Mark_F

Customized Menu Theme Not On Finished Blu-Ray

Question

I'll admit I'm new to the 'Mac world' and so far in the first 4 months all I've experienced is frustration on top of frustration. My favorite PC video editor isn't available for OS-X, I didn't like iMovie and so went with what 'everybody' raved about, Final Cut Pro X. Well frankly, if a family member had not purchased it for me for a Christmas present I would have asked for my money back.

Whatever, I suffered through enough FCPX 'test' projects to the point I was ready to start burning them onto Blu-ray discs.

And again, the majority of folks told me to go with Toast, so here I am.

Project #1:

- I added thirty .mp4 movies from my GoPro 3+ into the project

- I trimmed as needed for best flow (all videos were shot in sequence during the same event)

- I selected automatic chapters every 10 minutes

- I selected the 'Cobblestone' menu option

- I customized it with a background image more relevant to the theme of the movie

- Then I burned it to Blu-ray

Result: Worked out great, everything worked including chapters. My biggest complaint was the awful text on the menu. For a full 1080 HD video and the text is blocky with no dithering or smoothing... that is tacky!

Ok, now to the issue on which I'm seeking resolution:

Project #2 - TAKE ONE:

- This time, since I wanted to add an intro with on-screen text along with some fades between clips I decided to go ahead and use Final Cut Pro X.

- I created a movie including Chapters and 'shared' it as a .mov Master File, the only option. :-[ NOT a smiley!

- I added the full 90 minute .mov file as one into Toast

- I selected automatic chapters using the pre-marked chapters

- I selected the 'Cobblestone' menu option as in Project #1

- I customized it with the same background image as in Project #1

Result: Movie plays fine but it did not use the 'Cobblestone' menu or my custom background. :-[ Again, NOT a smiley!

Hmmm... I wondered if it because I used the chapter markers added in Final Cut Pro X and somehow that created the awful generic menu I ended up with? [see first attached image]

With no idea what happened (IMHO, as a former software documentation writer the documentation for Toast and Final Cut Pro are practically worthless) I thought, ok, I'll redo the project and try a 'clean' .mov file with no chapter markers and make sure I don't select anything to do with a menu in FCPX.

Project #2 - TAKE TWO:

- I created the movie without chapters and as in TAKE ONE I 'shared' it as a .mov Master File

- I added the full 90 minute .mov file as one into Toast

- I selected Manual for chapters and entered them in approximately the same spots as they had been in the original .mov Master file.

- Again I selected the 'Cobblestone' menu option as in Project #1

- And again I customized it with the same background image as in Project #1

Result: Exact same result as TAKE ONE! The movie plays fine but again it failed not use the 'Cobblestone' menu or my custom background. [see second attached image]

What gives? Anyone have any ideas where the first menu came from? Was it a generic menu from Final Cut Pro X? Or was it a generic from Toast?

I guess I'm not as interested in where it came from as much as the question: How I can import an already complete movie and use a menu choice from Toast.

post-118195-0-49090600-1394053006_thumb.png

post-118195-0-40068200-1394053008_thumb.png

19 answers to this question

Just a guess, but maybe Toast can't find or access the file for CobbleStone (16x9)?

Try locating the file at Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Roxio/Toast Menu Styles/Cobblestone (16x9).psd

Even if the file is there, maybe the permissions are not set to allow Toast to read the file. All parent folders should have Read access for Everyone at least (Read-only or Read & Write).

I couldn't replicate the issue with my test files and test disc image, so it appears at first sight to be local to your setup.

What is playing the Blu-ray disc that displays the menu style you've posted? If you launch Roxio Video Player (Toast Extras menu) and select the burned Blu-ray video disc you should be able to view how the menu looks by selecting the last title by clicking an icon on the playback bar. The menu isn't functional but it does display. I'm unfamiliar with any menu that looks like what you've posted.

@theoldarchiver The file is there and there is full Read & Write access to every level of folders as well as the file. (Note in project #1 the Cobblestone menu DID work)

@tsantee To get the screen shot I used MacGo Blu-ray Player, but I saw the same thing previewing in Toast (after I burned the disc... I went back to try & figure out the problem.) I doubt it has anything to do with the software that I viewed it on the MacBook with because it displays the same funky menu when playing the disc in my Sony Blu-ray player.

Oh yeah, I just love Roxio 'support'...

Call the toll-free number and all I hear is a quick couple sentences of something that appears to be in German and I'm hung up on.

