PLH503

Creator Nxt Won't Install

Question

My system- is described in the attached file "DxDiag.txt". I have also attached the latest LogFile.

Creator NXT and Creator 2012 and Creator 2011 have all given me problems with installation or reinstallation. Currently, I am attempting to reinstall Creator NXT after having "completely" uninstalled it using the recommended "REVO Uninstaller". I have read and re-read many of the posts that deal with installation issues and none of them seem to work. It is unfortunate that I do not remember what was recommended and did allow me to install the various iterations of Creator but that is the fact.

The current uninstall was done after attempting to "repair" NXT when I began having trouble working with a recorded DVD. What follows is the process that I have followed in the latest attempt to install.

- made sure that windows installer was up-to-date

- stopped startup services from "msconfig"

- I had already extracted the NXT files to the "temp" folder, so I went there and clicked on "setup.exe". Setup started OK.

- Input the language

- downloaded updates

- Roxio Install Wizard started.

- Signed the License agreement

- Entered the Product Key

- Agreed to be part of Roxio User Experience

- Chose the "Setup Type" as "Complete"

- Accepted the Install Location as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\"

- Wizard opens Ready to install

- Upon beginning the installation and within a matter of less than 5 seconds "Roxio NXT Wizard interrupted......." and it "rolled back" with no other error message.

When I look at the folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\" - - "BackOnTrack" is the only sub-folder which is present and has content.

Since I have tried to install several times I am pretty frustrated. Since I have been using Roxio Creator's various iterations, I do appreciate the program once it is installed. I sincerely hope that your wisdom will allow me to find the problem with my system so that I can get the program installed.

Thanks for your help.

DxDiag.txt

LogFile 14-04-03 15-46.zip

21 answers to this question

Thanks for the hints.

I am the administrator for my system so I don't think I need to do anything different.

I am not sure what you mean by "emulation mode"?

I did try installing in safe mode and it did not work.

Thank you.

If you have tried to install the program several times, often Windows will try to install as if you were using an earlier version of windows. Either navigate to the set up (install) on the disc or on your download and right click on it. You will see the option for run as administrator.and other information. Search this site for "emulation" you will find emulation in "properties" then compatibilities. Make sure that is NOT checked.

When I checked to see if it was running in "emulation" mode, I found that it was not checked. Nor was the box checked for "run as administrator".

OK - Now I did try to specifically run as administrator only to find that I had exceeded the allowed number of installation attempts. That's not surprising according to all of the stuff I've read on the forum. Now I need to have the attempts reset. I'll see if I can find that information and have it reset. Then I'll return.

thanks

In other posts, people who have exceeded the number of install attempts have sent a message to "Rox-Ralf". I did so but how will I know if the install attempts have been reset?

At this time I am trying to use, actually hoping to use Creator NXT(if it will install) to edit a worship service for our church. There are folks that want parts of a specific worship service video and I have been tapped to do that. However, the installed Creator NXT apparently had some issues as mentioned in my original post for this issue.

Thanks to any and all who can and will assist.

In other posts, people who have exceeded the number of install attempts have sent a message to "Rox-Ralf". I did so but how will I know if the install attempts have been reset?

At this time I am trying to use, actually hoping to use Creator NXT(if it will install) to edit a worship service for our church. There are folks that want parts of a specific worship service video and I have been tapped to do that. However, the installed Creator NXT apparently had some issues as mentioned in my original post for this issue.

Thanks to any and all who can and will assist.

Rox-Ralf will let you know.

OK. I have the reset install numbers. I also decided to "restore" the system to an earlier date when Roxio was apparently working. Then I tried to start Roxio which let to the message that shows as follows

"Critical registry keys needed for this application are missing.

To repair this issue open Add/Remove Programs from the control panel. Locate this application, then select "repair"

Ok I do that and everything works except it doesn't. The repair is executed according to the message. Then I go back to start Roxio again and receive the same message.

What wisdom do you have for me to attempt to solve this problem?

Thanks

sknis,

OK I've read your post and appreciate your response. However, I would like clarification of exactly what you suggest I do.

First - after looking at the Microsoft discussion I am left with too much information and the definite understanding that "I don't know what I am doing". Will you be more specific please.

Second - I've run the "fixit" thingy in "support.microsoft.com/kb/834484" That leaves me with several questions that I need to answer. (1) It says - Install the package to a folder that is not encrypted. - ​ I do not think any of my folders are encrypted unless that has been done without my knowledge. How can I tell? (2) Further -Install the package to a drive that is not accessed as a substitute drive.​ the drive I am using is the primary drive to my knowledge. I have not created anything called a "substitute. How can I determine if this is an issue? (3) Last condition is - Grant Full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account. (for Windows 2000 and Windows XP only)​ This is certainly not (am I correct) an issue for my problem because I am running Win7 Home Premium. Or am I missing something?

