• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Cajun75

Cajun75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

When I type in my Product Key that is printed on the jacket it is not accepted.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

What product do you have? The one in this forum has been out of production over a year now :huh:

What Exactly does it say?

In any case, get a magnifying glass and make absolutely sure you aren't mistyping ;)

#3 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

If the message is an invalid key read this:

Issue: Invalid CD key error message during installation

Resolution:
  • Verify there is no typo and no mix up with the letter O and number 0, S and 5, B and 8 etc. Also, CD key for most Roxio products is 17 characters long.
  • Make sure the computer is connected to the internet.
  • If installing from disc, try copying files from the disc to a folder on the hard drive then installing from hard drive.

Edited by sknis, 05 March 2014 - 06:33 AM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#4 Rox-Ralf

Rox-Ralf

Roxio Forum Admin

• Root Admin
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

If sknis suggestions did not work, then you may send me a PM so I can help you. :)

#5 gichangA

gichangA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

Hi,

I am having the same issue. I'm missing something..... Help!

#6 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,032 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

If you followed the suggestions in Post #3 and they did not help , follow the instructions in Post #4.

#7 BALWIT

BALWIT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

Having activation issues with Roxio Easy VHS to DVD. Getting the dreaded "Product not activated" message. Purchased software at Staples. Sent message to Ralf but not sure where to look for my reply.

#8 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,032 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

Scroll to the top of this page, on the right, you will see a envelope 1.png it will turn RED when he responds, be patient.

#9 heybob

heybob

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

I purchased apparently a used older version for PCs of the Roxio VHS to DVD... I got it off ebay because it seemed to be a bargain and a neet way to transfer my old VHS's... and it had the brand "roxio" on it... a brand I know to make good products. The hardware looks like it's never been out of the package. I got everthing down to the manual but the DVD was in a plain white envelope.

I think it's safe to say that there's plenty of these.. like what I have... out there that the product key wasn't saved since it was not stamped on the DVD or included in the manual. VHS is obsolete so they convert their VHS's and they are done with the kit. It's perfectly good hardware and DVD with software but all is completely useless without a product key.

What would be the point of Roxio not helping someone that didn't register or wasn't the original owner? I'd like to think Roxio would be helpful with such a simple request as it would reflect kindly on the company. You still need the hardware so it's not like the software is pirated if one is in ownership of the OEM disk, box and hardware...

I PMed Rox-Ralf a request for help making my purchased useful. I will post how it goes. Not sure where else to go with this.

I took a pic of the kit I got and put it on my server so you can view it:

vhs2dvd.jpg

http://schmetzer.com/vhs2dvd.jpg

Edited by heybob, 10 September 2015 - 11:51 AM.

#10 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,802 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

heybob, I agree, it would be a nice gesture on Roxio's part, but the original purchaser should have provided you with the CD Key.  For Roxio to provide you with a key for a product you didn't buy from them deprives them of a legitimate sale.  None of the money you sent to the original purchaser goes to Roxio.  That would be their point of not helping you out.  Your purchase of their hardware second-hand provides no incentive to Roxio.

You can go back to the person you bought it from, and ask them for the key, and if they registered it with Roxio, all they'd need is to sign on and retrieve the key and send it to you.

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever. - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 750 TI video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer | ASUS-12B1ST Blu-Ray writer | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 7610 all-in-one printer/scanner | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

Instructions for posting images in your post.
Contact Roxio/Corel Support to reset your Key after too many install attempts

#11 heybob

heybob

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

Thank you for your reply... the original seller was most likely not the original owner and says he does not have the key and didn't realize it needed one. The seller was a wholesaler that sells bulk goods like a "Goodwill". I am old vietnam vet, not well, on a fixed income and found this product at a resonable price... at least I thought. Sound like I might as well have thrown the money away. Indeed I can tag seller with a negative or force a return but I honestly didn't expect Roxio to have a problem with such a simple request. I already see why people need to come up with creative fibs... there's definately a sense of resistance to help in such a case.

I'm sorry to hear Roxio needs an "incentive" to help me... but there is one... it shows the company helps people. I'd kindly make the point that, in my opinion, the "incentive" was already recieved when the package originally sold years ago.

If I buy a new car from GM, I own it... when I sell it, the new owner owns it and GM doesn't get a cut just because the product was sold used. Just a perspective... I'm not asking for much... just the ability to use this package. I understand not handing out keys to software that can be pirated but this software is useless without the associated hardware.

At the very least they could offer a product key for a nominal fee... but again this is not just software... it's a software and hardware package that was bought and paid for years ago.

#12 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,802 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

You're correct about your car analogy.  But if you sell your car, and it has an expensive "chipped" key, and you don't give him the key(s), GM is NOT going to simply give him a key out of the kindness of their heart just because he bought a used car.  They will charge him the cost of the new key, probably $50-$90.  True, a trifling cost compared to a new car, but again, there is no incentive for them to "give him" a new key.

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever. - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 750 TI video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer | ASUS-12B1ST Blu-Ray writer | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 7610 all-in-one printer/scanner | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

#13 heybob

heybob

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:01 PM

You're correct about your car analogy.  But if you sell your car, and it has an expensive "chipped" key, and you don't give him the key(s), GM is NOT going to simply give him a key out of the kindness of their heart just because he bought a used car.  They will charge him the cost of the new key, probably $50-$90.  True, a trifling cost compared to a new car, but again, there is no incentive for them to "give him" a new key.

Nice... key... clever. But I'm looking for an email with numbers and letters to make software work... not a physical piece of hardware that cost more than a little bit of someone's time.

