.0.0, which was produced for Windows XP Pro.". 

So if you have an XP installation (real or VM) somewhere, you could probably get MrfInst.exe to install and work. Just for the record, below is a pic of the MrfInst.exe properties and the CD's label that was on the CD I have. Also - If I recall correctly, the "DirectCD" seen in the pic means it was formatted CDFS.

Kudos to Brendon for the helpful tech explanation above.

HTH and Regards . . .

Attached Images

• Untitled.gif
  • Untitled.gif

#9 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,083 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

MRFINST.exe is the installer for Roxio's Easywrite reader.

It's not from version 7, the one you have is from ECDC 5.

For anyone who still has an Easywrite disc, here is the program. Attached File  MrfInst.txt   267.09KB   83 downloads

It is renamed to Mrfinst.txt so I can attach it. Download it and rename it to Mrfinst.exe.

It is written for older Operating Systems, so I don't know if it will install in Windows 8 or 10.

Regards,

Brendon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users