• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 zubb99

zubb99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

When I attempt to use the retail version Easy Roxio Creator 9 - "Edit Video with Video Wave", I get the error message "The following codecs must be activated befor using the application - MPEG-2." When I select "OK" I get a "script error" error message & then I cannot go any further. (See attachments for the error messages.)

Attached Images

• Roxio Error Message 2.jpg
  • Roxio Error Message 3.jpg

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

You posted in the Creator 2009 forum yet in the post you say you have Roxio Creator 9....which do you have?.

Also what O/S do you have XP/Vista/Win 7/8?.

#3 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,306 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

I bet it is Easy Media Creator 9 (very old) because I think that Roxio only used the need to activate the mpg2 codec in that old version (and never again). I think that the activation server was shut down long ago. If the poster has XP then he needs to contact Roxio/Sonic; if he has anything else, then it is not compatible with the newer operating systems.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#4 zubb99

zubb99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for your responses. I apologize for incorrectly posting in Creator 2009. My software is Creator 9. I am using XP Pro Sp3. The strange thing is, the software has been working fine up until now. I tried to install the software on another XP Pro Sp3 computer & got the same message. Evidently the Digital Guru is correct. Roxio evidently attempts to contact the inactive activation server to validate the installation. Unfortunately you have tp pay $25.00 for Roxio/Sonic tech support. If I upgrade, any suggestions regarding Roxio Creator NXT 2 vs Cyberlink Power Director Ultra?

#5 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,306 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

Remember that this site is paid for by Roxio/Corel. We would not offer any suggestions regarding out developer's software. Look at the Corel product also.

Having said that, and trying to save you some money, you may be able to find a "new - inbox) version of Creator 2012. Do not buy just a disc; you don;t know how it was made.

Wait for a couple of days; I'll try to get you more information about registering that old product.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

#6 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,539 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for your responses. I apologize for incorrectly posting in Creator 2009. My software is Creator 9. I am using XP Pro Sp3. The strange thing is, the software has been working fine up until now. I tried to install the software on another XP Pro Sp3 computer & got the same message. Evidently the Digital Guru is correct. Roxio evidently attempts to contact the inactive activation server to validate the installation. Unfortunately you have tp pay $25.00 for Roxio/Sonic tech support. If I upgrade, any suggestions regarding Roxio Creator NXT 2 vs Cyberlink Power Director Ultra?

You say that you have the retail version. Is yours the downloaded version or the box version? The download version required connecting to Roxio's long gone server, to activate. The box version does not.

Did you click on Yes in the script error box?

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

#7 zubb99

zubb99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

My retail version is the boxed version that I ordered directly from Roxio. There are 2 CDs. An installation CD and a "Content" CD. Other than any Roxio function that requires "mpg 2", all the other Roxio functions work OK.
I'll try to explain all the error messages I get after the 2 original error screens that I posted. (Good luck trying to follow them)
- If I click "yes" on the second error message, I get the script error message Error # 3)
- Clicking yes on that screen gives me the blank screen with 2 buttons (Error # 4)
- Clicking the left button on (Error # 4) gives me (Error # 5) "the application will now close".
- Clicking OK keeps me in Roxio, but takes me to the "Home Video Screen"
- Clicking the right button of (Error # 4) gives another error message (Error # 6)
- Clicking yes on (Error # 6) gives me a screen with 5 boxes and 3 buttons (Screen # 7)
- The empty boxes will accept data, but the 5 box format does not match my (xx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx) installation CD Key format
- The right button gives me (Error # 8)
- The middle button takes me to my print option screen
- The left button gives the close message again (Error # 5)
- Clicking OK on (Error # 5) keeps me in Roxio but takes me to the Roxio Creaor 9 Home "video" screen
When I installed Roxio on another computer, I still get the same script errors but I get a new error message (Error #9). "No permission - bad instllation". OK takes me back to Home Video Screen

Attached Images

• Error 3.jpg
  • Error 4.jpg
  • Error 5.jpg
  • Error 6.jpg
  • Error 8.jpg
  • Error 9.jpg
  • Screen 7.jpg

#8 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,127 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Zubb99,

If you have a commercial boxed [not downloaded] version, then there should be no involvement of activation servers.

[1] Please go to Help > About > About this software

Roxio Creator 9 Home.jpg

And tell me the full version and build numbers which show in the box that appears

about.jpg

I've just installed version 9.0.088 build 900B88F, R03 in XP, SP3 and it's working fine. I've put MPG and AVI files into Videowave and there's no problem.

If you can tell me which version you have, and I have it too, I'll try and install that version in a fresh XP to see what happens.

[2] If yours was working but suddenly stopped, then something must have changed or broken. Have you applied any Windows or any other updates lately?

[3] Have you installed any other video programs on your system around the time of the breakdown?

[4] Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling EMC 9 on your machine?