Third - I read in the Roxio KB article that "if the installation rolls back at "​direct x​" then install --- etc. If the installation rolls back at "​ .Net Framework or has error 0643 ​" then install ---- etc. OK that's pretty clear except that when I examine the "log file" that I posted and you reference, I cannot find which of the two issues possible cause the problem. I find the error code 1603 and look around in that region but, frankly, I am not sure if I can see which of them I should do.

Fourth - Should I use the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool referred to in support.microsoft.com/kb/976982? Should I UNINSTALL the .net stuff on the computer and then reinstall?

Thanks for what ever assistance you offer. I beg your indulgence of my ignorance.

I wonder if there is a possible solution to the install/re-install issues that so very many people seem to be having with Roxio Creator versions. My frustrating experience with Creator NXT is not my first. Similar issues have happened with Creator Pro 2010, Creator Pro 2011 and now Creator NXT. My earlier experiences were facilitated by Tech Support at Roxio before Corel got their hands on the company. Even then the process and time required to reach a successful install was more than in should be. What I fail to understand, is the fact that these issues have been appearing over several years and several versions of the product. If the product is as good as Roxio claims it to be (questionable as far as I'm concerned) then why can't their engineers manage to create a product that will install smoothly and then have a usability which doesn't require a PhD degree in Roxio Creator.

As it is the project that prompted all of this has been completed. Not with Roxio because have been unable to install the program. Even on another machine. But I did use a couple of FREE programs from Microsoft. Windows Live Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker. Completed the project in 4 hours INCLUDING BURNING 4 COPIES OF THE PROJECT!!!!

I am still wanting to install and use Roxio so I an still looking for the Wisdom of the Community. Please.

I wonder if there is a possible solution to the install/re-install issues that so very many people seem to be having with Roxio Creator versions. My frustrating experience with Creator NXT is not my first. Similar issues have happened with Creator Pro 2010, Creator Pro 2011 and now Creator NXT. My earlier experiences were facilitated by Tech Support at Roxio before Corel got their hands on the company. Even then the process and time required to reach a successful install was more than in should be. What I fail to understand, is the fact that these issues have been appearing over several years and several versions of the product. If the product is as good as Roxio claims it to be (questionable as far as I'm concerned) then why can't their engineers manage to create a product that will install smoothly and then have a usability which doesn't require a PhD degree in Roxio Creator.

As it is the project that prompted all of this has been completed. Not with Roxio because have been unable to install the program. Even on another machine. But I did use a couple of FREE programs from Microsoft. Windows Live Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker. Completed the project in 4 hours INCLUDING BURNING 4 COPIES OF THE PROJECT!!!!

I am still wanting to install and use Roxio so I an still looking for the Wisdom of the Community. Please.

If you have been having problems installing C2010, C2011 and NXt then the problem is with your system. I have been installing Roxio since EMC 5 on either Vista or XP machines and have never once had a problem with installing.

But to be fair, a lot of folks have had issues when trying to install...

Mine have almost always gone in with any issues ;)

But to be fair, a lot of folks have had issues when trying to install...

Mine have almost always gone in with any issues ;)

Agreed but developers cannot program an installer to take every system variation into account.

That's sort of the conclusion that I've reached as well. At the same time it begs the question. What does the "install log" tell about where to look for glitches in my system. It seems to me that it even goes beyond my system and extends into the broader computing community because mine is not an isolated case. Searching the Community here shows more than a few cases. A search on the internet shows dozens of similar problems. Looking at Roxio comments on one message board gives only one (1) positive comment while there are a couple hundred negative comments.

Since I've spent the money to buy the several Roxio products, I would like to be able to use them.

Isn't there some insight that's provided along the way?

Thanks for all that you've given thus far. Please continue.

There was a post from skinis for which I replied with several questions. I wonder if skinis would be willing to give answers to those questions? See post 12 on this thread.

Thaks

'mSince there has been no recent activity on this thread, I'll supply you with what has happened with my issue.

Since one of the GuRu's suggested that I "must be my system",I went about trying to deal with that. What I chose to do was reinstall Win7. That's never a simple project, I've found. The long and short is - I lost all use of that particular computer. It is dead until I can get the proper drivers.

I had more success with the computer that I'm currently using. I installed Win7 Home Premium on this computer followed by other software and finally Roxio Creator NXT. It was successful!

Now I'll look forward to the resurrection of my primary machine. Hoping that will allow Roxio Creator NXT to install on that machine.

I'll return with the end of the story.

Thank you all for your kind words of advice.

creator nxt 4 is the newest version and it won't install on windows 10 or 7.. get's all the way through almost and than reverses and rolls back everything. No explanation given. I've given up on it. An upgrade that is worse than the previous version.. something wrong at roxio me thinks.

creator nxt 4 is the newest version and it won't install on windows 10 or 7.. get's all the way through almost and than reverses and rolls back everything. No explanation given. I've given up on it. An upgrade that is worse than the previous version.. something wrong at roxio me thinks.

You need to post in the correct forum. Digging up this long dead thread, using a totally different software, isn't going to help you.