• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
golferchris

Blu-Ray Works Fine Until Last 15 Minutes...then Pixelates.

Question

i Mac 12.2, 2.7 Ghz, Intel core i5, Mac OS 10.6.8 and Toast 10.0.9, Digistor external burner & TDK BD-R 25 GB discs - I have burned blu-rays for the past several years without any difficulty. Today I watched an 80 minute blu-ray video created last night and quality was fine until the last 15 minutes when transitions and video became markedly pixelated with normal audio. What should I do?

Chris

Edited by golferchris

7 answers to this question

You can double-check by watching the disc using Roxio Video Player from the Toast Extras menu. My best guess is you should do the project over again. This time choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. Then mount the resulting .toast file (one way to do this is to select it using the Image File setting in the Copy window) and preview the video. Hopefully all will be good this time.

I forgot that Roxio Video Player was added in Toast 11. Is there a player in the Extras menu? If not, you can use VLC Media Player.

Edited by tsantee

Burned a Blu-ray using Toast and the preview shows it all fine. Burned it to Blu-ray and the first 60 minutes of an 80 minute video is fine, but pixelates for the last 15 minutes or so. I rerendered it, and the same thing happened.

I bought a new Blu-ray burner and it still is happening.

The 80-minute video is 68 gb of video and stills (stills are less than 8 mb each, but many of them).

I'm using Toast 10.0.9, with an Imac 27 with OSX 10.6.8 with 32 GB RAM.

What in the world can I do now? Do I need to go to newer Toast?

(PS...I've made MANY Blu-rays that have been fine...but all less than this 68 gb....so I'm wondering if this is the problem.)

Edited by golferchris

Since the video plays fine from the mounted disc image, that means there is no problem with how it was encoded. That leaves the disc burning and playback as possibilities. Since you have the same experience with two different Blu-ray burners, my best guess is the problem is with the Blu-ray discs themselves. Have you tried a different brand of discs? If you aren't using Verbatim discs give those a tray. I'm making a wild guess that something is wrong after the burning is done on a different layer. I don't think that using Toast 11 will make any difference in this case. But I am just making reasoned guesses. I think it is the media.

Just burned a copy of a previous project fine. Have redone just the last 10 minutes of this "problem project" as a new project and it still starts to pixelate at the exact same place, even though this shortened project (10 min) is now the only project. Then redid all the transitions…same result. (Have been using the same Blu-ray disks for the last few years with no problems.) There is just something wonky about these last few minutes (which have been made the same way as the first part of the video.) Have changed all the variables, one at a time, and still same result. (Even changed the size of the photos in it…some were over 4 mb, so made all of them under 4 mb)…the transition is where things start to break down and pixelate, resulting in even the photos becoming pixelated. The preview seems fine…that's what is weird! No clue…getting quite frustrated. Thinking perhaps moving to Toast 11 might solve the problem? Hate to do that and continue the same! (Using Final Cut Express for making the video.) ANyone else with thoughts???

Yes this is very puzzling. You can buy Toast 11 online from Roxio and they have a 30-day refund policy. So you can try it out. Some other Final Cut users reported problems when using the Prores (I think that's the name) export with Toast so they switched to h.264. Sorry that I don't know what to suggest.

Finally uninstalled Toast 10, uninstalled Final Cut Express 4 and reinstalled both (after trashing "preferences") and now it's all working. Thank you to everyone for "looking" and helping here.