Regards,
Brendon

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
2 x DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windows XP, 7, and 8.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#9 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,306 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

Also those blank screens are OFTEN caused by an incorrectly set video card/chip. Make sure the drivers are up to date (from the manufacturer), that you have Windows fonts set to 100% (96 DPI) and the displat is set about the minimum values.

Laptop - Windows 10

#10 zubb99

zubb99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

As I stated before, my software is a retail boxed version that I bought directly from Roxio. My version & build appears to be newer than Brendon's (See Attachment). My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti and the drivers are up to date. My fonts are set to 96DPI. I did have a computer crash and had to do some hardware manipulation since the last time that I tried to edit video. Other than video editing. everything works fine. I did un-install and re-install and still get the same error messages. Googling my problem I found a suggestion on how to manualy activate the software (See attachment). I tried it, but evidently my script errors prevent me from getting to line #4 (activate offline). I just installed the software on another computer that has no Internet connection & even though I get some script errors I can create Mpeg-2 video, so evidently it's a compatablity problem between the software & my computer. Something must have changed when my computer crashed. I have the capability to boot into another hard drive on my computer, I'll have to try to install EMC 9 on that drive. I'll let you know how I make out. I welcome any other suggestions.

Attached Images

• Roxio Activation.jpg
  • Roxio Version.jpg

#11 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,127 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hello again,

I'll see your 9.1 build 068 and raise you some :)

about.jpg

This one just installed without a hitch in a fresh XP-3, and Videowave is happily working

vw.jpg

I'm convinced that nothing affecting your software has changed at the Roxio end. I agree with you that something must have changed when your computer crashed. Those screens you showed indicate that particular installation is well screwed. :(

It seems that whatever has changed is not affected by a simple uninstall and reinstall of Creator 9. I'll be interested to see how it goes when you install while booted on your other hard drive.

Regards,
Brendon

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

#12 zubb99

zubb99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

I installed EMC 9 on another drive on my computer that has it's own Windows XP Pro OS and when I try to work with videos, after the "missing mpeg-2 codec message I get the error message "No permission - bad installation". (See attachment). I uninstalled & re-installed the software with no change. Then I went into the registry & deleted every entry that had "roxio" in it, (hundreds of entrys). I got the same error message. As I said before, when I installed it on a different (8 year old) XP Pro computer, it didn't matter if I was connected or not to the internet, I did not get any Mpeg-2 error messages. It does not make sense, but it seems that something in my hardware (probably the MSI video card that was installed around the same time as my computer crash) is not compatible with the Roxio software. If it is, I'm concerned about upgrading my Roxio software. I've been experimenting with the "Cyberlink Ultra" trial download & even though it has some nice features I prefer Roxio because it's tied into their "Photosuite" software that I like and have been using successfully since Photosuite 4. Unfortunately I cannot find any Roxio trial downloads. Thanks again for your comments and advice.

Attached Images

• Error 9.jpg

#13 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,127 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the info.

-So to summarize, your computer crashed, and among other things you put a new MSI video card into it.
-Since then you've installed on two different drives in that same computer, and both times got the "bad install" and MPEG problems.
-Installing in a different computer went fine, regardless of whether or not it had Internet connected.
-My installing of various versions with and without the Internet worked fine.

I think we can rule out activation servers as "not involved", and the finger of suspicion has to be pointing at the video card. Take Steve's [sknis] advice and check that you have the latest video card driver updates from your manufacturer, and have your settings right.

An easier and perhaps more reliable way of cleaning Roxio out of your registry is to use the Revo uninstaller set in moderate mode. You can get a freeware version here http://www.revounins...e_download.html .

Regards,
Brendon

#14 zubb99

zubb99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Some answers and some new questions.
1 - I downloaded the trial pro version of the suggested "Revo Uninstaller" and used it for EMC9 on both of my drives that I had it installed on.
2 - I then booted into the secondary drive with my router turned off and installed EMC9. I did not get any codec error messages and could work with mpeg-2 with no problems. I then got out of the program and turned on my router and accessed EMC9 again. I got the codec error message.screens as before.
3 - I then booted into my primary drive with the router turned off and installed EMC9. I still got the codec error message but without the script error messages. The first screen was the "Product Activation with Offline Activation Option" (See Error 1). After selecting "Offline Registration" I got the screen with the 5 boxes. (See Error 2) There is supposed to be a 25 digit code listed but there isn't. (See next Item #4). "Cancel" takes me out of the video edit program. When I turned on the router I got the codec error message and after clicking "OK" I got the "Product activation in progress screen" (See Error 3). The next screen asks "Activate this feature now" (See Error 4). The next screen says "Invalid Product Key". (See Error 5). Cancel takes me out of the video feature.
4 - When I tried to access EMC9 on the other computer that EMC9 had worked with the internet on or off, I got the codec error message but trying "Offline Registration" gave me the 25 digit number (See Error 6). Following the instructions & entering the 25 digit code on the Roxio screen gave me another error message (See Error 7).
What did I learn.
- The video card is not the problem
- EMC9 does try to contact their server when accessing their video programs.
- Evidently, left over data from my "uninstalls" caused my "Script error" problems (corrected by Revo).
- I have no explanation why Roxio EMC9 is inconsistent on identical Operating Systems drives/computers. I can see why Roxio no longer supports it.
- For now, when I work with video, I can only use EMC9 on my secondary boot drive with Internet access turned off.