And then 'Chat Online' says, if you don't see the chat icon below there is currently no rep available, which even midday, there isn't.

Ok, so I figure I'll use email... but no link just a series of forms to fill out only to find I must purchase support.

I must say the software business has taken a distinct decline (in both quality & service) since I was in it ten years ago. I began my computer career in Tech Support, when we provided real free support... if our product was bad support at $$. So we did the right thing, made the software so good support costs were not even a blip on the radar.

And so that's why I'm here on the forum, hoping someone at Roxio actually cares and trolls the forum to help folks who just MAY want to keep using their software. I'm very close to believing I wasted my $ on a black hole of software. And I'm just about to go back on my HP laptop and use my old video editor, even if it takes twice as long, at least it worked!

Rant Setting: Off

Thanks for the responses guys!

I gave up on Toast 11 as far as making or importing menus for Blu-ray projects, and never used it for DVD projects, except to burn the final products. I use the old iMovie 6.0.3 to edit all projects and then iDVD 7.0.4 to author DVD projects. For Blu-ray projects, I use iMovie 6.0.3 for the editing and Toast 11 to make Blu-ray folders and then PC software (TEMPGEnc 5) for the authoring part.

I don't know if you can still get iMovie 6.0.3, but it was the last iMovie version that had some important features (Interesting discussion re here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2777374?tstart=0). Apple perhaps figured folks could use iMovie for simple projects and Final Cut Pro/DVD Studio Pro for the more ambitious projects. Later on, they developed Final Cut Pro X and incorporated many of the features that made iMovie easy to use, but, if you want to continue to use FCP X, you should probably use DVD Studio Pro for authoring.

Good luck!

My best guess is something is corrupted in Toast or its preferences files so that it isn't reading the menu style when authoring the Blu-ray disc. I suggest trashing the Toast plist & prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder, trashing the Toast Menu Styles folder in the Root>Library>Application Support>Roxio folder and trashing the Toast folder and reinstalling. I'd also run the permissions repair in Disk Utility.

Your user library is accessed by holding down the option key when selecting the Go menu in the Finder.

Edited by tsantee

Just now while scanning the forum trolling for any tips that may help me in the future, I believe the trouble I'm having is a result of installing the 11.2 Toast update. I came to this realization by the number of issues I see others having after the update... which seems somewhat confirmed by the fact my Project #1 was done before the update and the rest after.

Also I feel there's an outside chance the latest 10.9.2 OS-X update could be throwing a wrench into the works, as it is causing me grief with other software, including FCPX.

Ok, time to remove Toast and re-install. But now after wasting so much time on this issue I find myself asking the rhetorical question... Do I re-install 11.1, 11.2, or simply accept that Toast is toast and remove it altogether and move on, ne'er to return to Roxio/Corel?

Frankly I'm leaning to the latter.... especially after I look back to the last (awful) Corel Products I installed on my PC, and remember I gave up on them within a week of purchase :angry: and went to some VERY low-buck software ($29) to do the job and do it well for 3 years before I made this plunge into the Mac world.

It's no wonder I left the software field ten years ago... I think I'll stay off the computer for a few days, take in the great outdoors and give myself a mental reset before deciding anything.

Just now while scanning the forum trolling for any tips that may help me in the future, I believe the trouble I'm having is a result of installing the 11.2 Toast update. I came to this realization by the number of issues I see others having after the update... which seems somewhat confirmed by the fact my Project #1 was done before the update and the rest after.

Also I feel there's an outside chance the latest 10.9.2 OS-X update could be throwing a wrench into the works, as it is causing me grief with other software, including FCPX.

Ok, time to remove Toast and re-install. But now after wasting so much time on this issue I find myself asking the rhetorical question... Do I re-install 11.1, 11.2, or simply accept that Toast is toast and remove it altogether and move on, ne'er to return to Roxio/Corel?

Frankly I'm leaning to the latter.... especially after I look back to the last (awful) Corel Products I installed on my PC, and remember I gave up on them within a week of purchase :angry: and went to some VERY low-buck software ($29) to do the job and do it well for 3 years before I made this plunge into the Mac world.

It's no wonder I left the software field ten years ago... I think I'll stay off the computer for a few days, take in the great outdoors and give myself a mental reset before deciding anything.

