macbikegeek

Toast 11 Not Responding For Days Opening Large .tivo File

Question

I have a 65GB file which I used to be able to open Toast and I was able to burn a portion of the video to a DVD as a test. Now I'm trying to do the rest and Toast simply sits there chewing up CPU for days but never comes back. Any suggestions?

4 answers to this question

I suspect there is something in that video file that Toast can't read properly. On the other hand I've had problems at times with Toast stalling when a HD video is in the Toast editing window. Are you saying you can't even add the video to the main Toast window?

Thanks for your response. Yes, regardless of how I add it (drag from browser within Toast, drag from Finder to Toast, right-click on file and specify open with Toast). It plays fine in DVD player. And I was able to open in in Toast before. It says adding files to Toast (in the kind of gray) and has the spinning bars in a circle but just hangs for days. I have 6GB of memory and plenty of hard drive space (SSD), so I'm kind of baffled. Also, Activity Monitor is not showing active disk i/o.

Edited by macbikegeek

Hmmm. A 65 GB TiVo file is really big. That must be about 12 hours. What I'd do in your case is use TiVo Decoder to remove the .tivo package so I could open the mpeg 2 video in MPEG Streamclip. I then would use Streamclip's trimmer to select segments to save as new smaller videos and add those to Toast.

Part of the problem Toast may be having with your video is it is too lengthy to fit on any kind of disc. It may be stumped about what to do. See what happens if you choose the Video Files setting in the Convert window instead of using the Video window.