Attached Images

• Error 1.jpg
  • Error 2.jpg
  • Error 3.jpg
  • Error 4.jpg
  • Error 5.jpg
  • Error 6.jpg
  • Error 7.jpg

#15 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,127 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:23 AM

Zubb99,

I don't know what has triggered the requirement to activate your retail, boxed, EMC 9.1 - it shouldn't do that, and I haven't been able to replicate the error here on my XP Pro SP3 machines.

What say I airmail you a copy of my 9.1.074, and perhaps also the 9.0 since both those refuse to misbehave here? You can see what happens with them on your machine.

If that interests you send me a Private Message [mouse over my name at the top left of this post, and click on 'Send Message'] and when I get the PM we can organize where to send it.

Regards,
Brendon

#16 OneHowlingWolf

OneHowlingWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:26 AM

I have Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning, ver 9.0.554, Build 905B54T-R01, with the same problem. I use Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, upgraded to the fullest. The program loads, but when I try to use the Quick DVD With My DVD Express option, I am told that I need tio activate the MPEG-2 codecs. Either I cannot connect to the server, or the server claims an invalid product code, or I am presented with a message box (as is the case right now) telling me to go to http://activation.roxio.com/activateme and to type in this set of numbers, and then to receive the key code. The product key that I am to type in is, xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx, and I am supposed to receive an activation code. The web page will not accept this set of numbers, claims to be an invalid code. I have gone through this routine repeatedly for many months. Is there any way that I can hack into the program to fix this activation problem, or could somebody send me a private email with an activation code which I may try? Thankyou, onehowlingwolf@aol.com

PS, this is the message that I have been receiving this morning when I type those numbers into the web page to get the activation code:

Product Activation

There was a problem activating your product. This could be due to: ERR_ACTIVATION_GENERAL

Removed product key#.

Edited by sknis, 13 September 2014 - 04:48 AM.
Duplicate Post; second thread jacked topic.

#17 crashmore_d1st

crashmore_d1st

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

Sorry to jump in with both feet but all this advise is, to be kind, worthless. I have been a daily (weekly??) Creator user since 5 came free with my video card. I say "worthless" because no one has offered the only viable and cost effective solution

After a system crash, I spent more than a week uninstalling Creator 9 Suite and scrubbing the Windows registries (Xp Pro) and reinstalling it. All I got was a congratulatory email for my successful registration and a new set of activation keys. Everything worked great except as we all know... the magic codec.

Several uninstalls and scrubs later, the results remain unchanged. A week of fighting that losing battle lead me to another solution. I found and purchased Creator 2012 on Amazon for $25 (free shipping and no tax). It took a week to arrive and be installed. It worked flawlessly then and continues to do so today almost two years later.

Amazon still lists it for the same price. Didn't check to see if shipping is still free. Ignore the crappy reviews. With the exception of a totally strange user interface (compared to Creator 5 or 9), it does everything you have ever known of Roxio Creator. And much more minus those rendering bugs I detested.

If Creator 9 is all you have known, you will love what 12 brings to the game. Where I needed two or three other programs to rip music or converted video or movies for my car or cellphone, it's all there in Creator 2012.

Skip the agony, bite the bullet and upgrade... even if it is a three year old version from Amazon. I am sure Roxio will appreciate our continued patronage.

Edited by crashmore_d1st, 25 September 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#18 aeshna

aeshna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

I have the exact same problem like "zubb99" describes on March 10, 2014 - except that I installed the Roxio CD & DVD creator program Version 9.0.554 from a retail box (bought at Office Depot) last year on a brand new PC with Windows XP pro (yes, I still like that one better). I didn't have any crashes, bugs, viruses or other interfering programs to blame.

The CD creator and all audio related functions work perfectly.

But when I first tried to make a DVD, it requested an activation! The manual offline activation for the "MyDVDexpress", as suggested, yields the same error message: There was a problem activating your product. This could be due to: ERR_ACTIVATION_GENERAL

Sorry, all the reasons that Brandon lists for the malfunction do not apply. Any other way to get this program working? I won't buy another newer version for the very few times I would need the DVD writer.

Edited by aeshna, 20 November 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#19 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,127 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

Easy CD & DVD Burning, Version 9.0.554 is a very old, cut-down and reduced capability version of EMC 9.  It has its own forum, which I see you've already posted in.

Check there for an answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users