I don't think you need to give up on Toast. First, let me do some trials. My MBP had huge problems after updating to 10.9.2 so I had to use Time Machine to revert to 10.9.1. I can test if I have any menu problem with Toast 11.2 and 10.9.1. If I do I'll try Toast 11.1. I keep a previous version of Toast on board because new bugs always appear in updates. I plan to again attempt the update to OS 10.9.2 because I believe (based on other user comments) that my issue was with having AirParrot on my MBP. If the update works this time I'll do some Blu-ray tests with Toast again.

Something that is important to note is that Toast's preferences files are easily corrupted, especially as a result of updates. The most common indicator is that Toast no longer correctly reports the size of blank discs. But not being able to read the menu styles is a new one for me.

"Toast's preferences files are easily corrupted, especially as a result of updates" All the more reason to lose confidence in the product. Oh well, moving on...

I'm about to try a trash and reinstall.... if I understand correctly I need to:

1. Trash the Library/App Support/Roxio folder (completely? I have no other Roxio software)

2. Trash the Applications/Toast 11 Titanium folder (completely?)

3. Trash the plist/prefs (I only see a com.roxio.Toast.plist)

4. Is my assumption correct I must reinstall 11.1 (11.1.1072 as originally purchased) install the Bluray plug-in (as purchased) first then update it to 11.2?

Thanks!

(Hope this doesn't double-post... I clicked Post, it had some kind of 'working' graphic for a full minute then I'm back to the same reply box.)

There also should be a "Roxio Toast Prefs" file in the preferences folder.

I suggest downloading the Toast 11.2 update from Roxio's Software Updates page rather than running the in-app update from 11.1 to 11.2. If you want both versions install 11.2 and then rename the Toast 11 Titanium folder so that it doesn't get overwritten by the 11.2 installer. The 11.2 update from the Software Updates page has all the apps included with the standard version of Toast 11. You shouldn't need to reinstall the Blu-ray plugin. Somehow Toast remembers that it was previously installed. It's been awhile since I installed the plug-in so I don't recall if that is what installs the menu styles. It may be a good idea to run that installer again but it is possible it may not be necessary.

One more thing: I completed the test using Toast 11.2 on OS 10.9.1 and the menu appeared as customized on the resulting disc image.

Edited by tsantee

Since the 11.2 update was done automatically I had no file to reinstall from so I just finished downloading it.

BTW, another look and still just a 'plist' but no Toast 'prefs' file. In fact there is not a single 'pref' of ANY kind in the Preferences folder.

If I have both versions of Toast on at the same time will they be using the same prefs?

Thanks again!

Here goes...

Since the 11.2 update was done automatically I had no file to reinstall from so I just finished downloading it.

BTW, another look and still just a 'plist' but no Toast 'prefs' file. In fact there is not a single 'pref' of ANY kind in the Preferences folder.

If I have both versions of Toast on at the same time will they be using the same prefs?

Thanks again!

Here goes...

The fact the Roxio Toast Prefs file is missing is a clue why you're having a problem. It needs to be there so hopefully the reinstall and new launch will correct this. Yes, both versions of Toast use the same two preference files. In fact, if you had Toast 10 or 9 or earlier those also share those preferences.

My update to OS 10.9.2 was problem-free this time. Toast did well creating the Blu-ray menu with a custom image added to the menu style. Now we just need to get that working on your Mac.

By the way, yours isn't the first time a user reported that Roxio Toast Prefs is missing in the Preferences folder. But those folks were having troubles, too. So it is necessary (and the modification date gets modified whenever I use Toast).

Edited by tsantee

1. Completed reinstall of 11.2

2. Opened Toast, selected Video and Blu-ray

3. Menu templates were all there but they were "4:3" instead of "16:9" and they displayed in the 4:3 format

4. Went to Library/App Support/Preferences folder but again found absolutely no prefs OR plist files.

5. Ok, maybe I must 'set' the preferences first so I went back into Toast, went to Preferences and changed a few settings

6. Exited Toast

7. Back to Library/App Support/Preferences folder and STILL found absolutely no prefs OR plist files

8. Opened Toast and what do you know, the templates now said "16:9" and displayed in the same wide format.

9. Loaded the .mov file created in FCPX, added chapters and saved the project.

10. Still having absolutely no trust the finished product will come out as intended, I selected Create Disc Image so I can test it before wasting it on another disc.

11. And now I go find something else to do while it churns ever so slowly away.

Fingers crossed...

Edited by Mark_F

Try repairing permissions using Disk Utility. Something is interfering with Toast writing these files.

1. Ran Disk Utility & repaired permissions but saw no reference to Toast at all among the 'repairs, and still no plist or prefs files.

