NickySt

No Sound? Nxt2 Advanced Video Editing/copy & Convert

Question

Used to use Creator 9, finally upgraded to Win7 so I just purchased Creator NXT2. I have tried to edit TiVo files and m2ts files (from my canon camcorder) in both advanced video editing and copy & convert - the files play while editing - but with no sound. When the project are complete - still no sound. Any ideas?

Thanks.

No one else has reported any specific problems with NXT 2 and TiVo files???

Of course Someone always has to be the first :lol:

I do not think any of the regulars here have TiVo so we don't have firsthand experience with it :unsure:

I guess you have watched and re-watched the Learning Center Video on this in NXT 2???

Why don't you start by outlining the exact steps you took from start to failure along with any messages along the way.

Thank you Jim, I have checked out the "how to's" in the learning center.

I am going to go back and try this from the beginning and will be back with a step by step description and the results.

Thanks,

Nicky

I've been sick, so I did not get to try again fully. I did record two short test recording on both my tivos and have just begun playing with those and have already encountered a problem. So - my samples are about 2 minutes long. One is recorded on my Tivo Series 2 the other on My Tivo Premiere. used Tivo desktop to dwnload the .tivo files onto my computer. First I started Creator, selected "videos/movies" then "copy & convert video." When the program opens I selected the Movies button in the "add source" area and navigated to the my TiVo recordings. I added the first sample, then followed the same steps to add the second. For the output I selected DVD. Next I selected the first sample video and clicked on the "trim movie" button. The editing window opened. I pressed play and the video began to play, but no sound. I checked my speaker - all fine there, but no sound. I closed the window, selected the second sample, clicked on trim movie, pressed play when the editing window opened - voila - sound!

The same thing happens when I try to edit these clips using "edit video-advanced." The file recorded on he series 2 has sound, the file recorded on the premier does not. BTW - when playing these clips with windows media player either using TiVo desktop, or by just navigating to the files and opening them, they both play just fine with sound.

Anybody have any clues to help me?

I don't have a tivo but wonder if you right click the file, if you have an option to convert to dvr-ms. If so, try converting the file then use the converted file in Creator and see if that works.

Right click the tivo files, click properties, details tab.

What is the difference in the audio that works than the audio that doesn't?

Oops!

2. In the details there are no differences I the files other than the size. The file recorded on the TiVo premier is much larger - not surprising since it is a high def recording.

Oops!

2. In the details there are no differences I the files other than the size. The file recorded on the TiVo premier is much larger - not surprising since it is a high def recording.

Differences in audio one file from the other?

post-97-0-70561800-1391612327_thumb.jpg

.tivo files must not be recognized as video files. I am not given the video/audio information about these files.

A screen cap from you, like the one cd used, would sure increase our confidence levels ;)

Jim - I will post a screen cap when I get home from work.

cd - I have looked around the tivo forums, but mostly I have seen folks talking about alternatives to Creator. I have not posted on their forums because I suspect I will be advised to dump Creator and purchase something else (don't have any more money to spend on this hobby) or to try some free tools that are way beyond my comfort level. Thanks though.

Don't be too quick to give up ;)

It can be a matter of finding the right solution OR it is a problem in need of a fix!

Either way you have raised out curiosity and that help ward off cabin fever :lol:

OK, here are the properties of the two files. You can see that I am not given much "detail" about these .TiVo files. Still no clue as to why Creator finds the sound in one and not the other.

Thanks guys,

Nicky

post-117409-0-54645300-1391730879_thumb.jpg

post-117409-0-38029000-1391730888_thumb.jpg

OK, interesting...

How about recording a 5 second recording and putting that file on a file sharing service like UpForDown or any other that you want to use.

That way we can download it and try to see what is going on ;)

Weird. I just used the posted link to download the file to a different computer. The file played fine in windows media player. What program are you using? I'd like to if I have the same issue.

I just downloaded VLC and tried to play the file and got the same result as you. Interesting. What has TiVo done to these files? Creator is supposed to be able to work with them though.

I just downloaded VLC and tried to play the file and got the same result as you. Interesting. What has TiVo done to these files? Creator is supposed to be able to work with them though.

Nicky,

Where did you get that 7-second clip? Off your TiVo recorder?

I believe it's encrypted by your TiVo, which would explain why you, CD, and I all get the same result from the VLC player. The VLC player can't decrypt the file. I get the same fragged effect when I try to play it in WMP, though I must 'fess I have only WMP 9 on this machine.

Roxio Video Copy and Convert [VCC] requires the TiVo Desktop installed to decrypt the video before it can be converted to anything else.

post-208-0-55117300-1391832048_thumb.jpg

I installed the TiVo desktop software 2.8.3, but it won't help because I don't have a TiVo recorder with your encryption/decryption key. The Desktop seems designed to use your TiVo key and decrypt stuff coming off your TiVo to play on the PC, or to encrypt stuff going from the PC to your TiVo. It is tied to one TiVo only, and the .tivo files aren't transferable to other TiVo machines.

post-208-0-87057700-1391832190_thumb.jpg

Even after installing the TiVo Desktop, VCC still rejected your file. I suggest that's because I don't have your TiVo's key.

post-208-0-29769600-1391832340_thumb.jpg

I think for YOU to use that clip you would have to install the TiVo Desktop software, and tie it to your TiVo VR during installation by entering your TiVo's key.

I also think that TiVo is a festering pile . . . . .

Regards,

Brendon

that really hurts post-39730-0-51204100-1391860921_thumb.jpg

Tough! :)

On January 23 TiVo laid off 5 of its 7 hardware engineers - that's 71% of them. http://arstechnica.c...ndon-its-boxes/ And there is a suggestion that they have already abandoned support of the PC in favor of Apple products.

There's an interesting article here http://www.tgdaily.c...and-irrelevance published January 25, which questions the continued relevance of TiVo. The author, himself a TiVo subscriber, concludes by saying:

If you are going to continue to pay for TiVo then, you are truly holding back the tide and that's okay because, everyone knows that it is really easy to hold back the tide.

TiVo, go ahead and ditch your hardware business. Or, don't. It doesn't matter. Your service doesn't really make much sense these days.