Let me try this differently... stay in the world of computers..

you buy a video card that comes with the software needed. You loose the software.. does it matter? Not usually as the company provides legacy support and even an easily accessable link to currnet or latest software needed to make the hardware work. The hardware is always of some value if the company that sells it provides an easy way for software to be downloaded for it. The viewpoint you seem to have is the value is in the software and not the hardware. Typically when a company makes hardware, it doesn't charge if you need to replace the software needed to run it.

See how far Nvidia gets if they charge for replacing or even upgrading the associated software needed for the hardware to work. Personally, in this case where hardware is the tangable product, I don't think keys should be needed... the key is the hardware. Just my humble opinion...

Edited by heybob, 10 September 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#14 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

Thank you for your reply... the original seller was most likely not the original owner and says he does not have the key and didn't realize it needed one. The seller was a wholesaler that sells bulk goods like a "Goodwill". I am old vietnam vet, not well, on a fixed income and found this product at a resonable price... at least I thought. Sound like I might as well have thrown the money away. Indeed I can tag seller with a negative or force a return but I honestly didn't expect Roxio to have a problem with such a simple request. I already see why people need to come up with creative fibs... there's definately a sense of resistance to help in such a case.

I'm sorry to hear Roxio needs an "incentive" to help me... but there is one... it shows the company helps people. I'd kindly make the point that, in my opinion, the "incentive" was already recieved when the package originally sold years ago.

If I buy a new car from GM, I own it... when I sell it, the new owner owns it and GM doesn't get a cut just because the product was sold used. Just a perspective... I'm not asking for much... just the ability to use this package. I understand not handing out keys to software that can be pirated but this software is useless without the associated hardware.

At the very least they could offer a product key for a nominal fee... but again this is not just software... it's a software and hardware package that was bought and paid for years ago.

Welcome home heybob.  The AO, used over there,  has taken me down in the past 5.5 years.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

#15 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

heybob,  Did you try sending a private message to Rox-Raf as discussed above?  No promises buthe may be able to help.

Since that is an old program, it may not even be compatible with your computer.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#16 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:00 PM

Your picture looks like the first version hardware and it may not work with Win7 or newer... I haven't been able to pin that down but I have 2 systems that no longer recognize that hardware.

RVN 66-67, INF

#17 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,802 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:19 PM

Nice... key... clever. But I'm looking for an email with numbers and letters to make software work... not a physical piece of hardware that cost more than a little bit of someone's time.

Let me try this differently... stay in the world of computers..

you buy a video card that comes with the software needed. You loose the software.. does it matter? Not usually as the company provides legacy support and even an easily accessable link to currnet or latest software needed to make the hardware work. The hardware is always of some value if the company that sells it provides an easy way for software to be downloaded for it. The viewpoint you seem to have is the value is in the software and not the hardware. Typically when a company makes hardware, it doesn't charge if you need to replace the software needed to run it.

See how far Nvidia gets if they charge for replacing or even upgrading the associated software needed for the hardware to work. Personally, in this case where hardware is the tangable product, I don't think keys should be needed... the key is the hardware. Just my humble opinion...

Trust me, I'm well into the world of computers.  They're my job.

As for your driver analogy, I like it, and I'm rethinking my position, though the software package provided with the hardware does do a little more than simply "let you use it."  And if someone did create a separate package to use that hardware, then I would indeed expect the drivers to be free.  You're right there.  But the capture package is slightly more than just the drivers.  Printer drivers don't let you edit a document or photo, they provide the means for the editing package to print.  So I won't concede all of your point, but it's an excellent argument.  And for a printer, Epson also hopes for residual income on the consumables.  Now that I think of it, you're also right that some printer packages do come with rudimentary editing applications (I just don't use them).  So, yes, I'm good with a free install key.  Thanks for the perspective.

Looking at your picture, I believe that's the same hardware I have, and it works fine with Windows 7, though I'm using it with Creator 2012.

Dave D-W

XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

#18 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:20 AM

I think all of these analogys, I think they are irrelevant!

A manufacturers "policy" is what They say it is and that contract was made between the original purchaser and Roxio.

I have seen some dozys thru the years! - one of my favorites stated that if I wrote commercial software with their compiler I needed to contact them for a royalty schedule... My choice was to agree or return the product.

Car analogies don't even come close to that! If a mechanic buys a wrench at Sears, he is not indebted to them for part of his paycheck.

Your beef is only with the seller, because he did not make sure the product was as represented.

#19 heybob

heybob

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

Good point... but is there a poilcy? I don't see one anywhere in the manual or box.. the only thing I'm missing is the product key so if there's a policy.. I don't see it in the package.

Yes it's pointless to go back and forth. It just comes down to

If there's a policy.. share it, show me where it is

All roads explored led to Roxio support.. so here I am. Will admin show me a policy, or consider to share a product key so I can use this package? or not? Fair enough isn't it?

On a side note... since my assumption is that I'm not likely to get help here..

can somoene confirm that Roxio VHS to DVD 3 software work with the older hardware? It looks like version 3 upgrade can be bought for $15.99

vhs2dvd3.jpg

#20 heybob

heybob

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

Well I heard from Ralf. Ouch... I'm assuming his 1 sentence "the product key is on the sleeve if you got it from a valid reseller" is not a good sign. I was clear about the situation... I wasn't asking where I can find the key.. I did try again but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's older used hardware... I'm sad to see it's likely to end up in the trash... unless someone wants it.. PM me and I'll send it free. I'm not an "authorized reseller" and there's no product key... BUT you can have it free and I'd rather spend a couple bucks to ship it to someone that can use it rather than see it thrown away

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Product Key

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users