2. Did a Get Info on the Preferences folder and I was not in the list at all so added myself and gave Read & Write access to the folder.

3. Ran Toast, changed some preferences, exited Toast and looked for either file. Nothing.

4. Then I found the original copy of the com.roxio.Toast.plist file (which I had saved before trashing) and copied it back into the Preferences folder. When I Got Info on the file I noticed it was a zero-byte file dated when I first installed 11.1 Toast back in December.

5. Still curious about the zero-byte file... I looked closer and again I was not in the list for access so again I added myself and gave Read & Write access.

6. Did #3 again with no change to the plist file and still no prefs file.

Whatever... sick & tired of wasting time getting nowhere with that end of things, let's see if my fresh install of 11.2 made any difference.

1. I opened a new project

2. Added the .mov file from FCPX

3. Created eight chapters

4. The Cobblestone menu

5. Added my own background graphic

6. Saved to image file.

7. Mounted and opened with MacGo Blu-ray player, plays immediately but no menu, no chapters...

8. Ok, what the heck, I'll get out my only re-writeable Blu-ray disc and go ahead and burn it, maybe 'mounting' the image doesn't act the same as playing a burned disc with the on-computer player (in this case MacGo... which actually will play a regular Blu-ray fine, just not one created in Toast)

9. Burned the image to disc and let Toast 'mount' it... Same crappy generic background menu as in original post. Oh the movie runs fine but what's the point when it doesn't use the menu I created?

Hmmm, I wonder it acts differently on my Sony Player?

10. Inserted disc in Sony player and what do you know? It comes up to the menu using the Cobblestone menu with my custom background.

Now by this time I should be happy, right? Hardly...

Having to jump through hoops like this only to end up with a final product that has a 90's font text on the menu, with very rough blocky edges, no dithering, as though it was 320 x 200 expanded to 1920 x 1080.

And to add insult to injury, what's the point of allowing the creation of Chapters if they will only be labeled Chapter 0, Chapter 1... why can't we edit the to something descriptive?

Just brings me back to questioning my own intelligence... I paid $100 for this software that may allow Blu-ray projects but outputs them as ancient technology????? Never again! :angry:

[bTW, as an aside here... I tried running the final burned product on several different Blu-ray players on both Mac and PC and NONE will start at the Toast-created menu, and only one Open Source freebie on the PC (Media Player Classic) actually shows chapter markings.]

Sorry it's been such a pain. I don't have MacGo player but my understanding is Macs don't play the Blu-ray menu. That's why Roxio Video Player only displays a static menu screen as one of the video's titles. You are very computer savvy but are you sure you're looking in the correct library for those preference files? The user library is accessed by holding down the Option key when selecting the Go menu in the Finder.

Sorry it's been such a pain. I don't have MacGo player but my understanding is Macs don't play the Blu-ray menu. That's why Roxio Video Player only displays a static menu screen as one of the video's titles.

That shouldn't be too big a deal, but with as much trouble as I've been having with Toast it would really be nice to be able to actually see how a project will turn out before burning a disc. If I didn't have the single BD-RW disc to test projects on I'd already have wasted a half-dozen discs.

Furthermore, it's ridiculous to have to do that, it's a wasted step and wasted time, especially since the RW disc can't be written as fast as a regular disc.

You are very computer savvy but are you sure you're looking in the correct library for those preference files? The user library is accessed by holding down the Option key when selecting the Go menu in the Finder.

Not quite savvy enough on the Mac yet... but I'm sure learning from the school of hard knocks. I was aware of pressing the 'Option' key so it was either brain fade or possibly I had another finder window open and navigated to the Library from there.

Anyway, now that I found the prefs and all the Roxio/Toast prefs files (except for Spin doctor, which I have no use for) are dated the last time I used Toast. So if I can't expect to view a menu anyway, is there even a point to deleting... sorry, trashing them?

While we're on a menu topic...

I know there are a number of optional menu styles to choose from and even add a custom background, but is there a way to change the font type, size or style, create our own menu style?

While we're on a menu topic...

I know there are a number of optional menu styles to choose from and even add a custom background, but is there a way to change the font type, size or style, create our own menu style?

The menu styles are Photoshop layered files. I haven't had any success modifying them. I choose the style that has a appealing font and then add a new background.

That pretty well wraps up this thread so for all intents and purposes the topic is 'solved' as much as it can be, at least without more customization features added to Toast.